A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 301,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fabric/pattern organizer [pic chunky]  (Read 7577 times)
Tags for this thread: fabric_organizer , pattern_organizer , organizer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2007 06:44:39 PM »

Just plain binders?

Hardly. I have a huge fabric/pattern collection, and needed a halfway decent way of organizing them. Like a lot of garment seamstresses, I needed a way to bring swatches with me to the fabric store. But with a fabric collection of over 220 different pieces of fabric, I needed something far more "organized" than a stack of swatches on a binder ring. So... I used the whole binder! This idea extended to my patterns as well, so I could reference it to make sure I didn't buy a duplicate (I've done that before. xD)

That's the table of contents for the "Patterns" binder. It has a table of all the patterns we have, arranged by maker and number, and then it's divided by type of pattern (Clothing, Costuming, Home Decor and Crafting (for things like stuffed animals and bags))

What one of the pattern pages looks like. Room for size information (in case we have more than one size range) and comments regarding the make-up or plans of a certain pattern (you can sort of make out some of my notes)

The sheer thick-itude of the "Fabric" binder
(about two inches of swatches and info). You can see my lame attempt at segregating different fabric samples. I should probably make a table of contents, but currently they're in there by content, and then sorted by weave.

One of my favorite pages, and a good example of the info that comes with every swatch. The Tag # (every cut of fabric has a tag with a number that corresponds to the swatch binder, and a entry in a more extensive database), content, width and yardage, whatever plans there might be for it, and comments. Generally the comments will include notations about stretch, or if multiple people have claims to the fabric, what it'll be used for, etc.

So what do you think guys? Is this a little over the top?

For reference, a pic of my fabric stash...

That closet's about... two feet deep by about six feet wide and eight feet tall.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 05:47:10 PM by LadyV » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yea! Japanese speaking robots!"

I belong in 1540
ScrapBinBaby
Crafty as can be...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007 06:51:08 PM »

**jaw dropping** That's awesome!! Wanna come do mine? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If life is a trial, crafting is therapy...
Crafty mama of two who piddles into the night...
dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007 07:12:57 PM »

niiiice. I have about the same contents as you do but not nearly as organized! sheesh! My patterns are in shoe boxes and my fabric in miscellaneous carboard boxes.
way to be organized....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007 07:20:18 PM »

**jaw dropping** That's awesome!! Wanna come do mine? Grin

Heh. Everyone I've shown this to has asked that! Even the cutting ladies at the fabric store!

niiiice. I have about the same contents as you do but not nearly as organized! sheesh! My patterns are in shoe boxes and my fabric in miscellaneous carboard boxes.
way to be organized....

Ahaa, yea. My patterns are still in boxes, but they're at least sorted by clothing/costume. And I'd die if my fabric was in cardboard boxes! I'm constantly getting it out and fondling it! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
saralynne
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007 07:30:41 PM »

This is awesome! I tried to organize my fabric a while back- I made some index cards with swatches but never finished. I have way too much fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007 07:39:39 PM »

This is awesome! I tried to organize my fabric a while back- I made some index cards with swatches but never finished. I have way too much fabric.

You can never have too much fabric! I have over half a mile total and am still lusting after more! Cheesy

And I know what you mean. This project took me an entire weekend, because I kept getting fed up with it. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
DarthSqurl
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007 07:44:12 PM »

Amazingly good idea!!! That's great you have the space for all of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, my guinea pig is hairless.
dcgsews
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007 09:27:45 PM »

Wow! Shocked I aspire to get there but never do.... Cry Sigh....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007 09:33:04 PM »

amazing without a doubt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007 09:38:47 PM »

Amazingly good idea!!! That's great you have the space for all of it.

Hah, we moved into the house we're living in currently just to have more room, and yet we're still rapidly running out!

Wow! Shocked I aspire to get there but never do.... Cry Sigh....

Heh. This is like, 5 years in the making, at least. Several fabric clearances, lots of online shopping... It gets to this point eventually.

amazing without a doubt.

Awh, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
lighthematch
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007 01:06:00 AM »

Oh my gosh!  I wish I could be so organized!  my fabric gets all thrown around by a week after organizing it--I'm not good at keeping a clean house  Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Velour
Lady of the Scissors

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007 05:03:53 AM »

I can't remember where I read this quote, but this brings it to mind: "I'd love to be OCD, but I'm just too lazy"

Translation: Awesome organizing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
PirateMum
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007 06:12:23 AM »

That closet's about... two feet deep by about six feet wide and eight feet tall.

