A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first dress, perfect for summer. With tutorial. (better pics added)  (Read 5526 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007 08:47:34 PM »

I have this habit of hoarding small yardages of fabric, it's rare that I ever buy more than 2 yards of something at a time.  With small amounts, I have trouble coming up with projects that aren't just pillowcases, shopping bags, or pajama pants.
Anyways, here's something I kinda threw together with various stuff I had in my collection.  I started doing that t-shirt surgery thing a few years back, and again, had an overstock of shirts that needed to be used.  Because I used a lot of knit fabric in the areas that need stretch and give (chest, hips, tummy), I also didn't have to be as precise with my measurements, because the t-shirt fabric will pick up my slack where it's needed.
This dress came out really light and airy, and it's insanely comfy.  I made 2 last night!
Sorry for blurry pictures, had to take them myself, with no flash, and in a mirror.  I'll try to get better pics when my husband comes home.

This one makes me feel like I should be teaching elementary school art classes.  It demands either a matching apron or possibly some pockets.  The blue fabric has dinosaurs all over it, found it at the thrift store for $0.99 for around a yard (someone had made it into curtains, but it salvaged nicely), and then the green is a bright green/lime green "dragonscale" sort of print.  Bargain bin at a local craft store.  The t-shirt was a $2.99 special at the thrift store, it used to be a nike shirt.  Probably cost the original owner $35 just because it had the stupid "swoosh" embroiderd on it. 
This is what the dress looks like with two different cotton print fabrics used.

Pictured with my Strawberry Shortcake dress.
Total cost of materials for dress: less than $10 for each dress

And here's another, this one is pink with green dragons all over it.
Total cost of materials for this dress: about $15 (the dragon fabric was a bit spendy)

And the tutorial.  Sorry the pages are photographed instead of scanned.  I was really dumb and didn't check to make sure the paper I was using FIT IN MY SCANNER before I wrote the whole thing out!  Undecided

Click on the picture for a larger version.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009 09:01:56 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
Ska Hippie
Ambitious Amateur at Everything

~Add a lil *color* to your life~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 09:03:51 PM »

Both very neat - I especially love the colorful-ness (of the first dress, & of your hair, hehe) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007 02:48:48 AM »

Neat idea -- cute dresses -- I may have to try something like that for summer!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007 07:49:32 AM »

what a great way to use those small peices of cool fabric, we have all been hording lol . Very cool idea and it looks great too . nice work !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garnet Bear

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007 05:30:23 PM »

Both very neat - I especially love the colorful-ness (of the first dress, & of your hair, hehe) Cheesy

Heehe, thanks.  I've been trying to turn my hair from green (pre St. Patrick's day) to blue, so eventually I can go purple & pink (think Cheshire cat).  This is the third or fourth go at blue, so I'm hoping it'll stay. 

But at least with the washout to green, it matches my dinosaur dress, and that's what's really important, isn't it? Wink

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.  First clothing post, always a little intimidating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missteri
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007 03:47:31 PM »

Those are cute I like the pink and green together. I do have to ask what's the deall with the mask?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garnet Bear

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007 04:06:42 PM »

Ah, the mask.  Ever have one of those days where no matter how many pictures you take, they never look right?  I was having an "ugly night" where I looked utterly horrid picture after picture.  I happen to have a fair collection of masks, and that seemed to be the simple solution. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missteri
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007 04:07:39 PM »

Ah, the mask.  Ever have one of those days where no matter how many pictures you take, they never look right?  I was having an "ugly night" where I looked utterly horrid picture after picture.  I happen to have a fair collection of masks, and that seemed to be the simple solution. Smiley

I understand
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Superchica

Keeping you Chic & Unique

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007 09:17:43 PM »

The idea of this dress is really cute.  Maybe think about bringing the side panels on the top portion closer in and minimizing the center panel.  I think that would help give the appearance of a "cinched" waist.  Love the fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Garnet Bear

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007 02:38:35 AM »

The idea of this dress is really cute.  Maybe think about bringing the side panels on the top portion closer in and minimizing the center panel.  I think that would help give the appearance of a "cinched" waist.  Love the fabrics!

I like that idea!  I'll have to give it a shot on one of the next dreses I make.  I'm not great at modifying patterns, and the only reason that the front panel is a straight down line is because of the way it wraps over the boob area on the top.  Will have to puzzle it out, I suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery: How to Make a Planter Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Large Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Double-Walled Vessel
Pottery: How to Make a Bottle Form
Different Shapes of Pottery Products
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...