A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Thoughts on the THIS ROCKS Button Y'all...  (Read 5558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BatGrrl
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007 04:03:03 PM »

.....and I just had another thought.

Well ego-strokes are all well and good, SHOULD people have access to the number of rocks that get thrown at them and at others?  

I'm not sure how exactly rocking gets tallied, whether it's straight numbers or proportional to the traffic the specific board it's on gets.  Some boards on here just get more traffic than others, and something on a busy board might tally more rocks simply because more people see it, while a phenominal project on a lesser-trafficked board would rack up smaller numbers.  If selecting the featured projects is proportional, or takes into account that sheer number of rocks isn't the only factor, do you want to open yourself up to potential criticism from a multi-rocked project that was passed up for one that earned less rocks?  ("Why didn't you pick my awesome project for the featured projects?  I got 150 'this rocks' hits, and that smelly old Nintendo quilt you picked only got 50.")  Leah, it seems like you'd be the one that would directly end up dealing with that kind of potential fallout.

I don't know how this fits in with the actual process, and whether there are people who might feel snubbed, but, well, the thought occured to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007 04:04:43 PM »

This is really great dialog here!

One other idea to bat around would be multiple "this rock" buttons. I dunno if any of you use Yelp.com. I really love that site for looking up reviews on restaurants and stores, etc. Well, for every review you can click one of three buttons that say:

Useful
Funny
Cool

We could somehow have multiple buttons that say:

Like it!
Love it!
This Rocks My World!

Or... then again we could scrap the idea that you have to give your kudos via the "This Rocks" buttons and keep things the way they are now where those comments are interspersed with other info in the thread.

Lots to think about!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007 04:06:26 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Muria
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007 04:24:57 PM »

Would it be possible to put the "This Rocks" button in any post that contains an image (kind of like the "show images in this thread" button)? I like the idea of an awesome tip receiving a potential for "This Rocks", but it makes it hard for the tip to be a featured project.

Could you keep the "This Rocks" number out of the equation, and just allow the person who posted the project (or the comment) to see the comments? That way, person 1 who posted awesome earrings knows they received 15 specific comments, but doesn't  know how many people hit "this rocks" without commenting, and doesn't know how many "This Rocks" the infinity dress(es) got, even if it was the same exact number.

I might be interested in a one time message, like "This item has rocked xx number of times."  when you vote for it, just as a side thing, but not sure how doable that is either.

I like the scale idea, but not sure how it would work in practice. It's kind of easy for people's feelings to get hurt if everyone "just" likes their project, although that happens when your project has been viewed 60 times and no one comments on it either.   Undecided

Btw, I just love this concept: "the number of rocks that get thrown at them"  Grin   When you make an awesome project, be sure to duck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007 04:36:52 PM »

1. It would appear just once at the top of each THREAD rather than under every POST. There's no good reason to have it under every post, right?

3. When you click it you can enter a short comment (like "great job!") and at any time anyone can pull up and look at the list if comments. This will make it so that the person who posted the project can read all the kudos but the thread doesn't get bogged down with all kinds of brief comments.

5. Also when you press it, it could ask you if you want to bookmark the project while you're at it.

Thank YOU, Leah.

1.The only reason to have it under every post is that sometimes, the reply to a question is brilliant, so that the reply rocks.  But that's very seldom.

3. ... the person who posted the project can read all the kudos but the thread doesn't get bogged down with all kinds of brief comments. BLISS!

5. it could ask you if you want to bookmark the project while you're at it. MORE BLISS!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007 04:54:37 PM »

I don't think that "this rocks" should necessarily factor into hot new topics. I think that the amount of replies they're receiving seems, to me, to be a feasible way of determining hot new topics. It feels a little more objective to me.

Other than that, I'm fine with everything except that also I would like to note in regards to item one, most of the projects posted in spinning are done in the Fiber Friday threads. So, that would make it hard to "this rocks" an individual spinning project posted that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
mllejessy
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007 05:04:36 PM »

I don't think that "this rocks" should necessarily factor into hot new topics. I think that the amount of replies they're receiving seems, to me, to be a feasible way of determining hot new topics. It feels a little more objective to me.

I'm curious to see how this would pan out, just because it seems like a lot of what gets to be a Hot New Topic is something that's so awesome a bunch of people post compliments for it really quickly.
I don't think I like the option of private kudos--I like knowing which stuff everyone loves, or what a specific bunch of craftsters are all about.  And it seems like a lot of the great discussion (and swap ideas!) builds out of compliments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007 05:07:01 PM »

I agree with the people who said that "this rocks" should be separate from "hot topics". I like the frequency with which the hot topics change and I would assume that things with a lot of rocks might stay on the hot topics for a long time.

Other than that, I like the idea. I think it will take people a little while to readjust to "rock"ing instead of leaving positive comments, but I think that it's a relatively easy adjustment.

Leah, I especially like the idea of multiple buttons!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
regansbox
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007 05:19:36 PM »

I worry a bit about the counter showing, because I'm afraid it'll become a competition.

But otherwise, I think all the changes sound great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007 05:36:03 PM »

Maybe it can be visible only to the poster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007 06:06:19 PM »

Maybe it can be visible only to the poster?

I think that's a great idea. It would take the "competition" aspect of it away. Only the poster (and Leah) really need to know the numbers anyway.

I like the idea of having the three tiered "like it", "love it", "it rocks my world" comments. It would be great to be able to hit one of those instead of posting an actual comment on some projects, so you wouldn't keep getting notified every time someone else makes a "this is cool" comment.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to delete Pictures Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Auto Mode Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Aperture Priority Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Sunset Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Sports Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...