A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mrs. Darcy KAL  (Read 48666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007 09:40:22 PM »

I totally decided on the green.  I'm kinda crazy in my color choices, so I decided that I would rather have something completely original.  I just hope that my computer produces the color accurately-I'll find out when I get my order Smiley!!!! I'll take pics when I get my yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataleeza
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007 01:20:16 PM »

despite being all in for this KAL, I've practically finished and have hardly posted.

It's currently cream (I need to dye it - cream/white does not suit me) and lacks buttons (cannot choose them until the cardi is its final colour).

But - it looks awesome!  I safety-pinned the front together last night and danced around for about 15 minutes, admiring it in front of the mirror.  I even learned how to graft the seams properly (this is my first proper clothing item), and I must say it really does make a difference.

Can't wait to see other FOs/WIPs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
peps

Knits with Cat.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007 04:39:44 PM »

OK, I went to the craft megamart today and Patons classic wool was 2 for $8, so I figured it was a sign that I should quit obsessing about what yarn to use and start this cardigan already!

I am now the proud owner of four balls in paprika - a deep orangy color (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1731)

I'm casting on tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
nataleeza
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007 09:45:23 PM »

So, here she is, Mrs Lizzie Darcy in her just finished, unblocked-undyed-'safety pinned together' glory!

This is my first grown-up piece of clothing I've knitted, and I'm stoked with it.  It's also the first pure wool jersey I've had in my adult life, and I can't believe how cosy it is!  I'm already planning to make my 2nd sweater, although I have no idea what I want it to be, all I know is I want it to be pure wool.  Just in time for winter.

I still haven't decided on a colour for this one.  Cream/white really doesn't suit my pale-pinky skin.  I'm thinking either brown, dark green, purple or burgundy...  As the days go on, the list of possible colours gets longer...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007 07:08:28 AM »

Nataleeza, that's beautiful!  Shocked  I like it a lot better than mine....I was wearing it the other day and I keep noticing tons of little flaws...oh well. I think a nice brown or green would suit your coloring well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
peps

Knits with Cat.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007 09:00:26 AM »

Congrats Nataleeza!  It looks great - even without blocking, color, or buttons.... 

As for color, I think a rich burgundy would look great with you hair.  I've never dyed an FO before, I'm excited to see how it will turn out!

As for my progress: The yarn I'm using is kind of on the light side of worsted weight and the fabric is too gappy on the larger needles needed to get gauge (10.5), so I'm being naughty and knitting it slightly off-gauge on 9's and I'm hoping to square everything up at the blocking stage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
nataleeza
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007 02:28:41 AM »

sounds good peps, hows the knitting going?  I managed to knit it up in just over a week (including the easter break) since it's on such lovely fat needles.

I just finished dying my cardy, I decided on a dark brown, as I love the colour of your dress in your FO pic, indie-knitter.  I'll see in the morning how close it is.  I ummed and ahhed about it, but it just had to be brown.

However, I actually bought twice as much yarn as I needed for this project.  I calc'ed that I needed 12 balls, and it was on sale and only came in bags of 10.  So, I had to buy 20 (but it was still for cheaper than I could have gotten 10 balls full price).  I only used 10 on the cardy, I have another 10 to do something with.  So, while I was slaving over the dye pot with Mrs Darcy this evening, I hanked it and dyed it burgundy/cranberry.  I'm not entirely sure what colour it actually is since I'm working under yellow light, but there's still heaps of time to overdye since I'm still working on the pattern that it'll eventually be.

I'm so pleased I stayed in tonight (Saturday).  And not only will I not have to go out in the rain tonight, and I won't wake up with a hangover, I'll have a nice new FO to wear to stitch n bitch on Thursday! Isn't that just splendid?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ B. F. Skinner
zeusofcute
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007 01:40:36 PM »

mmmkay so I think I want in on this KAL... just would like to ask a couple questions before I order my yarn. I have it narrowed down to, like, two types of yarn, Cascade Pastaza or Malabrigo. I'd probs order from WEBS (yarn.com) just because I have some noro that I need and they have the colorway that I want and WEBS is about an hour from my house, so shipping is quick. (yeah yeah I know I could just go to their store and avoid shipping costs.....but things are complicated when you don't have a drivers permit/license and your mom would rather die than drive you to yet another yarn store.) Anyway. enough complaining on my part.

The cascade would be in the colorway 0054
http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/3723/#sku-171832

And the malabrigo... well, I don't know what color that would be.
http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/1226/

I was looking for a deep purple, but I couldn't really find the right color. I reallyreallyreally want this sweater to look good, it will be my first finished one ever (hopefully, as my first first sweater is sitting alone and unloved, with only one sleeve left to go. But it was stupid and ugly so I don't really care anyway Roll Eyes ) Right. So I wanted dark purple, mainly because dark purple is in the elite group of colors that looks good on me. Red hair and light skin....... yep. But I promise, dark purple looks nice. Actually, want proof? here.
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html Go to Wednesday March 28th, red & purple, florence
Thats obviously not me... but thats the same color hair that I have and the same skin tone. So I was looking for that color to do this sweater in. Anyway I couldn't really find it but I guess I can settle for something purple-ish.

So. I like the cascade color, it's pretty close to what I want, and it would be cheap too- just a bit more than 40 dollars. However, if I could squeeze the sweater out of 860 yards, I could get just four hanks of malabrigo, which is undoubtably yummier, and not much more money than the cascade (just under fifty). Sooo I'm going back and forth on it... anyone want to weigh in? Is 860 yds enough?? does malabrigo pill too terribly? Should I sacrifice color for the buttery-soft malabrigo? and if I did, which color should I go with??  I was thinking maybe paris night, or vaa...

Okay so if you made it through all of that, wow, congratulations. and If you still love me enough to give me some tips/opinions, Thank you, thank you, thank you!

ETA: so apparently there is a 20% off sale at yarnzilla, and they have four PAGES of malabrigo colors.
http://www.yarnzilla.com/default.php?cPath=1_1235_1236
all these options are killing me!  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007 01:43:24 PM by zeusofcute » THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007 01:50:08 PM »

Zeusofcute, I think you could probably get by with 860 yards. I actually found another ball of the yarn I used in my room that I had forgotten I had, so the pattern calls for less yarn than I originally thought...I've never used Malabrigo, but the things that other people have made with it have turned out so pretty! I would encourage you to go with it.
Also, Nataleeza, I want to see your dyed and seamed FO! How does it fit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
zeusofcute
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007 02:16:53 PM »

thanks indie-knitter, I'm pretty sure i'm going to go for the malabrigo, probably in the sweet grape colorway. Picking a color is tricky business! Some colorways are solid, some are lightly variegated, and some are extremely variegated, often depending on which website you look at. solid or semi-v are fine w/ me... so I guess I'm just going to cross my fingers and see what our mailwoman brings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play the Piano with Velocity
How to Play Kings Cup
Learn How to Rosin the Violin Bow
Dynamics on Violin
Learn Hot Cross Buns on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...