A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Try as i might , i cannot sell.  (Read 2385 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007 01:38:57 PM »

Anyone else have this problem?

Ive tried for years to sell my crafts , ect and ive yet to really do much more than break even.

i price low, use quality yet budget friendly products and people tell me all the time how great the things i make are.  But when i ask if they would want one ... i get blank stares. I cant even give them away much less sell them. 

ive always had this problem, even selling items at yardsales and such... while my friends would be sitting around talking on the phone their neon pink reboks would sell for 20$ but while i smiled and attended to anyone who needed me,  mine wouldnt even leave the yard for free.

it may just be luck , or rather the lack there of .. or it may just be me, but i never seem to get a hold on that one thing that people want to pay for . i know you wont sell things people dont want or need, and you cant push product without getting the word around and having good quality but nothing seems to work for me ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 02:30:08 PM »

what sort of products are you offering, Pretty Pistol?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007 03:22:11 PM »

Not knowing what the product(s) are, it's hard to answer. It could be a big combination of things. Your audience, product, quality, form...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultconsumer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007 10:59:23 PM »

Interestingly, sometimes a higher price brings more interest.  I even have a garage sale example.  Our friends were trying to sell their old TV.  I think he had 5 or 10 dollars on it and people would look at it, but no one would buy it.  He raised the price and it sold right away.  Pretty weird.   It's almost like the low price was sending a message that it wasn't worth having because it was priced so low and that maybe people thought that the seller didn't think it was "worth" anything.  Does that make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debra
I would be interested in doing personal swaps.
ISO:  skulls, skeletons, pirate stuff.
IHA or can make:  Waldorf doll making supplies, diaper making supplies, altoid tins, stuffies like ugly dolls, wool roving/needle felting

I have a wist, I have a wist!! 
www.wists.com/ultconsumer
created_by_wendy
Confused Crafter

Boredom breeds creativity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007 12:02:16 PM »

Welcome to the club!  I gave up years ago.

Some examples of my work.....

http://hometown.aol.com/createdbywendy/myhomepage/artgallery.html

and......

http://hometown.aol.com/createdbywendy/

As for yard sales....

I did this yesterday

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/createdbywendy/MVC-005S-1.jpg

It has 46 pairs of earring on it range $2 to $5 for the chandelier (Very popular right now) And I sold only1 pair for $2 yesterday.

I even had a display made up stating I do custom work. All they wanted to do was buy my new craft tote with all my suppiles in it. (I gave up lunch last week to get that tote!)

I'm with'ya on this one!

Wendy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007 12:04:26 PM by created_by_wendy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007 06:16:09 PM »

It's almost like the low price was sending a message that it wasn't worth having because it was priced so low and that maybe people thought that the seller didn't think it was "worth" anything.  Does that make any sense?

TOTALLY AGREE! I had this problem when I first opened my shop. When I raised prices, (which can be hard to do, in that I want people to be able to afford my jewelry, and even be able to make multiple purchases) by sales increased!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007 02:43:40 AM »

It's almost like the low price was sending a message that it wasn't worth having because it was priced so low and that maybe people thought that the seller didn't think it was "worth" anything.  Does that make any sense?

It's very true. Customer can at times perceive the price as the quality of the product, and sometimes putting at a higher price can say your product is high quality- this is often true for products they aren't sure of.

When you price your item, think about what does the price say about my product? High quality? Low quality? Good buy? Rip off?

It also helps if you place yourself in situations where you actually get to target your market. For example, you sell your products at yardsales (I'm not sure what your product is but I'll just pretend it's handmade jewellery for this purpose), but your target market is more likely to visit a craft fair or the markets. So even though your giving great customer service to people, it's not the people who are interested in your type of product.

This is all very general stuff, but perhaps if we knew what products you are selling we can help you abit better?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 02:45:39 AM by sparkling_gem1987 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007 03:02:40 AM »

Selling handmade things at yardsales can be hard because the people there are looking for cheap, used things at a bargain price.  So your prices have to be low enough to compete.  If there's a $2 sweater hanging on the rack next to you, and your fancy wool hand-knit scarves are going for $20 each, what do you think the buyer is going to do?

You'd probably have better luck selling to friends or through word of mouth.  If you  have the money to pay for a booth/table, try an art/craft fair.  Or if there are independent shops or boutiques in your area, see if they'll stock some of your work for a percentage of the sale price.

Making money at any kind of business is difficult until you get established.  If you're really dedicated to this, keep trying and hopefully tings will work out for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Circlesofstone
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007 01:04:27 PM »

I understand your frustration. Yardsales do not seem to be a good venue for crafts. I tried selling some earrings that I had hanging around in my inventory last year at a garage sale. I dropped the price from $12.00 to $4.00 hoping this would get them moving, but I only sold one to a little boy for a Mother's Day gift.

Most people would just walk by my table and not even look at them. One man asked if I had any estate jewelry. I think garage sale people are looking for vintage in the jewelry department. Oh well, my teenage sons made a killing selling alot of old toys and my husband did too selling old tools.

Funny thing is I sold many of those earrings at the next craft fair I did at my regular price! Hang in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ms.cate
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007 10:21:47 PM »

Yes I agree yard and garage sales arent really the way to go. I was selling hair clips for $3 (that people would stop and ask me about in the street) and only sold 4 pairs. People want bargains not craft it would seem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sushi Dipping Sauce
How to Make Sushi Rolls
How to Make Wasabi and Sushi Rice
How to make Vegan Kimchi
How to Make Blue Roll Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...