As the enabler/assister/financier of this endeavor, I must object.  Wink  Our fabric stash.  And you've been amazing about organizing everything and coming up with this plan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007 06:23:04 AM »

Ooh. Most lovely. And if I was a true seamstress/had fabric that was in big enough piece to be stable, I'd do the same!  I think it's a magnificent idea (although I have nearly every other thing in my house that could use organizing organized in binders, and make 1-5 lists of "things to do" in different capacities every day... ha. So I'm a little tedious. But still very very messy. You're stash even looks marvellously organized!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahpanda
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007 07:07:37 AM »

I think it's brilliant. You will really be glad later that you put this binder together. I kind of want to make one for me now, and I'm not a professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
april_cocaine
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007 09:27:02 AM »

I can't wait till the day my stash is so big I have to organise it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katie_ramone9
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007 09:28:28 AM »

Not OCD, just organized.  All my sewing patterns and knitting patterns are organized in notebooks too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007 01:48:41 PM »

As the enabler/assister/financier of this endeavor, I must object.  Wink  Our fabric stash.  And you've been amazing about organizing everything and coming up with this plan.

Eeee, Mummy's on Craftster. <3 Yay. Most of it's yours anyway. Cheesy

Ooh. Most lovely. And if I was a true seamstress/had fabric that was in big enough piece to be stable, I'd do the same!  I think it's a magnificent idea (although I have nearly every other thing in my house that could use organizing organized in binders, and make 1-5 lists of "things to do" in different capacities every day... ha. So I'm a little tedious. But still very very messy. You're stash even looks marvellously organized!)

It is! It's all organized by content (for the most part).

I think it's brilliant. You will really be glad later that you put this binder together. I kind of want to make one for me now, and I'm not a professional!

As long as it stays in it's semi-organized state, I think so. Cheesy It's sort of fun to make, when you don't mind tedious-ness for several hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
kraftin_kittin
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007 10:44:37 PM »

Definitely AWESOME!!! I so want to be that organized someday! You are my new role model of fabric organizing! I just recently got all of my scrapbooking in order, I really need to do something like this! I just went to a $1 fabric sale and came home with almost $200.00 worth! I don't even know what I"m gonna do with some of it, but I just couldn't stand to leave it in the store! You truly are genius!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I loves me some crafty goodness!
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007 11:11:09 PM »

Definitely AWESOME!!! I so want to be that organized someday! You are my new role model of fabric organizing! I just recently got all of my scrapbooking in order, I really need to do something like this! I just went to a $1 fabric sale and came home with almost $200.00 worth! I don't even know what I"m gonna do with some of it, but I just couldn't stand to leave it in the store! You truly are genius!  Shocked

Holy crap! $1 fabric! I would KILL for a sale like that! Even with my Hancock's closing, we don't have deals that good!

Congrats on a ginourmous addition to your stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
PirateMum
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007 04:55:56 AM »

Eeee, Mummy's on Craftster. <3 Yay. Most of it's yours anyway. Cheesy

As long as it stays in it's semi-organized state, I think so. Cheesy It's sort of fun to make, when you don't mind tedious-ness for several hours.

Yep, I finally broke down and registered.  Just what I need, more fuel for the obsessions.   Roll Eyes

And, I think, that since you've been so thorough on the groundwork, it won't be difficult to maintain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erin_p
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007 07:58:55 AM »

Way to go ladyV! The accomplishment must feel great and you should be proud of yourself! Thanks for doing the hard work and sharing it with us!

I bet it just looks pretty when you open it up too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolgrin
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007 08:09:00 AM »

This is brilliant. Wow. Grin Color me impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
TrentSketch
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007 08:20:35 AM »

Wow. I've been trying to figure out how to organize my ever growing fabric/pattern stash (justified by a failed, but still very encouraging, audition) and this looks promising.  Very promising.

Though knowing me, it will all fall apart in about 17 days, as long as it traditionally takes me to lose interest in a project (like my unitentionally nearly month long blog hiatus, heh).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007 05:29:03 PM »

omgomgomgomg - you are awesome! I would love to be organized like this, I DREAM of being organized like this...  you could make some serious $ hiring yourself out, donchaknow...   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elextra
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007 05:45:51 PM »

Oh my goodness! I LOVE YOU!
Last night I was staring at my various stashes, and I was wondering "How the hell am I going to organize this?!" and then I tried to come up with different systems but none of them seemed to be worthwhile to do, but this is amazing.

I know what I'm doing this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007 05:52:32 PM »

Oh my goodness! I LOVE YOU!
Last night I was staring at my various stashes, and I was wondering "How the hell am I going to organize this?!" and then I tried to come up with different systems but none of them seemed to be worthwhile to do, but this is amazing.

