A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 96
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions About Hairstyles!  (Read 121915 times)
Tags for this thread: hairstyle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsea K
« Reply #790 on: April 27, 2009 08:40:46 PM »

That sound cool! I used to do funky colors all the time but its too expensive

p.s. please don't grow it out
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009 08:42:53 PM by Chelsea K » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #791 on: April 28, 2009 04:04:15 AM »

How weird would it look if I just let it grow out?
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/DSC002054.jpg

I'm surely not an expert, but, maybe to answer your question with one.
What if you just use temp dye on the parts that are growing in?

Because I read there are 3 types of color... Temp, semi-perm and perm and that temp hair color deposits dye on the outside of the hair shaft, where it washes away relatively quickly. Like within 6-12 washes. Just an idea ^_^
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009 09:55:00 AM by MareMare - Reason: To remove image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mycatisnosferatu
« Reply #792 on: April 28, 2009 06:55:10 AM »

I've been coloring my hair for the last 6 months black.  I'm done with it and I want to go back now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinymandolin
« Reply #793 on: April 28, 2009 08:20:37 PM »

I have a question.
I hate my job. I hate how my job treats me.
I want to go to cosmetology school to be a hairdresser. I'm just scared of all the stories I hear about people hating it and dropping out. my mom was a hairdresser and she taught me alot about everything. I think I'd really love doing it. I guess I'm just scared of failing. so is it a worthwhile career to persue? can I make good money off of it? what are some things I should know about it?

I went to school for cosmetology, obtained my license, and now work as a professional hair and makeup artist.

What people said before... yes, school is hard. Once you are "on the floor" --or putting your skills to work on people who are coming in and paying for services from students-- you are basically working full-time for no pay except the measly tips clients sometimes give you. In my state the entire program takes one full year, meaning no summer vacation or holidays, and it was forty hours a week. Of course, you can shoot for the stars and do more if your school offers it--for example, by my last four months of school I was going 53 hours a week just to get done quicker.

There is also the matter of the students. You may be the kindest, most diligent and respectful person in the world... but someone is going to hate you. Or you'll end up being bothered by someone else. And it is drama, drama, drama all the time. But you have to remember, most the girls who go to beauty school go because they think it is easy. That's about 3/4ths of the student body. Then there is the 1/4th that go because they love hair and makeup and want to be in the beauty industry--like me.

If you are serious about becoming a stylist, and really have the drive for it, and think you have what it takes to succeed, go for it. Be forewarned, however, about the time commitment involved and the challenging social circumstances you will encounter each day. I don't say these things to scare of would-be cosmos, but I wish I would have known those things back before I started cosmetology school, it would have been nice to have been better prepared.

But the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow: I finished, got my license, found an awesome salon, have great clientele that is increasing every month, and I love what I do. I'm so glad I didn't quit when I wanted to quit, otherwise I wouldn't have a job that I look forward to each day. Oh, and I have a reason to do my hair and make-up and look good every day. ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinymandolin
« Reply #794 on: April 28, 2009 08:37:59 PM »

I've been coloring my hair for the last 6 months black.  I'm done with it and I want to go back now. 

Here is my advice as a professional stylist: You are going to have to strip the hair with bleach, that is the only way to remove black. I wish people would never color their hair black, because it is the most difficult thing for the hair when they decide they want their natural again... and can be the most damaging.

You need to go to a professional hair stylist. This is not something to do at home. Your stylist will be able to make something called a "bleach cocktail" -- also can be called a bleach soap cap, or just soap cap, depends on how they learned what the technique is called -- and they will probably have to do it twice. Just on the black, not on your outgrowth. This is to strip the black from the hair. The reason it might have to happen twice, maybe three times??, is because you have already layered the black by coloring your hair multiple times the past half year.

After they cocktail your hair, it will have an orangeish tiny most likely, but it will no longer be black. It might also have color variations along the strand, depending on how well certain parts of the hair shaft let go of the black... meaning, it won't be all uniform.

So what you do next is have your stylist color your hair with a permanent color, not demi or semi -- it needs to be permanent to prevent fading -- and I would suggest choosing a color that is close to your natural. If you want highlights, or sunkissed looking hair, you're going to need to wait and work on repairing your hair after all that it will have gone through.

