A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,653
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Cat is DESTROYING the moulding onthe doors.  (Read 5291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007 08:12:01 PM »

Ok so my cat for lack of a better word is an asshole lol. Its ok he knows it.
He likes to scratch up the moulding around the doorway, he does this to my door only since he knows where i sleep.
He doesnt seems to destroy anything else. SOOOO
wat to do im renting and i dont blame landlords for wanting to NOT rent to people with pets.
The moulding has mybe 3 scratches on it so far but this is repairable but over some time 3 will become 300 so is there something i can rub onthe door that he will be repelled by.
Or will i have to get some industrial streanght carpet cut a strip or it and with a small tack hammer it around the moulding??
By the way this is the culprit.
Thanks in advance for any help =D  oh this is an old pic hes full grown now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 08:27:24 PM »

Is the cat locked out of the room at night? If you leave the door open, that may prevent the scratching.
Is the cat fed?
Does he have fresh water?
Is his litter clean?
Usually a cat will only vertical scratch if it needs something, it's not "fixed" or it's marking it's place.
It may also be as simple as providing a correct place for him to scratch, a scratching post.
there are also mildly poisonous sprays you can apply to prevent him from going into that area, I don't recommend them
Let me know if you have any questions. I know far, far too much about kitties Cheesy
-Clover
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007 12:50:56 AM »

I've never had a cat that was fond of restricted areas.  Doors are meant for access, and if they are ever closed, doors have their lower surfaces scoured until they are open.

This has just been the nature of cats I've known and loved.  Cats VS Doors, cats have gone 4 for 4.

Along the same lines, one of my cats likes to put holes in screens.  They block his access to the outdoors.  He hasn't realized, after four years with me, that he's an indoor kitty.  He's also the cat that likes to run his claws through certain furniture.  He doesn't do this if I keep his nails trimmed - but I hate doing it, he hates having it done, and I've only had it done "professionally" once - and my 2 cats were so traumatized afterwards that i'm never ever taking them back to that groomers again.

he also doesn't scratch on furniture if when we have a catnip rubbed scratch post.

My advice: * avoid poisons in the guise of cat repellant, like Cloverdragon mentioned. * get their nails trimmed at a groomer you trust with your life  * get a scratching post. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007 12:52:06 AM »

p.s. your little troublemaker is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007 01:17:08 AM »

Cats want to get everywhere - it's a fact of life! Sorry! They believe that it's their right to have access to every part of your their home. Even if you provide them with every thing they could possibly want or need, they will still scratch somewhere they can't get in! I have rubbed watered down Citronella essential oil on doors (and the carpet at the bottom) that I like to shut now and again to prevent this. This usually offends their noses enough to make them give up. Lemons or oranges will have the same effect and none of these will harm the little blighters loves!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007 01:27:20 AM »

I think a good scratching post would help quite a bit.  Part of the reason that cats scratch is to mark their territory.  If you put something that he can scratch in the area where you sleep, I think it may help solve your problem.  (Unless he's scratching because he's shut out.)

Good luck with you're little mischief maker.  He is quite the cutie! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solorn

Doesn't play well with others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007 01:58:22 AM »

Citronella oil, lemon grass, orange or lavender can help to deter your furbag:) Buy lots of toys and a scratching post too as sometimes it's just boredom. If it's snuggles he's after then buy him a fluffy bed and a teddy bear, rub them with catnip to attract him, and put it somewhere warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007 05:13:41 AM »

orange scented furniture polish on the wood.  cats hate orange.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007 06:53:48 AM »

Citrus fruit tend to put cats off going near something, but if he's shut out, maybe he's just lonely? We couldn't have one of my cats in our bedroom for a while, because he'd climb everything and insisting on waking us every five minutes (he has an incredible need for attention, even though he's not the only cat in the household)
But eventually he just got better, and we can have him with us now. He still wakes us at the break of dawn, but it's bearable Wink
We do have a problem with him chewing wires... I poured lemon juice over a cable to keep him off of it, but it didn't work. Some lemon juice spilled on the floor, and he greedily drank it. Sad He'll eat anything and everything, even though he always has food and fresh water.

Maybe your cat just needs company and some stimulation - cats can easily get bored in apartments. Smiley
Get a... a "cat tree" kind of scratch board, one with something more than just rope on a stick, that might take some attention away from your door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007 07:01:04 AM »

My parent's large Maine coon type cat could probably shred an entire loveseat in less than twenty minutes.  They buy him these scratchers made of a shallow box filled with layer upon layer of corrugated cardboard, laid on end.  There's catnip in there, too.  He loves them so much, they're all he scratches on.  Maybe you've already tried that, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Indoor Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Fireworks Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Copy Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...