A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ careers in craft. ]  (Read 2108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itscribe
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007 03:04:27 PM »

Knowing what I know today and thinking of what classes are offered at most colleges; I would highly recommend the following...

1. Entrepreneurship courses - often are hard to get into - fight hard.
2. Basic web design - even if you hire someone else to do it for you, you will at least know what they are talking about (might be cheaper and easier to take at a community college during the summer - uni courses may cover way more than you'll need)
3. Public Speaking - make sure the course actually involves making speeches, some of the major schools are 100% lecture - IMHO a waste of time without having to actually make a presentation - this would be good for selling face to face directly to customers as well as dealing with suppliers and retailers
4. The most basic of Accounting Courses - a real hole in my bag of tricks
5. Marketing & Advertising
6. Creative Writing - will help you to write your business plan as well as your product descriptions, if it's mainly poetry I think I'd skip it tho.

Some schools have become very progressive and will let you essentually make up your own major because they know the world is changing faster than they are - you might want to look into that.

If you can find it, get your hands on a copy of Create magazine. Once a year they have a creative schools issue - might give you some ideas to check out. Create seems somewhat geared to graphical artists, but quite a few of the schools offer other areas as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007 10:52:55 AM »

xfoxglove-
I know exactly how you feel. Only at least you're in school. I'm so indecisive, it makes me procrastinate for fear that I'll get into something and hate it and want to back out. Only to be stuck in my 9-5..blech. For me I went back and forth with Culinary school and art school, graphic design/web design, & cosmetology, fashion design, interior design,surgeon, lets see making cosmetics, perfumer, pre-school teacher, translator/interpretor, novelist, and recently esthetician,dermatologist or ASL teacher. All of those are pretty hands on and creative. But my advice is just keep going to school I'm 20 and wasted like 3 years practically out of hs not going to school because I waited and then life handed me a curveball with family issues. Anyway my advice is to figure out what you want and don't want, I exed out alot of said careers because i realized I either didn't have the talent or the effort to go to school for what I wanted to do. Now I'm stuck in a job I dislike wondering what I'm gonna go to school for and when.
I'm planning on going to esthetician school, do that so no more office work..YAY!  I loathe office work ::shudders::
If I like working with skin like I think I will, I'll use that to put myself through dermatology school. If not then I'll take it from there. Just do whatever it takes to figure out what it is you want from your job, what you want, don't want and are willing to do and not willing to do. Besides you can always go back to school again if you hate your major.
If there's hope for me a big procrastinator, you can do it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
xfoxglove
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007 11:51:12 AM »

First, I wanted to thank you all for the thoughtful comments.  It really means a lot to me to know that people took time to write and to share their opinions.  So, thanks!

itscribe makes a really good point.  I'm doing my best to work in classes that will really benefit me later on.  I don't want to waste my electives or core classes when I can be getting something out of them.  Unfortunately a lot of my core classes are already completed.  No maths for me, I took AP Calculus in high school.  Things like that.  But I'm hoping to get into a computer/web design class to fill my science core in the spring of next year.  So many classes fill up so fast!

& jennygurl, I know what you mean about indecision.  I'm currently going back and forth with so many things.  Wanting to just focus on a crafty business.  Wanting to do creative writing.  Wanting to do any writing.  Anthropology.  Linguistics.  Going to our tourism school. 

I've really been considering careers more than just picking a major and then being lost as to what I should do with it at graduation.  I mentioned it before, but I've recently been considering museum work.  Either working with the collection or working with events there and the like.  I suppose I could be creative in that aspect, but I'm still keeping my options open.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
itscribe
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007 03:22:55 PM »

If you are interested in museums - maybe look into restoration? You get the anthropology and the crafty all in one package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xfoxglove
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007 04:25:52 PM »

Do you mean like art restoration?  Or working with the collection?  Or perhaps both?  I really didn't think that was so seperate of a field.

Eep! I hit modify instead of quote! I'm so sorry! I'll see if I can somehow get the rest of your post back Embarrassed - jungrrl
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007 08:37:09 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007 04:39:58 PM »

Have you talked to people who are doing the kinds of jobs you are thinking about? Since you talked about working in a museum, I would go find someone who does fund raisers or other events and someone else who does restoration work and some one else who is in charge of getting pieces for the exhibits, etc, etc and see what they have to say. How did they get into it, what degress do they have, how did those degrees help them, what do they wish they would have studied in college to make their job easier. I think you will find that people are usually pretty willing to talk about themselves.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007 09:01:01 AM »

Do you mean like art restoration?  Or working with the collection?  Or perhaps both?  I really didn't think that was so seperate of a field.

Alright so let's try this again.  Embarrassed

It can be different.  I guess it really depends on what kind of museum you work in and how you interact with the collection.

Also, just a little reminder to keep it craft-related, please! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bekahzzz

www.sew-knit.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007 10:28:14 AM »

I looked into restoration a lot and you need to take some chemistry courses too. Every piece in a museum needs restoration, whether you are preventing future damage or helping damage already done.  Its actually more of a science than a craft, although you do need to be good with your hands.

You do specialize in certain types though like...documents, fiber, oil canvas, sculpture, metals.....its all depends...and you will then typically deal with those types of artifacts.

Hope that helps...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sew-knit.blogspot.com

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/bekahzzz

I'm interested in personal swaps!!
created_by_wendy
Confused Crafter

Boredom breeds creativity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007 11:35:38 AM »

Ok I don't want to be a downer or discourage you.