I know what I'm doing this week!

Yay! That's so awesome, glad it inspired you! Have fun with it!

omgomgomgomg - you are awesome! I would love to be organized like this, I DREAM of being organized like this...  you could make some serious $ hiring yourself out, donchaknow...   Cheesy

Heh, it'd be an awesome job, that's for sure. Going out and fondling everyone's stashes all the time!

Wow. I've been trying to figure out how to organize my ever growing fabric/pattern stash (justified by a failed, but still very encouraging, audition) and this looks promising.  Very promising.

Though knowing me, it will all fall apart in about 17 days, as long as it traditionally takes me to lose interest in a project (like my unitentionally nearly month long blog hiatus, heh).

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have project ADD, but I'm getting better about it.

Way to go ladyV! The accomplishment must feel great and you should be proud of yourself! Thanks for doing the hard work and sharing it with us!

I bet it just looks pretty when you open it up too!

Hehe, you have no idea how much fun it is to open up to really colorful pages, with happy prints and such. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007 10:01:07 PM »

Brilliant! you have really inspired me.

My fabric and pattern stashes currently exist in boxes stacked in a corner, I have no idea what is in them so I generally end up pulling out all of them in order to find what I have (or think I have)

Something like this is just what I need  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
susankg53
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007 03:01:23 PM »

years ago when I had a small amount of fabric I had this nice little rack that it was all stacked on and it was so nice to touch and look at and then one day I reached for some fabric and a crummy little mouse had been playing in my fabric. He didn't eat any, just left evidence that he'd been enjoying my fabric, so now I keep it all in nice mouse proof containers. And if I find a mouse in my house I will fire all 13 of my cats(they're not all in the house). I really love the way your fabric is organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007 12:22:58 AM »

years ago when I had a small amount of fabric I had this nice little rack that it was all stacked on and it was so nice to touch and look at and then one day I reached for some fabric and a crummy little mouse had been playing in my fabric. He didn't eat any, just left evidence that he'd been enjoying my fabric, so now I keep it all in nice mouse proof containers. And if I find a mouse in my house I will fire all 13 of my cats(they're not all in the house). I really love the way your fabric is organized.

That's the risk I currently take with my fabric stash. But, we're fairly infestation free (to the best of my knowledge), so I'm not too worried.

Brilliant! you have really inspired me.

My fabric and pattern stashes currently exist in boxes stacked in a corner, I have no idea what is in them so I generally end up pulling out all of them in order to find what I have (or think I have)

Something like this is just what I need  Cheesy

hahaha, if I had my fabric in boxes I'd constantly be pulling it out for no reason. Cheesy At least you have a reason!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
punkrockchick
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007 07:04:23 AM »

WOW!!! I only dream of being this organized!!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007 01:43:30 PM »

WOW!!! I only dream of being this organized!!!   Smiley

In the immortal words of Dr. Frank...

"Don't dream it, be it!"

(you have no idea how long I've wanted to say that!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I belong in 1540
chillsession
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007 08:08:51 PM »

This reminds me of something Monica Gellar would do!! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neeterg
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007 01:27:50 AM »

Hi,

Love your idea!  I've done some of it but you went the extra mile.  You might consider getting a computer geek (or a dot com like www.wildginger.com) to design a computer software package to do your organizing then sell the software.  It could be a big money maker!  I would certainly buy something like that and save the time and trouble of copying, writing, etc.  You could also scan your fabric in or glue it in if you want to keep the binders (and feel the fabric like I love to do), whatever your little heart desires.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamshistoric
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007 09:52:51 PM »

That is amazing! I have my fabric organized in my storage cabinet (alas, it's only enough for a storage cabinet), but I'd love to be able to carry it around, so to speak. I actually went through my fabrics again the other day and forgot I even had some of the stuff I've stashed! I think while I'm at work tomorrow I'll design some templates along these lines...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007 04:24:07 PM »

I am so jealous of your fabric stash! You have great organizational skills. You could do it professionally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colourandy
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007 08:47:02 PM »

I like it, it would be even cooler if you did all that but then organized the actual fabric like this http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/03/fabric_organizer.html
I give you major credit for having the measurements , did you have to go & measure them all ? Ooh lord.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007 10:14:55 AM »

I love organization!  Let me give you my address...  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Latest Eye Makeup and Eyewear Trends
Spray Tanning Stars
How to Get Full Brows
Custom Velvet Eyelashes at the Douglas Hannant FW 2014 Show
How Can You Find Your Sexy Scent?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...