A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 96
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions About Hairstyles!  (Read 124365 times)
Tags for this thread: hairstyle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gina-marie
« Reply #710 on: August 17, 2008 06:08:31 PM »

I have a question!  Does anybody know if toneing that brassiness out of blonde hair causes a lot of damage?  I bleach my hair all the time with only 20 vol developer and it's been fine I'm just a little worried about trying something new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dishwasher182
« Reply #711 on: August 24, 2008 04:25:28 PM »

I have a question....
I have just below shoulder length hair all one length..besides some grown out bangs that JUST go behind my ears...
its got a weird 'wave' to it at the ends...
so here's my question... what can i do as a style to keep the length? (layers?what kind?) dye it?, anything i need a change but don't want to sacrifice length..and i'm not a big fan of the bangs... :/ any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalKat
« Reply #712 on: September 12, 2008 06:32:30 PM »

I've been wanting to dye my hair a rainbow color (not an entire rainbow just a fun color) for a long time. Can someone tell me how to do it so that my hair isn't wrecked? My hair looks very similar to this http://naturalhairphotos.com/details.php?image_id=201
I need step by step instructions, please. What to buy? Where to buy it? Basically hair dying for dummies?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #713 on: September 12, 2008 07:51:38 PM »

I've been wanting to dye my hair a rainbow color (not an entire rainbow just a fun color) for a long time. Can someone tell me how to do it so that my hair isn't wrecked? My hair looks very similar to this http://naturalhairphotos.com/details.php?image_id=201
I need step by step instructions, please. What to buy? Where to buy it? Basically hair dying for dummies?  Smiley

You'll probably want to be really careful with your hair since it's so dark. It will probably bleach out to something with orangey tones, with means you will want a toner (usually a conditioner, sometimes it's a product you add developer to, that has blue or purple tones that cancel out orange tones).

Sorry I got a little ahead of myself. Step by step process:

Decide what color you want to dye it and how dark it is. The darker the color is, the less you need to worry about getting your hair super light (which will probably be difficult).
Go to Sally's or a similar beauty supply store and get a packet (or two, depending on how much hair you have) of bleach powder (Quick Blue is good) and a bottle of developer. You will probably need at least 30 volume developer and maybe 40. There is 10, 20, 30, and 40 (and I've heard 50 but I think only available to professionals) volume developer - the higher the number, the higher the percentage of peroxide in the developer and the higher/faster the lift.

You will mix the developer and bleach as per the directions on the back of the bleach packet (quick blue is one packet of powder for about 1/4 cup of developer). Apply it (I don't want to explain the whole process of actually putting it on there so that it should be fairly even, I'll look in a second and see if I can find a tutorial somewhere). If you are using forty volume, don't leave it on longer than 45 minutes and watch it very carefully.

found some links - these are on the dyed_hair community on LJ, I'm not sure if you have to be in their f-list to see them. Common Bleaching Mistakes and Bleaching FAQ.

Rinse out the bleach and look at your hair. If your hair has got to a light orange, yay! condition it and rinse it out and then use some toner to take out the orange tones. If your hair is a light brown or medium orange, condition it, wait a few days, and try again, leaving it on less time and possibly using a lower volume (I wouldn't go down to 20 thought, 30 would probably be ok). Be sure to get a really good conditioner for this - I recommend K-Pak by Joico. It's a little pricey yeh, but it is AWESOME (and smells good too!). Even if you aren't bleachina gain I'd still pick it up for good measure.

Ok, you've got your hair light enough. Now get your brightly colored dye and apply it. You can apply it the same way you did the bleach, or you can goop it on and run it through with your fingers/ a comb. Whatever works. Leave it on at least an hour, I usually do an hour and a half. Hit it with a blowdryer a couple of times to make sure it gets in the cuticle of the hair. Rinse out with cold water and voila! Pretty colors!

To maintain the color, you will probably want to shampoo less. Depending on how dry your hair is, you can probably get away with once a week. It seems gross but it's really not - conditioner cleans the hair too, so when you're in the shower just put a little conditioner on and leave it on for a few minutes (if you just put it on and rinse it off, it doesn't clean it). Also, to be sure to rinse your hair only in lukewarm to cold water. Hot water fades color FAST.

I hope that helped!! Let us know what color you're going and maybe we can give you some dye recommendations Smiley and if you have any more questions, ask them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2008 11:17:02 PM »

Allright people, I need advice. I'm getting sooo tempted to chop off my hair again! Currently my hair looks like this (blonde);

It used to look like this

But I also like this type of thing:

Any ideas?

I might wait until late November to do it though so that I still look feminine come Homecoming haha. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #715 on: September 14, 2008 05:49:51 AM »

I say go for the fauxhawk!
I love them on girls, and you have a great faceshape for it.
As for homecoming, you can girly up a fauxhawk, Instead of adding all kinds of crazy volume, you could do a pomp with a slicker style, or add embellishments. NEver believe that short hair is not girl! I went to prom with less than one inch of hair all over my head, and a vintage '50's ballgown that was my grandmothers. I got more compliments than any of the other girls, including the prom queen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalKat
« Reply #716 on: September 14, 2008 09:29:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply, sapphire. I was thinking of dying it red, hot pink, or purple. Is the quick blue bleach powder an off the scalp bleach? That sounds scary. Do you think an on the scalp bleach that I keep off my scalp would lighten my hair? I have Joico KPak from when I used to relax my hair. I already only shampoo my hair once a week. I'm a modified curly girl.  Smiley Thanks so much. Now let's see if I can get up the guts to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2008 12:08:22 AM »

All right, so since I'm apprehensive about going right to it being really short, I'm gonna ease myself into it with something similar to this;

But I think I'll keep my side bangs, and maaybe get more layers in it? Idk.
I'll show y'all tomorrow Smiley

edit/ and okay, I have another question.

Laying down, what exactly would the fauxhawk (like the one in the picture) look like?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 01:01:07 AM by wakeupdonnie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: September 15, 2008 04:35:32 PM »

its nice to see positive things about chick fohawks, because im considering a mild death hawk for my new years hair cut.
Sorry for the not so great first photo, but its my main inspiration.  im also gonna try to make some of these.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #719 on: September 15, 2008 04:56:02 PM »

I got it cut like how it used to be.. she started cutting it just chin length-ish, but I said 'f it' and went for it Smiley I'm happy with it. I got about, 7 inches cut off? Lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 96 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Master Music-Festival Dressing in 3 Looks
3 Fresh Ways To Wear Stripes
Beauty Nation The New Provocateurs: Artists
3 Ways to Wear Pleats
How to Pull Off That Tricky Statement Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...