A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Houseplant infestation -help!  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

longlivequeen
« on: April 10, 2007 09:07:54 AM »

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I think I bought some infected soil without knowing it and now my plants have little bugs in their soil. They leave little yellow round (eggs?) and I'm not sure what pest they are. Tips on control? I'm willing to repot all my plants if necessary but does anyone have any tips that are less drastic? What are these little buggers anyway???  Huh
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007 09:10:37 AM by longlivequeen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 09:17:41 AM »

Undecided

the only thing i can think is fungus gnats
if this is the case, they tend to thrive in moist soil, up to 2" deep and feed off roots.
i had them in my cat grass (my theory is that since the roots are so shallow they love cat grass...just my theory though)

you can dry out the soil, don't water your plants for a while
might be better to repot though. you can reuse that soil but will have to sterilize it by putting it in the oven - don't think it's hard to do, google for correct times/temps

take care of this problem before they hatch and lay more eggs! they hatch in about 3-6 days. keep an eye out for fruit fly like beings - fungus gnats look like fruit flies in that they're tiny gnats so yeah...

good luck!

oh oh! there's also this powder you can get that you put in the soil and it kills all insects but won't hurt your plant or anything. my parents use it to bring outdoor plants in in the fall. don't know if it's safe for pets though so if you have any, check that first
but it would be the simplest solution
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
longlivequeen
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007 09:20:56 AM »

Thank you! My guess from my searches was aphids. Does anyone think that is a possibility or are gnats more likely?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longlivequeen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007 09:39:21 AM »

Does anyone know about sterilising soil in a microwave? I heard it works if you do it for 15 minutes but it just sounds kind of bizarre. Will it kill anything ( how about my plants?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longlivequeen
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007 10:03:30 AM »

I think I need to rename this board houseplant gardening for an imbecil. Does anybody here know the proper timings for OVEN sterilization? My searches yielded three different things. As for the microwave, it just dawned on me that I don't want radioactive  plants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007 03:51:00 PM »

I've never done the soil in the oven thing, but I have heard/read that it really stinks.... apparently!  I've also read about placing the soil onto a piece of black plastic (garbage bag would work) and leaving it in the sun for a number of days.

As far as the aphids go I've had great success with a spray bottle filled with water (approx. 1 cup of water) and add some dish soap (approx 1/2 tsp) -- the real hand dish washing stuff (something like Dawn is good), not the dishwasher stuff.  Also make sure it is not anti-bacterial or anything like that.

Once you've got your spray bottle all ready to go you just spray onto the leaves of your plant and make sure to get the bottom side of the leaves as well since lots of bugs like to hide there. Also check any other hiding spots -- like where leaves overlap and stuff like that. You can also safely use this soapy water on the soil.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007 04:29:05 PM »

Fungus knats! So THAT'S what's been killing my mint plant. Thanks for posting this, I thought I was hallucinating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007 04:33:44 PM »

I used "neem" once for something similar, but it smelled horrible. I think it worked, all I really remember is the stench!

(courtesy of the not-very-helpful department)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
longlivequeen
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007 05:20:33 PM »

Thanks everyone. Btw, fungus gnats, I've heard, are treatable without pesticides if you use a potato, leave it out for a day and throw it out. The gnats lay their eggs in it, so repeat this until the larvae are not there (no idea how long this takes) Heard wine traps the adults. Now, any way of doing this without attracting small mammals into my apartment???  Huh Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007 07:18:31 AM »

On one of the gardening forums I belong to one of the members accidently put peppermint tea on her plants (instead of camomile tea which good for preventing 'damp off' in new seedlings).  Anyways, after this incident with the peppermint tea she noticed that the fungus gnats had dissappeared. The trick would be to water all the plants with the peppermint tea so that they can't jump over to another container.  Obviously this is not "scientifically tested" or anything like that but it has apparently worked for others that have tried it since.

Ofcourse, the main trick for getting rid of fungus gnats is to not over water or have standing water in the dishes under the container.  Oh, and also, this trick came from Ken Beatty (a Canadian gardener who used to have a gardening talkshow) he always said to "treat the traps" as in the traps in the pipes of the sinks. His recommendation was to put some veg. oil down the drain at nights or at least during a time when the sinks won't be used for several hours.  Apparently the gnats like to lay eggs in any standing water so putting oil in it hurts/kills the eggs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Vegeta
How to Draw Vaporeon
How to Draw Tyson Granger
How to Draw Tony Chopper
How to Draw Tomoki Sakurai
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...