A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tattoos at Wedding?  (Read 8654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 11, 2007 01:36:02 PM »

Here's something I've been thinking about for awhile, and hopefully it's okay to post here - maybe someone can figure out a crafty solution for me Smiley

I've got tattoos.  Only two of them matter, since anything else will be covered.  The first is about 4x4 on my shoulder, which may or may not show, depending on the style of dress I get.  The second is about 1x2 on the back of my leg/ankle, and will pretty much have to show no matter what. 

My questions:
1.  Is it tacky for the bride's tattoos to show?  I'm kind of iffy on the subject, and my FH would just as soon they show, but I have older family that's conservative, so... what do you think?
2.  Is there any way that you know of (preferably crafty) to cover them up?  Any specific makeup you know of?  Some super secret mixture of household products?  I know that there are tattoo-cover kits out there, but all the ones I've seen have gotten bad reviews or are really expensive for not knowing how well they'd work.

Help, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007 01:43:19 PM »

If you decide you want to cover them, the best thing I know of is Sally Hansen spray-on pantyhose. I use it to cover my tattoos when I do plays and it is awesome. It only costs about $8 and each can has many many uses. It's an aerosol makeup which is virtually transfer-proof (you have to wash it off with soap and a washcloth).

That said, I think it is totally appropriate for a bride to let her tattoos show--anyone who knows you probably already knows you have them,--but the last thing I would want to do on my wedding day is defend myself against picky old in-laws, so I guess I'm not sure what I'd do . . .

UPDATE: You can get it at Wal-mart or probably most drug stores. There might be similar products by other brands, but this is the only one I've tried. Also, the directions say to spray into your hands then rub on, but for tattoos I spray right on then blend the edges.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007 01:57:58 PM by The Sundance Kid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007 01:46:12 PM »

product referral appreciated and noted, The Sundance Kid.  The thing is, most of my relatives (who don't know me well at all) don't know i have tats, so i'm torn.  i'd rather have them saying "wow she looks lovely" than "is that a TATTOO?? Shocked"  but i think you got the dilemma.  Smiley

where does one get this sally hansen spray on pantyhose?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007 01:53:52 PM »

As long as it's not huge across your shoulders "I hate great aunt Beatrice" I say show off your work.  People will be there to share YOUR special day with YOU not to bitch about you having visable tattoos.  Honestly if I were you, I just wouldn't invite those who would ruin your day by complaining about something that is part of you.  

Now, if it's family you're close to like grandma or something, then maybe consider covering it.  I dunno, I'm really on the fence about it.  Just do what makes you comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007 02:52:10 PM »

Don't mean to be a thread bummer, but please try to focus this topic more on the crafty aspect, covering up the tattoos, rather discussion of it's "right or wrong" to show them.  That's a matter of personal preference/etiquette rather than something craft-related, which is what Craftster is all about. Smiley

Sorry I can't be of more help... I don't know of any makeup or crafty remedies.  Hmph.  Ironic you started this though.  I'd never thought about it until I saw one of those kits in a wedding magazine the other day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007 02:54:24 PM »

sorry, sweets  Embarrassed

i had thought about doing a shawl/clapotis/whatever to cover up the shoulder tat, if needed, but short of legwarmers, i can't think of anything for the leg/ankle one.  is it possible to make a "sophisticated" or "formal" shawl or clapotis?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007 02:59:44 PM »

It's okies - thanks for not throwing rotten tomatoes at me/my post. Cheesy

Would you actually see the one on your ankle?  I guess it depends on the length of your dress/if you were doing a garter toss.  Half the time we can't even see the bride's shoes, let alone her legs.

The spray Sundance mentioned sounds good, though!

For your shoulders, would you really want to wear a shawl all night (at the reception, for example)?  I've seen some pretty ones for the ceremony, but the brides usually ditched them for the party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007 03:05:32 PM »

i'm not sure - it's going to be a spring wedding, and i'm leaning heavily toward a tea or cocktail length dress, so it's possible that the lower one will show.  getting a longer dress would probably cover that tattoo, but i don't want to choose the dress based on what it will cover, y'know?  ideally, if i did have a shawl, it'd be a really light one, but i'm sure i wouldn't wear it all night.  i guess it'd be more of a security thing during the ceremony, and, once i was more comfortable and less nervous i may not necessarily care who saw tattoos. 

on the other hand, i could just use the spray, if i can find it, and not worry about dress length or a shawl... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007 03:07:40 PM »

Ahh... yes, that all makes sense.

Here's the spray she mentioned! Smiley http://www.sallyhansen.com/airbrush_legs.cfm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007 03:09:59 PM »

woo hoo!  thanks for the link Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Sports Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Product Photography
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Portraits
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for People-In-Landscapes Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Panorama Stitch Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...