A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 96
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions About Hairstyles!  (Read 121313 times)
Tags for this thread: hairstyle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

looktothedusk
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007 02:33:58 PM »

hi new question is baby shampoo as good on adult hair as normal shampoos?
 Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" To be a lady one must only be themselves."
TheLizardQueen
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007 07:21:14 PM »

ok so i should have posted this with the one before but its a totally different topic. this is my hair rigth now::

my question is:
CAN I PULL OFF BLACK?

i had black before but my hair was super short and spikey. i just dont want to do the color and hate it. my hair is dark brown rigth now i just want others opinions. thanks!! Smiley

You have fair skin and blue eyes, so i don't think jet black would look that flattering. It might just wash you out. Maybe try a dark red or dark blue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheLizardQueen
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007 07:32:37 PM »

I'm looking for some advice (well duh!) Has anyone here cut their own hair, and had it been a success? I don't mean just the bangs, but the rest of the head as well. If you did, could you please share any tips or tricks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007 12:37:09 AM »

Thanks for your answer Jillie.
I have used henna before a long time ago,  but now I have an artificial colour in my hair which is growing out, and looking ick, so I wanted to try henna over the top of the dye (and the regrowth).
Just have to find the pure body art henna, I think the other stuff I used a decade ago had additives: I just mixed it up with hot water and it was ready to go.
Henna is lovely stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007 01:20:40 AM »

hi new question is baby shampoo as good on adult hair as normal shampoos?
 Huh

yeah its fine for your hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007 11:04:37 AM »

can i used henna with hair dyed by chemical dyes? Huh

I know you're looking for a yes or no answer, but there isn't one.  It depends on the type of chemical dye and whether your henna has any additives.

Use only Body Art quality henna, not the powder sold as "henna for hair" at a beauty store. 

As I said before, if you've ever used chemical dyes, do a strand test.  It's the only way to know how henna will react with your dyed hair.

Just have to find the pure body art henna, I think the other stuff I used a decade ago had additives: I just mixed it up with hot water and it was ready to go.
Henna is lovely stuff.

You can find body art henna at an Arabic or Indian store (we have a LOT of those in my area though most places aren't so lucky), or online.  It's better to go online because the henna is more likely to be fresh and will work better.  I buy from HennaMe.net, I usually buy from Kristina on Ebay but she also has a shop here:  http://www.henname.net/shop.html

If you only had to mix it with hot water, it probably did have additives... that's not necessarily bad (it takes a lot less time!) but you have to stick with using only henna to color your hair until it grows out.

Jillie, if you're going to put bleach on it just to lighten it some more, you don't have to wait a month, but you do have to watch it. i'd say if you wanted to be safe, you can wait a week or so, but i say do it now.
It's been about 2 weeks, I'm thinking about bleaching again, but then the orangish color is starting to fade into blonde anyway.  Perhaps I'll just wait...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Martyx9
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007 01:37:14 PM »

I'm looking for some advice (well duh!) Has anyone here cut their own hair, and had it been a success? I don't mean just the bangs, but the rest of the head as well. If you did, could you please share any tips or tricks?
hello! i've been cutting my own hair for the past yr or so. I started cause it was way too expensive to get my hair cut all the time Smiley
but ya! it turns out well
here's a pic of the last haircut I gave myself(I did it yesterday actually)

hmm tips?
well to start off with you need sizzors, i wouldnt worry about gettin really fancy hair-cutter's sizzors. I usually use just thoose regular kid-sizzors with the plastic handles or my huge black metal sewing sizzors.
so the most important tip is that a perfectionist should NEVER cut hr own hair. I myself am a very messy person so self-haircutting is a great thing fo rme cause I dont really mind when it comes out choppy (messy Smiley,
i usually just cut off as much as i want and then hack at my head untill I like how it looks. it's actually REALLY fun just to cut off everything.
hmm so last tip is cut it like an inch longer than you want it till you get to the end so that if you make a mistake you have some hair left to try ad fix it.
I hope that helps, honestly there isn't much method to my maddness as you can see in the almost-mullet which i'm sporting now Cheesy
hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007 05:52:10 PM »

About cutting your own hair....

I've done it a few times before, usually just for a trim but once I cut about five inches off.   It's easier if you're just trimming because you already have a set style to follow.

If you're currently going to a hairstylist to have it done, ask him or her for a few tips to do "touch-ups" on yourself.  You won't have to go to a professional as often and can save some money.

I posted some tips in the other hair thread, but they're hard to find so here goes again!

I've self-cut my hair a few times (enough to learn some useful information), so here's some pointers.

