A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 96
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions About Hairstyles!  (Read 125836 times)
Tags for this thread: hairstyle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bananabanana
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007 11:56:41 PM »

Hello, I have a question about hair. It's probably been asked before but oh well...
I know you can't use hair dye on hair that has been dyed with henna because it goes green.
However, can you do it the otherway around: take dyed hair and overdye with henna? Or does it still go green?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lody
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007 01:07:47 AM »

Hello, I have a question about hair. It's probably been asked before but oh well...
I know you can't use hair dye on hair that has been dyed with henna because it goes green.
However, can you do it the otherway around: take dyed hair and overdye with henna? Or does it still go green?

Thanks!

Henna, from what I've read (go visit http://www.hennapage.com/ before you do anything with henna, they'll answer all your questions and even the ones you didn't know you had) dyes over chemical-dyed hair perfectly.  Just be sure it's what you want for a loooong while! hehe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007 03:13:38 AM »

any ideas what i should do next?
Milkweed, I see you pulling off something waifish like a 1950s Mia Farrow, who married Frank Sinatra when she was scandalously young!

That's if you can bear to cut your hair after all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007 04:07:25 AM »

what i'd like to know is if you think that i could ever pull off all bleach blonde...
i've been really wanting it short and super blonde for a long time now, but nearly everyone tells me not to do it.  so i've just been doing the underside of my bangs.  anyway, what are your thoughts?

i think you can do it no problem. you already have a shade of blonde now and that looks good on you. im about to go jet black and ive been white blonde..lol.DO IT!!!lol Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
looktothedusk
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007 04:57:26 AM »

Hey I read about you guys talking about henna? what's the difference between chemical dye and henna aside from the natural part? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" To be a lady one must only be themselves."
ragdoll193
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007 09:44:11 AM »

henna lasts much longer and is way friendlier to your hair. it makes it soft and nice, but if you decide you want colorful streaks of pink or blue or something, it'll just wash out after one or two washes (this is the third time I've tried, and I washed my hair 3 times and I still have a LITTLE bit of pink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007 10:19:51 AM »

Thanks!

Some chemical dyes won't make your hair green if you use them before/after henna.  It all depends on the contents of the dye and the contents of the henna.

There are a few ways to prevent it from turning weird colors:

Only use pure, body-art-quality henna.  The henna sold as "henna for hair" contains other ingredients and usually has hardly any henna in it.  The non-natural ingredients are what react with chemical dyes.

If you're not sure if your henna is all-natural or not, check the instructions for preparing it.  Natural henna has to be mixed with lemon (and sometimes sugar and other ingredients such as tea or essential oils) and takes a few hours to release dye before you can use it.  If what you have is instant-use or comes with developer, it's not all-natural.

And the most important part....
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do a strand test!  It's the only way to know for sure if the henna will react with another dye.

henna lasts much longer and is way friendlier to your hair. it makes it soft and nice, but if you decide you want colorful streaks of pink or blue or something, it'll just wash out after one or two washes (this is the third time I've tried, and I washed my hair 3 times and I still have a LITTLE bit of pink)

The henna seals off your hair, so semi-permanent dyes won't hold anymore because they can't penetrate the hair shaft.  Permanent dyes work better because they can strip off some of the henna, but some people still have problems with it.

Wow.  That was long.  But I know a lot about henna, so I wanted to share some!  Hope I can be of help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
looktothedusk
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007 07:48:41 PM »

can i used henna with hair dyed by chemical dyes? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" To be a lady one must only be themselves."
Martyx9
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007 07:29:42 PM »

hello all!
ok so! I got a new job as a "mad scientist" (teaching an after school science program) and it's pushed me to dye my hair finally. I did it pink a while ago with manic panic but that washed out after like 2 weeks =/
any suggestions on what type of dye to use? I'm just gonna do the ends, and I am goign to bleach it.
I just want which ever is the brightest and last the longest.
also, jsut wonderign does anyone else cut their own hair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007 11:39:33 AM »

Jillie, if you're going to put bleach on it just to lighten it some more, you don't have to wait a month, but you do have to watch it. i'd say if you wanted to be safe, you can wait a week or so, but i say do it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 96 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Penelope Cruz Makes Directing Debut in Lingerie Film
How to Wear All White For Everything From Work to a Night Out!
Avril Lavigne Dishes on Black Wedding Dress
Style Diaries: Lily Collins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...