A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 188
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show Off Your Hair--Dyed, Cut, or Styled by Yourself!  (Read 452049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1160 on: August 04, 2008 05:20:01 PM »

Hey everyone, I have just over shoulder length brown hair, i like it but god do i not know what to do with it! I'm talking how i wear it, not the haircut. All i ever do is straighten it or add a quiff by clipping the front bits back. Does anyone have any totally rad ways of styling your hair? I have clips and hair ties galore so that aint a problem. Pics or diagrams as well as instructions would be muchly appreciated! It's the one thing fashion wise that i have always been totally useless at  Sad HELP!

One thing you could try, if you are so inclined, Is look up 40's and 50's hair styles. they are really easy (mostly) and translate well to the ooots. (or 2000's or what have you Wink ) though i suppose it depends on your personal style. I LOVE pin curls!! (http://www.atforumz.com/showthread.php?t=297755 that's a link to a how to). Just try things out. Practice makes perfect!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: August 04, 2008 11:56:25 PM »

thanks shelichan for all that great info!  I've been bleaching my roots since about january and no real problems yet!  After I bleach them the next time I'm going to try toner, I hate the yellow.  What kind do you recommend? and do you get even more damage from using one?

No prob. Smiley Well... Ive only use two types. It comes in a small little bottle, and you mix it with developer that you buy seperately usually in a large bottle. I used one type that I really did not like, as it didnt seem to do anything when left on for a shorter time, and for a longer time - it turned my hair purple (but that quickly faded). I use one I THINK from clarol? If thats even a brand... called "Brass Busters" in the most super platinum formula they sell. I mix it according to directions with 40vol developer (again try a weaker one first) and let it soak in. And yeah it will damage your hair the SAME bleach will. The developer is what kills your hair - and you use developer with the toner as well. So be careful and wait a week, and start with a low volume bleach. Better to do it many times with a low volume than once with a high volume (Im just stupid).

One idea Ive been pondering is adding a DROP of purple dye to my conditioner - so it makes a VERY light purple... and using that everyday when Im a blonde. Since the toner works because its a super light purple - it counteracts the yellow in your hair (because they are across from each other on the color wheel - they cancel each other out). Im not sure if that would work though as the dye is veggie dye and not a chemical process. Something Ive been wondering though.

the bleach is what damages your hair. The volume of developer is what makes it happen faster. High volume=fast results=crispy hair
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
koola
« Reply #1162 on: August 05, 2008 03:45:33 AM »

Hey everyone, I have just over shoulder length brown hair, i like it but god do i not know what to do with it! I'm talking how i wear it, not the haircut. All i ever do is straighten it or add a quiff by clipping the front bits back. Does anyone have any totally rad ways of styling your hair? I have clips and hair ties galore so that aint a problem. Pics or diagrams as well as instructions would be muchly appreciated! It's the one thing fashion wise that i have always been totally useless at  Sad HELP!

One thing you could try, if you are so inclined, Is look up 40's and 50's hair styles. they are really easy (mostly) and translate well to the ooots. (or 2000's or what have you Wink ) though i suppose it depends on your personal style. I LOVE pin curls!! (http://www.atforumz.com/showthread.php?t=297755 that's a link to a how to). Just try things out. Practice makes perfect!!

thanks for the advice, shall definitely be looking up 40's hair styles! Very nice. I'm also having fun looking through the posts on that forum, girly heaven  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Shop - Wuvvlepop Accessories - http://wuvvlepop.etsy.com

Fan of Twilight, Kawaii and Horror Movies looking for Personal Swaps Smiley
darkdiva
« Reply #1163 on: August 05, 2008 09:46:19 AM »

My hair done up 40's style for a night out on the town...you should see there stares I get. But the old men....they love it  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1164 on: August 05, 2008 10:33:32 AM »

I love the victory rolls dark diva!! I always get "how did you dooooo that?' when I do it. I chopped all my hair off last fall, and was sad I couldn't do them, then I made tracks, and lo-and-behold, It worked!! Question for you - do you use foam or net rats? I never use rats, but saw this tute on victory rolls using them, and wonder if it's easier or just bulkier. I have a ton of hair as it is!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkdiva
« Reply #1165 on: August 05, 2008 10:38:19 AM »

I don't use anything but my own hair either. My hair is pretty long so it works. I just rat and curl  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gina-marie
« Reply #1166 on: August 05, 2008 11:32:35 AM »

the bleach is what damages your hair. The volume of developer is what makes it happen faster. High volume=fast results=crispy hair

yeah, thankfully i knew that much before starting.  I only use a 20 vol because my hair isn't that dark naturally.  Since you mix toner with developer (right?) i was wondering if toning your hair creates more damage (i dont know if my hair can take much more without being crispy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScribblePainter
Being normal is highly overrated and rather denotes a lack of courage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1167 on: August 06, 2008 05:47:53 PM »

I dyed my hair a few days ago. I used a blonde dye to lighten it all over, it turned out a bit reddish I'm guessing just because of the red that is naturally in my hair.

And, since I wanted to do something different I used a bleach blonde dye to to just a chunk on the bottom. It's only visible when it's up, which is good because I have pretty conservative bosses. And this is the result....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My mother used to watch me draw and she'd just walk away wondering what the hell I was doing.-Dale Chihuly
instantkarma
« Reply #1168 on: August 06, 2008 10:33:55 PM »

Hi everyone! I know this thread is more "post your pictures!" instead of "ask for advice!", but if someone could please, please help me with this, that would be excellent (and I promise never to ask any more questions...well...until I post more pictures, anyway).

Long story short - after a blotchy attempt to dye my hair red, bleaching it and then going to the salon to get it fixed, my hair has since grown out and there is a definite difference between the salon dye job (which is a light brown that is almost close to blonde) and my natural color (which is a more normal, ordinary brown). Now, I want to dye my hair back to my natural color so it doesn't look so weird, and I plan on enlisting help. Is this going to be as simple as just buying a box of dye that is close to my natural color and dying those parts of my hair that are blond/brown, or should I try to dye my whole head (including natural hair) or is there something else I can do? I DON'T want my roots to get any darker, which is why I'm wary about dying my whole head, but, um, I've never actually done this before, so is there even a chance that they WILL get darker if the color's close to my natural color? Help me...please?  Huh

Oh, and if your response is "just go to a salon", that's fine too, but I'm broke and I'd like to be able to DIY it if possible. Thank you! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Luinecu

"Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1169 on: August 07, 2008 03:10:38 AM »

Karma, personally, I would just go to a salon for that kind of thing. My personal response to those kinds of situations is usually to bleach it light and dye it a wacky colour Tongue It's unlikely you'd find something that 100% blends in with your hair, and if you put it all over the whole lot will end up darker.

You'll want to post this on the Questions About Hairstyles thread though. This one is just for showing off Wink

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=163396.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luinecu
x x o

Livejournal // Wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 188 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Unique Fabrics
How to Do Photo Artistry On Quilts
How to Sew a Waterfall Scarf
How to Sew Zippers
How to Make Colonial Knots
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...