A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass BLowing and New Jersey  (Read 2261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2004 12:32:58 PM »

Has anyone ever been to Wheaton Villiage, a historical villiage in Millville, (south western) New Jersey? They have ceramics, glass blowing, and decoy (those wooden ducks) desmonstrations. It's very interesting and a great thing to do on an overcast day. If you're near Philidelphia or Cape May, go check it out. The Museum of American Glass is really interesting... they have so many bottles, vases, and artistic stulptures for viewing. They also have a house made of antique glass projection slides, the world's largest hand-blown glass bottle (7 foot 8 inches), and more. Does anyone here know how to do glass blowing? If so, rock on! Haha. They also have classes (if you're 18 or older) where you can make a glass-blown paper weight and take it with you in a day. They have some $3,000 glass paperweights for sale! Yikes!

The website for this great place is http://www.wheatonvillage.org/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miffy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004 12:49:38 PM »

http://www.urbanglass.org/index.htm

Urban Glass in NYC. You can go there and take classes. It seems pretty expensive (around 100-150 USD) but I think it's worth it. They have bracelet making where they teach you how to make the glass beads, supply all materials, and you get to make and take home a glass-bead bracelet that you make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004 02:37:18 PM »

http://www.urbanglass.org/index.htm

Urban Glass in NYC. You can go there and take classes. It seems pretty expensive (around 100-150 USD) but I think it's worth it. They have bracelet making where they teach you how to make the glass beads, supply all materials, and you get to make and take home a glass-bead bracelet that you make.

Yeah, wow, that's really cool. I don't think $150.00 to learn how to do it one-on-one with an instructor is very expensive. It would be different if you had to go with a large group and didn't end up doing it correctly. I want to do that someday...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookla
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004 02:42:38 PM »

Wheaton Village is definitely on my to-check-out list.  I'd love to take a glassblowing class, especially after going to Venice this summer and seeing it done.  Fascinating!! There's a glassworks closer to me in Philly but it's something like $450 for the sessions.  Ouch, a bit pricey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004 03:44:33 PM »

Wheaton Village is definitely on my to-check-out list.  I'd love to take a glassblowing class, especially after going to Venice this summer and seeing it done.  Fascinating!! There's a glassworks closer to me in Philly but it's something like $450 for the sessions.  Ouch, a bit pricey!
Yeah, to make your own paperweight... it's only $55.00, I think. Seems incredibly cheap, if you ask me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Homemade Lo Mein
Korean BBQ Braised Oxtails Recipe
Perk Up Your Afternoon With a Glass of Thai Iced Tea
How to Make a Cambodian Coconut Shrimp Sandwich
How to Make Kimchi Pancakes and Butterscotch Apples
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...