A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about pressing small edges  (Read 799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2007 01:34:58 PM »

Hi Craftsters,

I am a very new and self-taught sewer (seamstress?) and I have a question about the easiest project in Lotta Jansdotter's new book, Simple Sewing. The pattern is for napkins but she gives instructions for making coasters in the same pattern.

I am working on pressing the edges in 1/4 inch and I keep burning myself with the iron. I never did a seam like this and I think maybe I am using the wrong tools. Is there an easier way to press these tiny creases? Is there some tool for this that I am missing? Am I just a klutz?

After I finish the coasters I plan on making the backpack from the same book, and the pattern uses the same technique. If there's some easier way to press these small creases I would love to know it because I'm sure I'll be using this technique a lot!

Thanks (in advance) for the help.

Yours Truly,
Burnt Fingers in Phoenix
(Illanna)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nannalexi
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007 01:47:35 PM »

You can find a small ironing tool at probably Michaels or Hobby Lobby or any Fabric Shop.
Sure wish I had one. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeraTFox
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007 02:17:25 PM »

There usually called quilters irons. They look something like this.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s4/teratfox/mini_fer_quilters_iron_140x600.jpg

Like nannalexi said, you should be able to find them at most craft stores. Yeah, wish I had one to, guess that means I have to ask (make) my husband buy me one. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for black long pile faux fur, can swap japanese items, fabrics, or handmade purses, clothes...pm me and let me know
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007 02:18:50 PM »

i read in the newest martha stewart living that you can use a straightening iron (for hair) on shirts between buttons that a regular iron wouldn't reach - i'd bet you could use a straightening iron for this, too...  depending on the fabric.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
A_Patchwork_Orange
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007 09:30:45 AM »

You don't need to go buy anything new!  Grin
Instead of using your fingers to hold over the edge, you can use a tool of some sort (like a wood dowel) to hold the fold.  That way your fingers are not under the iron...which would still happen, even with a smaller iron.
I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007 06:36:18 PM »

I have done this without burning!   Smiley

I used a little metal ruler; it's under a millimeter thick.  There is a little slider on it you can adjust to make sure everything you measure is the same length.  I folded 1/4" over the ruler and ironed it, and there was my 1/4" seam!  I held the fabric far enough down-seam so I didn't iron me.  Easy as pie!  It took a really long time to press the whole side (it was the top edge of a pocket), but it came out looking really really nice.

You can look here to see it.  You can probably find them anywhere you can buy other sewing stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007 04:20:19 AM »

Wow thank you SO much!

Mishti, I looked through my supplies, and I already have that little metal ruler you're talking about. I never knew what it was really for. I'm going to try that, combined with Patchwork's suggestion of using a tool to hold it down, and see what happens.

If i still need the smaller iron, I noticed that Joann's has a sale on them this week, so maybe I'll check it out.

I appreciate your suggestions! Thank you thank you!

Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007 09:50:51 PM »

here's a trick i usewhen I need to make small hems with the iron. I fold the fabric the size it needs to be then i hold it at each end and run it over the edge of my table. it flattens the seam enough that i can iron it without problems. I call it the lazy seam and sometimes I don't even bother to press if I pull the fabric hard enough and get a nice smooth edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ciara on Her Tomboy Style
Summer Swimwear Takes a Retro Look
Dress Made From Wine
Summer Fashion Tips for Showing Off Your Legs
Style Rat at Governors Island: Retro Twenties Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...