Jill's List of Haircutting Tips
1. Start out with the hair either dry or slightly damp.  Stylists cut it wet  because it makes the cut-off hairs clump together and makes things easier to clean up, but I recommend dry because it gives you a better idea of the real length.  You can always just throw a towel on the floor and wash it after you're done.
2. Take your time! Rushing something is NEVER a good idea.  The last thing you want is to accidentally chop a huge piece an inch shorter than all the rest.  Give yourself at least an hour to work.  It probably won't take that long, but you never know, and you don't want to screw up because you started cutting fifteen minutes before you have a date.
3. Pay attention to the part. If you cut when your hair is parted crooked, the ends will be uneven when you re-part it correctly.  If you're planning on wearing a side part with the style, cut it that way.
4. Have an idea in mind. Look at a picture of what you want.  If you can look at a style someone else has already created, you can see how the part, layers, fringe, etc. should look.
5. Don't try anything too advanced.  If you've never cut your own hair before, it's best to pick a simpler style.  I wouldn't recommend doing layers your first time because then you have two different lengths to keep straight.
6. Get the technique right.  Take a small section of hair (about 1 inch) in between two fingers (like scissors).  With the scissors in your other hand, cut right below the fingers.
7. Hold the scissors almost perpendicular to the hair-holding fingers and snip tiny sections.  You should only be cutting tiny, tiny pieces at once.  Tons of tiny angled sections looks even when all put together, and you won't have obviously blunt-cut sections.
8. Cut a little longer than you want it to be.  Start off being a little bit "conservative" and get all the hair to the same length.  Unless you're a hair-cutting genius, you will at that point have some parts that are a little longer than the others.  By the time you get done evening it all up, you'll end up close to the length you wanted.
9. Don't be afraid to ask for help! If you get partially in and feel like you're making a mistake or are in over your head, it's better to ask a friend/professional to finish you up than to end up with a style you really hate.  Hair does grow back, but it can take a long time.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
detritus
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007 10:31:04 PM »

hello all!
ok so! I got a new job as a "mad scientist" (teaching an after school science program) and it's pushed me to dye my hair finally. I did it pink a while ago with manic panic but that washed out after like 2 weeks =/
any suggestions on what type of dye to use? I'm just gonna do the ends, and I am goign to bleach it.
I just want which ever is the brightest and last the longest.

I've used a lot of the "unnatural" type semipermanent dyes and in my opinion, special effects is by far the best, especially concerning the pinks and reds. I used cupcake pink for a long time and loved it...it faded into a nice pastel, not a yucky washed out looking shade. Hot Topic carries it and you can also order it online...it's a little on the pricey side ($15 US) but totally worth it.

i think that you could pull off black, i think it would look really good with your light skin and blue eyes too.  what i'd like to know is if you think that i could ever pull off all bleach blonde...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/acarrillo/lastnight1.jpg

i've been really wanting it short and super blonde for a long time now, but nearly everyone tells me not to do it.  so i've just been doing the underside of my bangs.  anyway, what are your thoughts?

Your skin tone has warm, yellow undertones so I think you would look better sticking with golden blonde shades than a super light blonde. I have similar coloration and I bleached my naturally dark blonde hair super light a while ago and I just looked sallow and sickly.

<edited to remove a quoted picture>
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 08:59:38 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007 12:52:06 AM »

I've cut hair before. I've cut my own back in the day, but I'm in school for it now, and i know how to do it. So hopefully any info i give you will help!

When I'm just doing a simple cut with no layers (ie a trim or even taking off a little more) i part the hair into 4 sections. part in the middle all the way back, then on the sides right behind your ears so your hair is in quadrants. start in the back, and bring down small sections on each side and cut. each time you bring down another section, you have a guide from the first section you cut.

when you get to the sides, pull a little piece from the back so you have a guide there as well.

if you're using a razor, make sure your hair is WET. they rip your hair, and using it when your hair is dry can damage it.
if you're not using a razor, but you want that choppy non-blunt look, you can point cut. basically, take your scissors and turn them straight up and snip into the ends of your hair. it'll also mask minor errors you might make with cutting your own hair.

when you do cut it, make sure it's either all wet, or all dry. if you have curly hair, and you want to cut it dry, flat iron it. (and keep in mind it'll be shorter when its curly when you cut)
if your hair is half dry, it'll be uneven. that's why hairdressers cut it wet, usually. it's smoother and makes for more precise cutting. if you do it half dry, the tension will be off, and you'll end up with an uneven cut.

sorry if this was just rambling. hope it helped! let me know if something isn't clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 96 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Box Reviews: Love Me Beauty Vs. Glossybox
How to Get Snowflake Nails
Top Picks for Face Masks and Peels
Easy and Quick Glamour Tips for the Holidays
The Best Beauty Products for Under £10
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...