A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,802
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 188
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show Off Your Hair--Dyed, Cut, or Styled by Yourself!  (Read 439251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: September 29, 2007 05:58:46 PM »

Every brand of dye works differently on different people, so the best thing to do is just pick one and see how it goes.  Make sure to look at the guide on the box that will show you how it will turn out on different natural colors of hair.

For the red, you'll need to either bleach the streak first or buy a type of color that will bleach and color in one step.  I've used this one before:  http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1450/240657 .  Even though your hair is naturally blonde it will come out better if you bleach first It lets the color get deeper into the hair shaft, so it will be brighter and last longer.

Any red will probably fade out over time, leaving you with a bleached streak.  You might like it like that, or you might want to color over it.  And when your roots start to show you can either dye them again, or let it grow out.

I'll warn you that growing out any hair color is annoying, and will look funny for a while.  And black dye is pretty hard to get rid of once it's in.  If it's what you want go for it, but if you're not totally sure you could try it out with a temporary or semi-permanent dye first.

Even if you end up thinking it's stupid, it's just hair and will always grow back, so personally I think it's OK to experiment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 29, 2007 06:16:05 PM »

For bright colors I highly recommend Special Effects hair color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
RubberDuckys
« Reply #502 on: September 29, 2007 06:35:41 PM »

thanks so much ya'll! I looked around my local Sally's and i saw special effects and the dye you posted, Jillie.. I can't wait to dye! haha that did not sound as it was intentioned

I forgot to add that the blond i have at the moment is bleached, but I have looong roots.. and I'm SUPER pale so there is/will be an extreme contrast between my hair and skin

how long did the dyes last in ya'lls hair? i know mine won't be the same, but I would like a general idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Strano
www.strano.etsy.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: September 29, 2007 08:08:17 PM »

I use Feria color, which is about the longest-lasting stuff you can buy.  They use some of the same dyes that are used for clothing, so it's pretty tough stuff.  They can be bad for some people's hair, but I've found if I condition at least twice a week mine stays healthy.  The color lasts forever... what I have in now is about 3 months old, and while it's a little less vibrant than when I first dyed it, it's definitely still looking good.  My roots on the other hand are a different story... but I'm too broke for hair color right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 30, 2007 12:22:14 AM »

Blue and red fade the fastest, generally.

I've had Atomic Pink in my hair for about 3 months now and its still pretty pink, if a little less vibrant. However, I dont wash it every day (maybe every three days) which helps.

The purples also last forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 30, 2007 06:48:17 AM »

Blue and red fade the fastest, generally.

I've had Atomic Pink in my hair for about 3 months now and its still pretty pink, if a little less vibrant. However, I dont wash it every day (maybe every three days) which helps.

The purples also last forever.

yeah i usually use purple or blue dye, i use special effects, leave it in for a couple of hours and i only need to dye it every 3 months!! after 2 months my purple turns more pink or my blue turns to purple but its still really bright! its never faded out my hair completely unlike some other brands like fudge and directions  Cheesy oh and i wash my hair every 2 or 3 days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mrs.
« Reply #506 on: September 30, 2007 06:59:23 AM »

questions:

2. about how long will it last and what do i do when my blonde roots start to show?

well...as far as roots go, i have naturally blonde hair and dye it reeaallly dark brown. i can honestly go about 3-4 weeks at most before i have to dye my roots again. blonde roots with dark hair look super funky...like you are balding.

you should try it!  black is a bitch to get out...but blonde gets really boring... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubberDuckys
« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2007 08:39:04 AM »

thanks again everyone! ok it sounds like Special Effects is the way to go.. I can't wait! my dad is going to be so mad when he gets home from his trip.. oh well

is there a specific special effects red that is "better" than the others? I don't know what colors they have,  I was just about to look it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Strano
www.strano.etsy.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 30, 2007 10:55:49 AM »

RubberyDuckys, I remember you posting all the way back in the old thread.  It's like we've seen your hair evolve! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
RubberDuckys
« Reply #509 on: September 30, 2007 11:33:15 AM »

RubberyDuckys, I remember you posting all the way back in the old thread.  It's like we've seen your hair evolve! Cheesy
haha I feel so special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Strano
www.strano.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 188 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dark Chocolate Wheat Thins Sandwich Recipe
Green Onion and Chipped Beef Dip Recipe
Ritz Cracker Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Tangy Grilled Salmon Filet Recipe
Devilish Deviled Eggs Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...