Before I start let me give you some background. I come from a very "crafty" family. My grandmother knitted, crocheted, and sewed. My mother sewed, embroidered, did watercolors, pastels, and has done just about every craft under the sun. My dad embroidered, made glass beads, some silversmithing, also custom framing, gardening, wood working and did a lot of photography. My sister knits, crochets, makes soaps, jewelery, flavored schnapps, and lots of wiccan/pagan items. My niece draws, crochets,and makes jewelery.  Myself, I make jewelry, I work with polymer clay, gourd art, glass etching, paper crafts, sew, I do a lot of custom stuff for people.

When I was about 6 (Very early 70's) my parents opened a "gift shop" it was a small place off of a steak house on a major golf course in central AZ. Lots of neat stuff my parents and others made. My dad had a regular job, so my mom ran the place.  I remember a lot of people comming in saying, "Oh isn't that cute." Or, "Wow I've never seen anything like that before!" But mostly I heard, "I bet I can do something like that."  Unfortunately it didn't last a year.

When we moved to Tucson my mom tried her hand at craft fairs. Everytime there was a fair, we went. My mom set up her table, with all kinds of stuff her and her friends made (mostly sewn items) again with the..."Wow I've never seen anything like that before!"  "I bet I can do something like that."  She hardly made any money. Most everything she made was given as Christmas presents by the end of the year.

When I hit my late teens my dad was getting frustrated with his "regular" job and my parents decided to open a custom framing and gift shop (this was before Tucson had a Michael's and way before Ben Franklin's or anyone else was doing custom framing). By this time I was making Christmas ornaments and other small knick knacks. There were a lot of "lookie loos" for the gift area, but when people started asking about the pricing for the framing, they would walk out. Needless to say my dad was way undercutting himself on his time and effort. The shop lasted 2 years and 2 location changes before the rent and utilities on the shop was out weighing what we were making to keep the place open.

Now, my dad has moved back east and is working for a pottery/garden shop. He loves it. More power to him. My mom is no longer with us. I make craft items that my sister tries to sell for me. (Not much luck with that so far) I make things but don't try to sell them any more, I usually give them away for gifts. I was teaching at one of the local Michael's  part-time before people started loosing interest in my classes. I made 46 pairs of earrings for a garage sale yesterday, prices ranged from $2 to $5 a pair which I thought was reasonable. I sat there for 5 hours and sold 1 pair for $2. I also had a display made up with samples of stuff I have made with a sign that stated I do custom gifts and crafts, and all they wanted to do was by my brand new craft tote I had all my supplies in. It was very discouraging.

I don't want to be a downer I swear. Things may be different in the area you live in. I don't know.

These are just the experiences I have had.
The only advice i have is....

1.) Find something really different from what everyone else is doing. Feature it!

2.) If you can't find something different, put a different spin on something that's already out there, make it your own.

3.) Have a back up plan. ( For my family it's a "regular" job)

4.)  Please don't get discouraged. Keep trying.

5.) Start out small. If you can wear what you create and someone shows an interest...hand them a business card or a piece of paper with your contacts on it. With a tag line that says...."I can make one for you too!" (This trick worked a few times with myself and my sister.)

6.)Remember that everything goes in phases. What may be popular today may be out dated or not interesting to people 3 to 6 months down the road.

Sometimes giving something away may help too. I have gotten a few "bites" from people that have seen a family or friend wearing something I have made. I usually give something to some one and say, "If some one shows an interest in it, give them my name and number." I have gotten a few glass etching jobs this way.

Please don't get discouraged. Just remember it may take awhile for things to come together.

Everyone has given you great advice. Hopefully my experiences my help you too.

Wendy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa Mc
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007 12:20:51 PM »

I worked for years as a career counsellor, but now I run a craft based business, so I've used a few resources in my own work that might be helpful to you.  You might want to check out this link:

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/nocsearch.asp

The site can be a bit tricky to navigate if you're not used to it, but it has good info for thousands of different careers.  It's a Canadian site (sorry, I'm not as familiar with U.S. career resources).  Click on the plus sign beside "skill type and skill level",  then under "occupations in skill type" choose 5 Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport and under "occupations requiring skill level", choose whatever level of training you're willing to complete and click on search.  This will give you a long list of different types of jobs related to art/craft (you'll also get recreation and sport, so you'll have to ignore those).  If you click on the number beside any job title that's interesting to you, you'll get a brief description of the job (remember the qualifications stated are Canadian, so you'll need to confirm the training requirements are the same in the U.S. - it usually is the same, but not always).  Many people aren't aware of the huge number of career options that exist, and this site might help you to get some ideas about different art/craft related career options that you haven't thought about.

There are plenty of different types of jobs related to art/craft/culture but people often are either not aware of them, or they shy away from them because they're afraid of the starving artist cliche.

You mentioned some interest in psychology.  Have you ever considered combining that with your interest in craft/art to explore art therapy as a career goal? Obviously I don't know a lot about you to make a really informed suggestion, but it was the first thing that jumped to my mind when I read your posts here.

Do you have career counsellors on campus?  It might help to visit their office. 

Here's another resource you might like http://www.cdm.uwaterloo.ca/index2.asp -sorry it's not craft related- but it's a fantastic resource for anyone trying to make career decisions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Business Success Guide for Craft Professionals
www.inspiri-art-and-craft.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Barbecued Halibut with Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Triple Play Pork Recipe
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Grilled Rack Of Lamb With Anise And Garlic
Cedar Planked Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...