A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 188
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show Off Your Hair--Dyed, Cut, or Styled by Yourself!  (Read 414838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: October 17, 2007 05:09:26 PM »

Having spent a few hours today checking out my fellow Craftsters' do's, I am basking in a big slumber party confessional feeling. So here goes. My hair history is not as nicely organized as many who went before me (I need to work on my image editing skills) so apologies for the many images. But, I did try to keep honest and only post those cuts and/or colors which were suicidal (e.g. cut, dyed by my own hand.)

The first thing I ever did to my own hair was to dye it purple for back-to-school senior year. (This would be fall 1992.) I naturally have A LOT of hair, which is very thick and somewhat curly. Can you believe another girl in my creative writing class hit the same tub of Manic Panic? So goes the 17 year-old's struggle for independence.

When the purple washed out I dyed my hair black. And tried to wear it straight. Without hot tools or professional thinning. UGH. The glasses help, though, right?

By graduation I gave up on the straight act and my roots were coming in.

I had however started shaving under the black up to my ears. When I got to college, the first thing I did was shave my head. Not that I was really a skin chick, but there you go. Fringe and steel toed boots.

When my hair stated coming back I subjected it to more under-shaving and dye. I think this was meant to be a bleach job, but ran low on chemicals.

For my 20th birthday my girlfriend Marisa (who is in the newspaper clipping with me above) made me a card chronicling the adventure to date.

I let my hair grow out to its long brown state again, which was good for me when I was living in Jerusalem and commuting once a week to Gaza. But as soon as my work in the Gaza Strip was done I had my hair chopped and bleached it out to a pale blonde. That tripped my step mom up when she came to pick me up from the airport.

As soon as I got back to the States I dyed my hair a red red red. This photo was taken with a disposable camera inside a hall closet. So it sucks.

As the red faded to a pinky color and my roots came in, I went through a poorly documented but highly popular "neopolitan" phase. (You know, like the ice cream: chocolate, vanilla andstrawberry stripes.) Then I decided my hair needed a break. So I went bald again, minus the fringe.

There was a lot of growing out from then and some highlights and learning how to use a flat iron. But nothing I did. So the next leap came when I could not decide whether or not to cover the grey . . . and just shaved it all off, again.

This is not actually my hair. It is Olympic National moss. But I did technically style it. And worked really hard for the shot. So, maybe green dye is in my future.

This is it all grown back in. Thankfully the grey went white while I was bald and formed a nice, uniform highlight. George has gotten older too.  Smiley From here the changes are more frequent and subtle.

This is the same cut, teased in the back. From my avatar shoot.

This is after the trim where I forgot to use a gaurd.

And this is today. The shaved bits have grown in and I moved the part all the way to one side. And I am getting compliments from my MIL to my stylist friends.

I may dye again -- especially after all the inspiration here. But I have not tired of my white streak quite yet.

Thanks for your patience with the scrolling and for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
rhoticity
« Reply #601 on: October 17, 2007 07:10:51 PM »

rhoticity- did you bleach at all first? I LOVE the pink/purple!

Yeah, although in the spots where i got the dye on my non-bleached hair it still showed up pretty well, so I'll remember that for the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Look, I've shrunk it! BY THE MAGIC OF XEROGRAPHY." -my sociolinguistics professor

wisty.
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #602 on: October 17, 2007 07:20:47 PM »

Heathersy, not many women have faces that could carry off the shaved-head look, but you do! It looks pixie-ish and very alluring.
(I wish I could shave my head and let it grow back the grey it's trying to be. It's so frustrating waiting around!)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007 07:43:55 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 17, 2007 09:11:44 PM »

Thanks, graced! The last time I shaved my head I had two gay boyfriends claiming it was their idea. But, really, it just always works for me and is a great way to give the hair a break before it - just - breaks. Good luck with the transition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
sleep in gutters
« Reply #604 on: October 21, 2007 11:19:45 AM »

first of all, i love this thread, and everyon'e hair.
i've never wanted to dye my whole head just ebcause i actually like my natural color and i'll only dye my hair funky colors.
i can't find a picture of my hair in 9th grade, but it was basically shoulder length with the underneath bright red (which was supposed to be a fuscia-ish color, either the box lied or my ahir is just weird), but hopefully i'll find a pic & post it later.
then last year when i was sick of the red, 10th grade, i cut my hair short, a little above my chin (but not a bob), and since my hair grows fast this is what it looked like a month later in october
(i'm in the middle)
and to show the layers:

i didn't cut it since then so it got long, and over the summer i put some purple streaks in (but it came out fast & didn't show too well since my hairs dark, i want to try again though, i guess i'll have to bleach it)

my hair is still the same now just without the purple,
but like i said i think i want to try that again,. and i've also been thinking about getting a choppy short cut again, but i'm not sure
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flutegeek104

Can't touch this!!

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 21, 2007 02:41:49 PM »

K...so I made a timeline for myself'

1) 7th grade, super long, boring hair
2) after the first cut below my shoulders, late autumn of 9th grade
3) first cut shorter, winter of 9th grade
4) a little grown out, almost spring of 9th grade
5) I'm in the middle, spring of 9th grade
6) DYED, summer before 10th
7) current, not really my natural color, autumn of 10th
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: October 21, 2007 09:12:24 PM »

My hair was getting way too long and hanging in my face, so it was time for another DIY haircut... plus I wanted to see how it would look really short.

Before (I look like a Beatle!):

After:

It's not my favorite, I think it makes me look a little too butch.  Thinking about putting some bright colored highlights in it to liven it up a bit, though. 

What colors do you think would look good with the color I already have?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
RubberDuckys
« Reply #607 on: October 22, 2007 03:04:58 PM »

jillie, i LOVE your new haircut, it looks great on you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Strano
www.strano.etsy.com
jimthewise

roar roar roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: November 02, 2007 02:49:49 PM »

I dyed my hair for the spirit rally at my school today  Grin

it's mostly blue, with some pieces of purple and green in there, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B: Is it raining?
A: I think they're spitting at us.
SpunK
KNITXCORE

i make stuff, and i'm a boy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: November 05, 2007 06:43:10 PM »

I just cut my own hair the other day.  It was in my face while i was knitting, so i grabbed my craft scissors and hacked chunks off until it was shorter.  

what do you guys think?Huh?  should i hide my scissors???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 188 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Styling and Finishing
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Flat Iron
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Blow Drying
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Products Needed
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...