A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: are you kidding me?  (Read 2550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007 01:55:36 AM »

hardware stores make my heart sing. so does my drill and my soldering iron. i feel sad when people assume that girls can't even use a drill...come on, people. we won't break.
how'd it go in Michael's after your man paid for his purchases? (they probably all thought, "aww, how sweet, he's paying for her art supplies" lol)

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007 08:23:07 AM »

I get mad at my hubby if he even thinks about going to someplace like Home Depot without me. Smiley
Last year for Valentines Day he got me a drill press. Whenever he tells someone this they usually have the " oh my goodness you are such a insensitive jerk " reaction and then he has to calmly explain that I like power tools and I was more than tickled to get a drill press. Smiley
I worked at JoAnns years and years ago, I remember a husband that was dragged in by his wife. He came over and was telling me that JoAnns should have a section of power tools for the guys that get dragged in. I agreed but only because it sounds perfectly logical to me to have power tools in there. I mean, you need some tools for crafting yes? Smiley He looked at me like I'd grown another head.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007 08:43:10 AM »

Well, my DH mostly fits the sterotype (although he does like to go to Michaels because they have art supplies).  However, my best friend won't let her DH touch any tools.  And he's happy not to, frankly.  Not even a screwdriver or hammer!  He brings his 9 year old son over to "help" my DH work on the dead car that lives in our garage.  Usually he and I sit in the kitchen, drink wine, and talk about clothes and fashion! 

Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007 08:44:43 AM »

I have a hatred for people who get dragged in to a shop by their s.o. and complain the whole time.  Just smile and deal with it you know?  I used to work in Claire's and I had men come in with their girlfriends and complain the entire time they were in there (it's only 5 minutes, it's not like they had to spend the whole day there like I had to.  Do that and then I'll listen to them complain!).  Some guys wouldn't even step inside the store... They'd wait outside and press their nose to the window and point to their watch.  Apparently the whole store was covered in cooties.  Some people just can't get over the gender divide.  (sorry for the rant!)

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
Endless Liz
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007 09:16:44 AM »

amberbrown- The strangest thing was that the comment came from a girl who worked in the store. I just figured anyone who worked there would be excited about an employee discount!

meanderingartist- Whenever one of us gets a new piece of equipment the other gets tool envy. I am good at sharing... though hands off my brass brush!

tatobuggy- A drill press for Valentine's Day! Aw! The romance!

My roommate's dream is to buy a pickup truck and airbrush a chasing hammer and a torch on it.

Viva la crafters, handypersons, and makers no matter their genetic nuts and bolts!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007 10:18:02 AM »

Two Christmases ago, when my kids asked me what I wanted as a gift, I said one word.  "Tools."  They thought I was nuts, but under the tree on Christmas morning were a set of hand tools and a cordless drill for Mama, and was I ever thrilled!
Your comeback to that store clerk was the best!

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
miss catbread

there's a party in my tummy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007 10:24:49 AM »

hahah this reminds me of one trip to the home depot i took...my bf had dropped a comb in the toilet while he was flushing it [dont ask me how he did this!!] and it made it so liquids could go down ok but anything with mass [ie toilet paper, poop etc] would get stuck as the comb was acting like a grate. he refused to stick his hands in there or anything so of course i go to the home depot and get a pipe snake at the bf's request. the guy was like "why are you the one buying it. shouldnt your bf be here getting it and fixing it" almost as though i were inept to fix things because i was a woman. AS IF! anyways to wrap up the story after about an hour of my bf trying to "fix" the toilet because you know, me being a woman, i couldnt possibly have the knowlege or brain power to fix it because my little woman brain was too full of recipies, lullabies, and doily patterns to possibly fathom fixing a toilet, i skip into the bathroom and say "let me try honey" and of course i got the "well if i cant do it what makes you think"...speech anyways...i stuck my pink plastic glove laden hand in the toilet and pulled the comb out. i knew that was all it took and thats all it was the entire time, i just had to wait to prove a point.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007 10:36:38 AM »

My husband is thrilled that I like tools. All I had to do was mention that I "needed" a router and a drill press. I had them both within a week. No birthday or holiday.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007 01:39:01 PM »

we bought a house this last Nov and suddenly we "needed" more tools too.  Like an air compresser and some air tools to go with it. We're planning on building a garage/shop so this is completely justifiable. Of course I'm also thinking about all the other little things I could make....
A router is on my list of needs too. soon... Smiley

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007 02:08:06 PM »

This reminds me of a time when we moved in to a flat that had no lock on any of the internal doors (including the pantry, which had a spring-open door, and it needed a brick on the floor to hold it shut!)

Needless to say, this was not acceptable!  I would not live with 2 guys, and not have a lock on the bathroom door!  So I borrowed my dad's drill, and chisel etc (I have those now, but I'd just moved out at the time) and decided I'd do it in the weekend.

My b/f decided he'd give it a go first - being a guy, what could go wrong?  However, his parents never fixed anything, and in fact had never even done decorating or furniture shifting.  And he messed up.  I mean, the door stayed shut, but he just drilled a hole into the frame, and drilled the latch onto the door.  It was a bit messy.

So, I was gutted I didn't get to do that one, so I told him he would leave the toilet door for me.  So, I chiseled out a wee square for the hole-doohickey on the frame, drilled pilot holes before drilling any screws in etc.  And for a first timer, it looked pretty awesome!

A (male!) friend of ours came over and told me that Blair (the b/f) had done a much better job upstairs, he must have learned from doing the pantry.  I quietly told him I did the better one, but don't rub it in Blair's nose!

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 4
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 4
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...