Also, get a professional deep conditioning treatment. This is a must. You cannot skip out on this, because your hair will be severely stressed and will require all the help it can get.

So, here are the bullet points:
- Don't dye your hair black anymore! Sad
- Find a professional salon and inquire about their skills concerning corrective color
- Have a professional stylist bleach cocktail (or soap cap or bleach soap cap or whatever they call it) your hair until it matches your natural level, aka you're outgrowth. This might take two or three times. Hopefully only two.
- Have the stylist color your hair with an all-over permanent that is close to your natural.
- You must do a deep conditioning treatment!!!

If you want to continue coloring your hair, or get highlights, or whatever, I would say to do at least three deep conditioning treatments within the month and a half before you plan on coloring again.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinymandolin
« Reply #795 on: April 28, 2009 08:43:51 PM »

thank you very much Diana dOr! Grin

ok soo I have a question..
I want a blue streak in my hair..just one strand on my left side where my hair is longer. I used blue hair dye and 30 volume peroxide and left it on for at least an hour. I've tried this three times..when my hair was red I tried to do it with the blue and the 30 vol. didn't do anything..few weeks later I tried bleaching it first..still nothing. so I give up. a couple months later I dye my hair very dark brown and decide to try the blue streak again. tried the blue + 30 volume..nothing happened.
I've never had this happen to me before in the 10 + years I've been dying my hair. soo I guess what I'm asking is,  what am I doing wrong? and how can fix that so I can have a blue streak in my hair?

Before I can know what you might be doing wrong, please answer these questions:

- What color is your hair right now, where you want the blue streak?
- What color are you using to try and achieve this? Is it Matrix, Wella, Redken, Joico...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molly.Connelly
« Reply #796 on: April 28, 2009 10:06:26 PM »

Before I can know what you might be doing wrong, please answer these questions:

- What color is your hair right now, where you want the blue streak?
- What color are you using to try and achieve this? Is it Matrix, Wella, Redken, Joico...?
well that's not really an issue anymore..but then again it kinda is.
I went to a stylist to get my hair cut and colored and the ends stayed dark brown and the roots where a brassy blonde when the color I wanted was a medium reddish brown. well she put a demi color on it which looked great but it's already starting to fade and fast (and it's only been 2 weeks!) is it too soon to dye it again? and if I dye it will the same thing just happen again? I did cut off alot of hair so I'm not sure how much of the dark brown is left but I'm sure that there's still a good inch or so left since my bangs are now a dark brown and my roots are the medium reddish brown color that I want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diana dOr
« Reply #797 on: May 10, 2009 12:01:49 AM »

Here is my advice as a professional stylist: You are going to have to strip the hair with bleach, that is the only way to remove black. I wish people would never color their hair black, because it is the most difficult thing for the hair when they decide they want their natural again... and can be the most damaging...

Great advice, I just want to add that it's a good plan to go in for a consultation with the salon you pick and get a price quote. This will prevent any surprises and give you an idea of how experienced the colorist is at color correction. Be prepared to get to know your colorist because it is a process.
If you experience color fading after going through the process, it's normal because your hair has gotten some damage but it will eventually even out. Don't be discouraged black hairs!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009 12:02:45 AM by Diana dOr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knitting is a boon for those of us who are easily bored.  I take my knitting everywhere to take the edge off of moments that would otherwise drive me stark raving mad"
fromsophia
« Reply #798 on: May 13, 2009 01:54:52 PM »

Ok so this is what my last hair cut looked like thats me V

but I have let it grow out I got it cut in October my hair is now a little past my shoulders and my bangs are chin length I kindof want the girl version (or just the normal version as he already has girl hair) of Noel Fieldings hair cut

or something Karen Oish

or should I let it grow out or just go back to the plain bob  Huh I have a hair problem please help.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 10:00:02 PM by MareMare - Reason: to remove hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #799 on: May 13, 2009 06:40:10 PM »

My votes on Karen O.
Reminiscent of Early Cher, but I LOVE it <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 96 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Knit Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Entralac Blocks
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Double Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do a Treble Stitch
Tunisian Crochet: How to a Reverse Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...