A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,239
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 188
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show Off Your Hair--Dyed, Cut, or Styled by Yourself!  (Read 459836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2008 01:14:28 PM »

ryepie, they're so pretty! and for only 10 months, they look totally boss!
(i wish i had snakebites...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
ryepie
« Reply #891 on: February 05, 2008 01:26:31 PM »

thanks! i love my snakebites Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xo_duckie_xo
« Reply #892 on: February 05, 2008 05:52:17 PM »

Aha. I figured I'd join, and show pictures of my length- changing hair.
It grows fast..and then one night I'll decide that I'm not happy with it and chop it all off xD
drives my mom insane.
8 months from now, I'm going to be dreading my hair, which i'm overly excited for.
because I've got frizzy fluffy hair that takes me an hour and a half each day to straighten down.
which is no fun.

1: Its usual length. Dyed color.
2: Same color, just a lot shorter in back
3: A ton longer, past my shoulders. Dyed darker.
4:Most recent. Color is coming out of my hair, and I cut it shorter.
5: Short black hair. >.<
6: Long black/brown hair xDDD
7: Long FIRECROTCH! xD
8: Medium length, short gross bangs.

I'm stoked for dreads.
Even though everyone thinks they are dirty and such at my school, its the first drastic change my parents are
allowing for me to make with my hair.
For people who have/had dreads..
is it a bad idea to dye your dreads?
and is there anything you should/shouldn't do to make them healthier?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/cora__trashed
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #893 on: February 05, 2008 10:13:55 PM »

xo_duckie_xo there is a wealth of information collected on the dreadhead board here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3992.0

Other great places to check include knottyboy.com & dreadheadhq.com

For people who have/had dreads..
is it a bad idea to dye your dreads?
and is there anything you should/shouldn't do to make them healthier?

no, it's not a BAD idea to colour your dreads...I've done it...but there are extra conditioning agents in hair colour that can really slow the dreading process. Also, you have to be MUCH more dilligent when getting the colour out...Anything at all left in the dreads can cause them to decay (mold, etc)

As for making them healthier, there is tons of arguments on the best way to do this. I suggest checking out the links/sites above and doing some heavy research. Dreads are beautiful, but they ARE a lot of work...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008 10:16:59 PM by jezebel_1982 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 06, 2008 09:14:56 AM »

xo_duckie_xo, congrats on your 'rents letting you get dreads Cheesy
Like  jezebel said, its not a bad idea to dye your dreads, but when you really want the color out after you use bleach or whatever pouring some apple cider vinegar on your hair and letting it soak for a bit will get everything out in my experiences (i guess you would leave it in for a bit like you would conditioner)
what you should do to keep them healthy:
- don't us wax.
-you have to be careful about washing your hair so much so your hair can dry...lol when i had my long dreads it took about 3 days to dry, so i couldn't wash my hair too often because its important that they have time to dry (dont want any mold...)
-stay away from wax! a lot of dreadlock sites (like dreadheadhq) say you will need wax to have nice dreads but its really the opposite, (they just want you to buy the wax and keep buying it wondering why the first jar didn't help) once you put wax in it is Extremely hard to get out...EXTREMELY. i had dreads for 2 years and at the beginning i had used wax, and when i cut the wax was all up inside the dreads...it was gross. lol.
-movement = knots. knots = dreads. wax holds the dreads together and in place but it makes it so the dreads cant move and knot up properly. if you really feel the need to keep your dreads tidy and round looking don't go for wax, buy some pure aloe gel (or grow an aloe plant) and palmroll that into your dreads, you can also crochet the loose tips or loose hairs in if you want to.

umm...i think im done blabbering now...hahaha.
a good website you should check out is http://com3.runboard.com/bknottydreadlockforum its good because its not run by a company trying to sell things so, in my opinion you can trust it more than some other ones.

oh yeah, and you don't have to go by this but i would really stay away from dreadheadhq, the products they make and the tips they give are really rather pathetic. they are alll about the wax it seems to me, when i didn't know anything about dreads and i wanted them i bought their starter kit thingy and it was a huge waste of money, it came with rubber bands (verrry bad for dreads i forgot to mention! rubberbands constrict the dreads like wax, and if you have them on the roots your roots will get super weak and most likely break) it came with 2 overprices dread combs (you can buy a metal flea comb at the pet store for less) their shampoo (smells gross and from what i've heard has a lot of ingredients that you wouldn't want on your head) wax (ewww) and 'lock spray' it was 'sposed to tighten your dreads but all it was was salt water, you can make your own for a buttload less and the salt water you make at home will work better because you can make it less watered down (the ocean is amazing for tightening dreads when i had my long dreads i would spend a day at the beach and they would be all one dread by the end of the day!), i think thats all that came with it..but back then i didn't have anyone to tell me that buying things from that site is useless.
i think knotty boy is a different story though, even though they sell wax and some other useless junk, i like their shampoo. it smells sooo good and it really works for me. and the ingredients in their products are all natural.

uh, ok, i think im done...i hope all that helps you and i hope that it all makes sense! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
Nesse
« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2008 12:02:57 PM »

I haven't been on this thread in ages!
I died it blue the day my relationship ended. (this was a few weeks ago)

It doesn't look this nice anymore. I'm trying to fade it as fast as possible so I can have sunset hair when my dye comes in.

Thanks milkweed for all that info! I plan on dreading my hair this summer when I go off to college, and lose this bank job. But for now, I was thinking of shaving the sides, adding some hidden steps, but leaving a "tail" like sideburns.
arrghhh gotta love angsty break-up hair!! haha
what do you think?

more hair photos found here...http://flickr.com/photos/ieatwaffles/sets/72157603820143766/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #896 on: February 06, 2008 05:18:41 PM »

really pretty hair... and i agree... hair is art...  and by the description of the new hair cut you want it sounds super badass.. do it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CMFoster
« Reply #897 on: February 06, 2008 06:49:43 PM »

My hair isn't as drastic as some of yours - but, I love it none the less!!

I used Special Effects Blood Red for mine!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euphony
« Reply #898 on: February 09, 2008 09:57:24 AM »

OOOOOOOOOO I love that!  If I wasn't trying to grow my hair long I'd definately be all over chemical dyes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xfoxglove
« Reply #899 on: February 09, 2008 10:01:51 AM »

that looks so good.
you don't have to worry about roots too much with that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 188 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Curly Half Updo
How to Use Hair Dryer Attachments
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Long Hair
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Medium Length Hair
How to Treat Dry, Frizzy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...