A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Cat is DESTROYING the moulding onthe doors.  (Read 4111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indieanajess
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007 07:07:07 AM »

I have the exact same problem. But I have to keep the door shut because one cat has peed on my bed twice and the other eats all my WIPs and it seems my room is the only sanctuary. Eventually, your cat will give up, but it took mine about a year or so. It looks like some previous renter's pet has done the same thing and they just painted it over. I've not heard of the citrus thing, but there is a spray called Boundary that you can buy. You have to spray it everyday, and it's kind of offensive to EVERYONE'S nose until it dries, but it does seem to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The frontal lobe is where it's at!
kaykayelle
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007 07:17:18 AM »

There's this stuff that's like tape that they sell in pet stores (I've seen it at PetCo I believe), and you put it on where you don't want them to scratch and they don't. I don't know what it is exactly or what it has it it except for the fact that it looks like double-sided packing tape. There's a picture of a cat on it scratching a couch I believe if you want to go looking for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007 07:39:52 AM »

I suspect he will eventually grow out of it, especially if you keep his nails trimmed to minimize damage.  I had a kitten once, whose nails I tried to clip on my own.  She wasn't very cooperative.  My mother's cat, on the other hand, submits to weekly trimmings with no fuss.  If you decide to try it, 1) you need help, someone to hold them down while they are covered in a large towel folded many times; 2) do a few mock runs to get your kitty used to it before you trim.  It's really easy to trim too much, and that's really bad for kitties, especially who will be scratching in litter.  Maybe watch your vet or groomer do it a few times before you try on your own, to get a sense of how much to clip.  If you do trim too much, use styptic powder to stop the bleeding, and then make sure to change his litter twice a day till it's healed. 

Aaaand, for the fun part!  Crafty recycled alternatives to store-bought pet furniture!

I recommend going to your local carpet showrooms and asking for any sample books that may have gone obsolete.  If they don't have any of those, buy a cheap remnant.  Maybe a carpet that's not very thick, so it will be flexible.  Or else a cheap area rug from home depot.  Then find, well, whatever to put it on.  Empty cable spools; thrift-store book-shelves; find some large cardboard tubes (I've heard photography shops have them) or get some PVC large enough for a grown cat.  Get some plain cardboard boxes from the wine store.  Get some dried catnip.  And set too!  I think a bookshelf would be fun.  You could build little cubby holes in some shelves, make a tube maze on one, a scratching pad on one shelf or down the side or both; you can connect the shelves to one another by sawing out a cat-sized circle.  Cover all the wood bits in carpet using upholstery nails or strategic application of tackless strip, the way a carpet layer would use it.  Use carpet glue, too--but make sure it won't be under the surfaces that will be scratched the most, because it may be toxic. 

Making your own pet haven should be fun, but make sure there are no tacks, nails or anything else where the cat will be playing.  Those should only be on undersides where your kitty can't get to.

I'm sure you could cover the door jamb in carpet too, until he has outgrown this bit of naughtiness.  I recommend using tackless strip for this, too, so you don't have to put so many holes in the drywall.  Google "diy laying carpet" and you'll find a ton of sites on how to use the tackless strip.  If you stretch the edge of the carpet over the tack side, you can then turn the strip so the tacks are pointing into the wall and and then screw it in in only a couple of places (you'll need screws instead of nails because I'm assuming it's going into drywall; use the kind with plastic anchors). 

Another option would be to buy or fashion a scratching pad from cardboard, carpet or both.  Tack rope to the back, make liberal use of catnip, and then hang it from your door jamb.  If you did this, you'd want to make a loop on both the top and bottom so that you could screw each one to the wall, through the rope.  In this case, it's probably going into wood, so nails would be okay (and since there's nothing that could hurt kitty if it comes off, it's not quite so important it stays put). 

Hmm...what else could you do?  I'll think about it.  It's possible that the kitty is pining away from loneliness, but I suspect the kitty just wants what it can't have.  There's nothing wrong with having boundaries for your pets.  Obviously you have a reason for keeping him out of your room, and you shouldn't feel badly that you do.  Just make sure he's comfortable and entertained, and he will probably stop scratching, especially as he grows up....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007 07:53:33 AM »

When my kittens were very young, I used to make a nest out of cushions, old soft toys and stuff, and put a microwave wheat bag that I had warmed up on the bottom. I made sure that it wasn't too hot, but enough to simulate litter mates piled up round them with the cushions as well. I do this with all my kittens and they don't really get lonely at night. As soon as they get a little bigger, I start weening them off by removing the odd cushion or toy until they're all gone. I used to leave the door open at night, but the cats used to use the bedroom as part of their mad-dash run route - in the cat flap, up the stairs, round the bed, on the bed, bounce off us like a spring board, then out again and through the rest of the house. So the door had to shut! *lol* I've heard people say that you can stick kitchen foil onto things to deter cats scratching, but I've never tried it. Apparantly they hate the feel of it.  Undecided If your cat has access to outside, and/or plenty of scratching posts, it shouldn't need to have it's claws trimmed  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007 08:24:20 AM »

