A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 96
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions About Hairstyles!  (Read 121863 times)
Tags for this thread: hairstyle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RifleEyes
Newb =\

Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2008 06:46:09 PM »

Definitely a cut a professional should do. If you don't want to shell out the money, I'd say pass on it. Even if you get it done by a professional, the cut is not guaranteed to "look right" and could take more work than you expect to get it to look good every day. And if you're up for the risk, absolutely have your brother do it. I think it'd look good on you and be a nice change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WoBistDu
« Reply #701 on: August 16, 2008 03:12:39 AM »

I've actually had that haircut before. There's a lot of different aspects involved in the cut itself, so as people have already said, you should probably take it to a salon. If you have plenty of pictures and you take it to a half-way decent salon, it really shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. You definitely will need to style it everyday though. I never did and it NEVER looked like it was supposed to. The longer parts (it may be different with your hair) flip out, for one...

As for dreads, only get them if that's the only way you'll ever want to have your hair look. They make it kind of difficult to style them in any different way. Also, it's difficult to change to a different cut style after.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

: D
instantkarma
« Reply #702 on: August 16, 2008 08:06:09 AM »

I don't want to be mean, but I would definitely, definitely have a pro do that cut. My hair was cut somewhat like that for a while, and I have the whole thick hair thing going on too. My stylist knew where to thin out my hair to make it lie flat, where to cut to make it all even, and all of that jazz. Shop around with the picture and I'm sure you can find someone to do that cut for you and make it look awesome. Oh, and I think it would look great on you, by the way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Pippienna
« Reply #703 on: August 16, 2008 08:15:33 PM »

I have kind of a big problem and I'm hoping there is an easy solution that dye-savvy craftsters can supply...

So, three months ago I went to a very expensive salon as a birthday present to me and got my waist-length brown hair chopped off to my shoulders and highlighted in brilliant green and blue (fudge paintbox colours). Very exciting, but way way too much money.
A month ago, the dye was badly faded and I bought a couple of tubes of fudge paintbox blue velvet to dye it again. My wonderful fiancee put it over the faded stuff without bleaching it again, and we were very disappointed when I rinsed it - the dye all slid right off! Didn't take at all! You couldn't tell we had done anything.
So two days ago we tried again and bleached it out:

And tonight my sister helped me with the fudge paintbox again, and...

Now I have baby blue hair. This stuff was almost navy when the salon did it with the exact same product. Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe I should try different dye? The problem is that I've basically rinsed $40 of dye right down the drain and I can't afford to mess up much more. Help!

edit: by the way, I left it in for a half hour, the upper limit suggested on the tube.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008 08:43:25 PM by Pippienna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love2dance14
« Reply #704 on: August 16, 2008 08:26:20 PM »

When I dyed my hair pink, what I did was use a hair dryer on it for a little while, just like when you go to the salon and they put you under the dryer to heat and activate the color, and I left it on for several hours. The good thing about crazy colors is that you can leave them on as long as you want, it is just like you are staining your hair, rather than with normal colors when you have to get it off in a certain amount of time. I don't know if the hair dryer really helps, but it can't hurt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gina-marie
« Reply #705 on: August 16, 2008 08:37:42 PM »

hmm, that's really odd. The only dye i've used is special effects in pink.  Mine faded really quick the first time i did it because i bleached other parts of my hair and I think it kind of faded it.  When I put the dye on the pink parts for the second time they were even more vibrant than the first time I did it.  I dont know much about fudge, but if it's like special effects you can just leave that stuff on for a really long time till it's dark enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panthera

Mostly Noctural, Feline Loving Crafster :D

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #706 on: August 16, 2008 08:43:17 PM »

Shocked Go the old granny blue rinse.....lol Cheesy

Seriously though Tongue, I think you should dye it with a semi permanent black that has that blue sheen through it, none of the fudge/mousse wash out nonsense (waste of money), salons add more crap to the actual product to make it take to the hair better which is why you aren't having any luck at home with the same product adhering to your hair there is a product you can get to take color out so you can start afresh, cant remember the name but a salon employee should know.

If all else fails you could go an undercut as it looks like you've only bleached to add under the top layers not the top layer itself. Wink

HTH Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Numi
Lazy Megalomaniac

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 16, 2008 11:51:42 PM »

I don't think you need to strip your hair again, that'd just be unnecessary damage (mushy hair is not 100% fun). Forget the fudge paintbox, get some Special Effects brand dye. Leagues better. Either that or if you can get your hands on it, Renbow's Crazy Color (it sounds cheesy, but trust me, this stuff is awesome. it may or may not be for salon use only but there are stores that are less strict about such things.)

Also... sure the upper limit says half an hour... but I never go by that. To me, that's just bull. I generally leave dye in for at least an hour or two (or more depending on how deep I want the color to be/if I happen to be distracted). Slap some dye on + shower cap and do the dishes/clean the apt. Since you're going for navy, the longer the better. I've even left dye on overnight as I slept, worked great. It's not going to hurt your hair, it'll just soak it in more and depending on the dye at some point it just will stop working, but that's not within a half hour. And yes, heat does help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[...]
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #708 on: August 17, 2008 07:20:44 AM »

Another vote for SFX. Fudge is crap.
AAAANNNNDDDD....... .
Another vote for leaving it in longer. The dyes are not chemically altering your hair like permanents, so you can leave it in. I usually wrap a plastic bag around my head and sleep on it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink zebra
« Reply #709 on: August 17, 2008 03:08:43 PM »

also if your hair just doesnt take dye be sure not to condition for a few washes before dying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 96 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Simon Sinek on Traveling to Distant and Unfamiliar Places
Susan Orlean on Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend
Terra Elan McVoy on Being Friends With Boys
Jeremy Toombs Performs His Poem "The Alleppey Express"
Finale Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...