A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress Form  (Read 2059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Necia
« on: April 10, 2007 12:56:31 PM »

Can any of ya'll recommend a good dress form.  I've checked the thread on Pattern Review, and I'm even more overwhelmed than I was before.  The only conclusion I've come to thus far, is to buy a smaller form and size her up, but could use some opinions on the various forms available for sell.

TYIA
Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stealaline
The best part of believe is the lie. I hope you sing along.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007 09:27:20 PM »

duct tape dress form.

really. make one. you'll never regret it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist
my personal LJ
win with me on winzy! prizes I've won:$10 amazon gc Friends:4
I really want a sock monkey, or 5! Where do you people get those awesome socks?!?!
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007 09:46:51 AM »

Right now, Joann.com is having a sale on dressforms and free shipping! http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=40924

I got my dress form from a thrift shop... its a pain in the butt- not all the dials work, and it tends to get bent out of shape. Also, like most dress forms, it is built to "perfect proportions"- its hard for me to adjust i to my shape (bigger boobs, wide hips, etc). I wound putting one of my own bras on it and stuffing it. Ill probably make one out of duct tape and put that over my current dress form for stability.

But other dress forms are pretty well made, and are much easier to adjust. If you intend to just use it for yourself, I would say try making a duct tape form first, because then you have your exact specifications. If you make clothes for others and need to adjust to their sizes, then i would recommend a dress form.

The Dritz Twin Fit Dress forms at Joanns are very well made... expensive, but worth the cost. They come n a variety of sizes. Usually dress forms adjust to range of sizes (like 5 or 6 sizes). I would take your measurements, and buy a form where your measurements lie in the middle of the range, to allow for weight gain or loss, or for different patterns, etc.

Good luck, hope I helped a little bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007 12:13:27 PM »

Semi-related question... how hard is it to pad a dress form up a size?  I was thinking of getting one, and I'm right on the border. 

I'd need a standard dress form for my waist, and a plus size one for my hips/bust.  Seems like, since I've been dropping weight, getting a form that will fit my waist would be ideal, and padding it up for as long as I need to.  But, how feasible is that? 
(the idea of putting a well-fitting bra on it and stuffing that had occurred to me, but I'm kind of at a loss for the hips/butt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrandTheftUno
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007 12:21:16 PM »

I've turned a size 6 dress form into a 14 by building it up with 1/4" foam, lots of pins, a well stuffed bra and a lycra shirt. I'm working on building it up to an 18 so it will actually mimic me/my proportion.

I find that most store bought ones are never the correct propotions (even if the measurements are right)

I'd like to make a duct tape one, I just dont want to make it and go "oh maan, thats my size!?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007 03:45:40 AM »

I'd like to make a duct tape one, I just dont want to make it and go "oh maan, thats my size!?"
That is exactly what goes through my mind... do I want to get to my sewing by squeezing past my own big butt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
tatdarlin
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007 04:36:42 AM »

EXACTLY! lol

hubby got me a dressform for christmas. i set her up to my proportions and the first thing he said after was, wow do you really have that belly pooch like it does?

i have had to embellish her a lil bit with padding to get proportional proportions but it wasnt too hard to do at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007 04:59:01 AM »

I just made a duct tape double this weekend (you really need someone else to wrap), and DD put it on. Needless to say, my attributes are quite a bit further south than hers. Undecided  And yes, the true human form was not really meant to be seen in the medium of duct tape. Roll Eyes  But if it helps you get a better fit on your clothes, that's the important part.

Having said that, my first intended project is to make a cover so I don't have to look at it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
CrAzYhOuSe
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007 07:40:07 AM »

I bought mine used, she fits my waist and hips but the chest and bum were lacking. I am adding foam and a padded bra to her. So far she looks great and functions well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babybluangel
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007 11:36:19 AM »

how would i make one from duct tape?  is there a tutorial or somethng?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tom Pelphrey on Playing Jonathan Randall in Guiding Light
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith Discusses Girls of Tender Age
James Scurlock Discusses His Book Maxed Out
Where Valerie Fitzgerald Would Like to Be Right Now
Retired General Russell Honore Wishes He Had This Talent
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...