Claws don't ever need to be trimmed, really--it's just that they do less damage to wood and upholstery if they aren't as sharp.  My mom doesn't clip Lucy's very often any more, now that she's a little older and less naughty.  But it sure saved her furniture and curtains that first year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007 08:25:30 AM »

OK I left the internet last nite thinkinkin i'd get like 2 responses thank you all so much for the feedback. so lets start  with Cloverdragon- Yes he has water food and fresh litter he likes to investigate what im doing at very odd times of the nite. I try to let him sleep in my room but as soon as i move or wake him he remembers its his time to be out and about. Sleeping with the door open is not an option for me my sisters dog will come to my room and lick my face in my sleep =(

Hpets- I want thinking about building him a cat motel with catnip toys and all the posts he can gid is claws into. I know its for my attention but then when i give it to him he walks away. my cat is bi-polar but also i think theres a cat ouside that hes being influenced by, i think rite now he prefers to stare at other things then play with me. =0 Oh and thank you he is cute when  he is behaving

Samsara- I wil so0o0o try the lemons oranges and oils. I know that stuff isnt poisonous so i wouldnt be to afraid to use it. And yes he thinks my room is his room.

Cinnamon teal- you know now that u mention it he is teritorail for me. He likes to be in the mix, im gonna really try the carpet thing though because i cant trim his nails out of freat ill chop off his toes and i know groomers are not all nice.

Solorn- i dont think its boredom as his favorite playmate is the dog, those two are like watchin an episode of national geographic. I fear for the dog though the cat tends to jump out of nowhere.

Melladh- Oh my god lol my cat eats plastic. HE Love wrappers and bags the most then he pukes it up and i feel bad and worried one day he may get really sick from it.

Cranteach- i havent tried the cardboard boxes seeing as they are cardboard i feel like thats kinda weird and messy. But at this point wat the heck =)

indianajess- imay look into that but i ponder is it poisnous

Kaykayell- ohhh tape that sounds like a great idea.

Craftmatic- thankyou so much i really am going to build him one and honestly why spend 100 dollars on a cat house thats like maybe a 3ft tall pole and a cubicle on top. i can make him a city for less =)

Samasara- yeah my cat has his own 3am olympics. But i dont really want to trim his nails on the off chance ill hurt him.
THankyou everyone this was very helpful. I may try to build part of his house this weekend but thats a bid old if and maybe. I got the wood for it so on i go.
thank you. guys =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
shoegazer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007 08:27:21 AM »

There is a book that will answer all your cat questions and fix all your cat problems, Im not kidding. Its called FROM THE CAT'S POINT OF VIEW by Gwen Bohnekamp.

Please do not assume that your cats bad behavior is happening because your cat is vendictive. Cats are innocent creatures that act out on their natural instincts, instincts that we as humans can only relate to in human terms.

If you do not want your cat to claw on something cover it in tin foil or cheese cloth. Cats HATE the feel of these materials on their claws and will steer clear.

Please read the recommended book. It will help you put an end to any unwanted behavior and maybe even help you train your cat to do a few tricks.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007 08:35:27 AM »

ya know i tried to teach him to sit ..lol Im super awesome with dogs i have fully trained 3 but cats are another ballpark. He does come when icall his name i love that people are astounded by that, though if im next to someone new he wont come he'll scour around till he makes the eye contact with me and i tell him its ok.
Tin foiil ill try that later tonite till i can get a hold of carpet/or that cool tape stuff.
thanks ill look for the book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007 10:36:03 AM »

Melladh- Oh my god lol my cat eats plastic. HE Love wrappers and bags the most then he pukes it up and i feel bad and worried one day he may get really sick from it.

My other cat does that, we do our best to hide plastic from her, but it's not easy. Grin
 I suspect they can do the same thing string can do, to cat intestines: block them until they burst. But I'm not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
indieanajess
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007 11:51:43 AM »

I've heard tinfoil works for a lot of people, but you may be disappointed. I tried putting foil in front of the door (I heard they hate the feeling on their paws) and turned around for a second. When I turned back, she was curled up in the middle of all the foil.  Roll Eyes  So I balled it up and turned it into kitty toys, which they loved. Of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The frontal lobe is where it's at!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best and Worst Beauty Trends of 2013
How To: A Punk Hairstyle You Can Easily Rock
Nicole Scherzinger Makeup Look Tutorial
8 Fashion Mistakes That Instantly Age You
January 2014 NewBeauty TestTube Reveal
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...