A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 188
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show Off Your Hair--Dyed, Cut, or Styled by Yourself!  (Read 413480 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shelichan

Fashion designer for hire in NYC!

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 22, 2008 06:54:31 PM »

johnnyxlondon - You are a very attractive man. Smiley

This is my hair now...

A few weeks ago...

Before that...

Before thaaaaat...

And before that...

Maybe Ill post some other ones later. Smiley I have some much more interesting ones with synthetic dreadlocks and the such if anyone cares to see more of em. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Childrenswear & womenswear designer for hire in NYC!
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1141 on: July 22, 2008 08:10:45 PM »

love the cotton candy colors! Is your natural color dark? if so how do you keep your hair from breaking with the bleach? my hair just goes blah when i bleach the color out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelichan

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 22, 2008 09:18:33 PM »

love the cotton candy colors! Is your natural color dark? if so how do you keep your hair from breaking with the bleach? my hair just goes blah when i bleach the color out.

This is my natural brown... its about an equal match to synth/HH color #8 - if that means anything to you.

Smiley Well I bleach usually myself using 40 vol bleach kits from Sallys... which is strong, but not nearly as strong as salon bleach. I put it right on my hair and scalp - which is bad... but oh well. If it was salon quality 40 vol - I would have some SERIOUSLY BAD burns from putting it on my scalp. At first it took about 3 bleachings (about a week apart with serious conditioning inbetween) to go from my natural undyed brown to a very light platinum blonde. I also used a toner on it, which removes the yellow brassyness. Last time, my BF took me to a salon and got it professionally done. They used 20vol, used a TON of foils, and then toned it and the rest of my already platinum hair), and while the experience was much more pleasant than doing it myself... I got about the same results, only my hair was softer after at the salon than when I do it myself.

To prevent breaking... well, dont over bleach. Start with a lower vol bleach. Its better to use say 20vol and have to do it say 5 times (over an extended amount of time - at LEAST a week inbetween and serious conditioner treatments), then a 40vol and do it 2 times. Im just stupid and impatient. First time I did it - all of my hair was bleached. Im not neat about it. Just kinda throw it on, rub it in, throw a shower cap on, and wait. After that - when you just do your roots, make sure that you do NOT put the bleach on parts that are already bleached. At least try not to. If you do, well you have to wait for that bleach to lighten your roots from dark brown - and then its also sitting on the already bleached hair. Which will make it break. I usually do my roots for about an hour, then put the rest of the bleach on the rest of my hair for about 15 mins. Then, depending on how my hair feels - if its not too damaged, Ill throw a toner on there for a lil bit. If its damaged, Ill wait a week before toning.

After bleaching - your hair will get very light - but will still have that yellow tinge to it. Dont keep on bleaching it trying to get that out. It wont work and you WILL melt your hair off. That is what toner is for. Its basically a light purple - which is opposite of yellow on the color wheel - and they cancel each other out, leaving your hair white. Dont leave the toner on for too long either - or your hair will have a slight purple tint to it, and the toner needs to be mixed with developer as well... so if you leave it on too long, it can melt off your hair the same the bleach would.

Wow that was an essay... good news is, hair grows back if you mess up. Smiley Ive messed up before. I had just gotten a nice new a-line cut... a few weeks later I bleached it, and then left the bleach on the rest of my hair for too long. Everytime I brushed it afterwards, for like a week... hair would just break off. I ended up with a bob cut because the longer parts of the a-line all broke off. Also note - if you bleach your hair - try NOT to brush it when wet. Comb it. If you over bleach your hair, youll know because when its wet, it will have a weird feeling to it. It will almost feel gummy and it will stretch when pulled, and then snap.

Just be careful. Dont hurt yourself. If you doubt your abilities, its best to go to a salon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008 09:21:50 PM by Shelichan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1143 on: July 22, 2008 09:31:17 PM »

I love that you use the number references to hair color! I work in wigs and am constantly dealing with them! gotta love those swatches!!

I actually understood and have experienced a lot of that myself. I have spent some good times at sally's Smiley I think part of my issue is that I don't ever bleach from undyed hair. I think what it boils down to is that if i want to bleach out again, I'm gonna have to strip the color. I am just WAY to impatient for that! hahaha! I love the use of toner, I usually use it when I bleach my sisters streaks out, never thought of using it on my full head. sweet. I generally do not have the patience to do multiple bleach treatments, though i usually only bleach streaks or chunks to dye fun colors. I have really thick coarse hair, so it takes more bleach ( i usually use 40, though if i am going to do it more than once, i try and be good and use 20 - doesn't always end up like that though Smiley) it is also more resistant to damage. It does get frizzy and gunky if i bleach it too much :/ Though it gets a million times worse when i have ever gone to a salon. You'd think they could make it better. That's why I never let anyone else dye my hair! haha. spending 250 bucks on frizzy broken hair when i can do it for next to nothing!!Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelichan

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 22, 2008 09:44:18 PM »

Haha no prob! Smiley Yeah if youre going to bleach to do funky colors - good thing is, if the color you want to do is darker, or brighter - you dont need to get your hair super light. My usual color is super duper baby freaking pink though... so if I dont get my hair white - it looks like a pale salmon color... which is a nice color - but looks like you just effed up bleaching your hair. Haha. Goodluck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1145 on: July 22, 2008 10:02:34 PM »

One word.....FIERCE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
johnnyxlondon
« Reply #1146 on: July 23, 2008 06:30:17 AM »

heh heh okay, but no one uses that word around me...it's over.

....well hello ferocia!

/xian

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandasbrighteyes
« Reply #1147 on: July 23, 2008 09:15:17 AM »

good lord Shelichan you are one perdy lady! i love your hair
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In my world everyones a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies."

Wists!
rainbowmeow
« Reply #1148 on: July 23, 2008 11:40:15 AM »

Well, here's my hair.  It's naturally medium brown, but it hardly stays that way.  I managed to go 3 months without dying it, but I gave up.  I dyed it dark brown, then bleached the bangs and used Manic Panic in Hot Hot Pink.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thebeatcowboy

what doesn't kill us makes us stranger...

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 23, 2008 12:14:17 PM »

Sorry if someone's already said this, but you look like Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion, blue-haired and waif-like Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 188 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 7/7
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 4/7
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 3/7
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 5/7
How to Crochet a 3 Stitch Ruffle Border
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...