A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any pics of small places with an organized craft room?!  (Read 1229 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 10, 2007 08:47:24 AM »

Does anyone have any pics of small rooms or apartments that they've decorated for their craft areas? I live in the city with a small place and am trying to fit everything in it while still keeping with my streamlined/wanna be modern and somehow still clean apartment and craft area. I see a ton of people on here with houses or large places and while I dream of an actual craft ROOM, for now I have a small apartment and need to make it fit in here and not be messy. Darn that Martha Stewart Organizing for making me want to be so darn organized.
Any help/ideas/pics/threads would seriously rock!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 09:24:13 AM »

i have a one-bedroom apartment for my partner and me and not much room so i'm in the same boat as you.

for before pics:
http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/2007/04/clean-clean-craft.html

am in the process of redoing my craft areas, will post pics when done. i've had to keep my supplies and actual crafting AREA separate because of how my place is set up. but it hasn't caused any problems. i keep all the supplies in my bedroom (the are that i'm redoing) and then in the living room i have a small round table by the window which serves as a table for whatever and as a decent sewing/crafting table when needed.  before i had the table there i had to use the floor a lot which could get annoying. i still have to use the floor though for laying out patterns since the table is smallish

post pics of your place if possible - each apartment works differently depending on layout and the such.

i found those plastic drawers you can buy at zellers and stuff a life saver. i'm in the process of getting a bigger plastic drawer set for all my fabric which will help sooo much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
Vampirial_Lust
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007 10:11:02 PM »

I am in the same predicament myself.
My fiancee and I are both crafty, so we decided to divide the room in two. One side for him, one side for me. (this leaves me with even less space) We basically put all our items around the perimeter of the room and left the middle free. This way, althought there is TONs of crap in the room, it looks less cluttered. Atleast thats wut we taught ourselves to believe. 

Also, try and build UP as apposed to just at eye level. Its ok to need a step stool to reach things.

sorry no picts as of yet. My room is so messy right now Smiley
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007 10:30:38 PM by Vampirial_Lust » THIS ROCKS   Logged

L i N z E e
crafting in my cave
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007 01:17:57 AM »

I made one of my closets into my crafting and sewing room. It's like having an extra room in my apartment! I can close the door if it's too messy. Smiley But, since it is a closet, I had to hang a small fan from the shelf, so that I could get some air circulating. Here's what I did:

• Installed an electrical outlet. It's on the same switchplate as the lightswitch, so no need to cut extra drywall. Great for adding a desk light. Plugged in a powerstrip and hung it to the wall, so I can plug in desklight, sewing machine, gluegun all at the same time!
  • Mounted a folding shelf to the wall. http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/101361.do
  • Adhered a self-stick measuring tape to the table length for a permanent ruler
  • Made a bulletin board for notes and ideas
  • Organized supplies into clear, plastic containers
  • A rolling cart with drawers keeps some of smaller, everyday items handy. http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=654562&Nr=200000&N=201569&An=browse (I wish mine had the laminate top like they sell now.
  • Hanging on the closet rod are gift bag holders. Made by Rubbermaid, but I can't find them anymore. They're great because I limit myself to putting one project in each holder and they hang out of the way! It's hanging next to the paper towel roll.

• A shoe organizer was saved from the trash bin by becoming my handy, within reach supplies holder.
  • Since this is a closet, it gets warm, so I hung a small fan from the shelving...hung by shoelaces!
  • A yet-to-be-painted shelf has an extra printer and marked shelves for adhesives and cardboard
  • A wall-mounted hand vac is handy for cleaning up immediately.

• The shelves above are all supplies stored in plastic bins, so that I can see everything. It also helps remind me "oh yeah, I want to make a..." Bins are for bookbinding, Chinese brush painting, stamping, etc. Sewing supplies take a couple bins.
  • Boxes store patterns and WIP sewing

• I hang my paper on skirt hangers. The hangers hook onto each other and form a long tree.

The paper fits behind the door, so they don't get mashed. I used to hang them from the closet rod, but they're wider than the shelving, so they would swing in the way. Besides, I also use the hanging space above the printer area for drying my bras and pantyhose, so it was nice to keep the wet things away from the paper.  Cheesy

What you don't see is that on the right hand side of the desk, there are hooks to hang my T-squares. My fabric stash is a dresser in my bedroom. That's the only thing I couldn't fit in here.

I love my converted closet! I hope this gives you some ideas!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
muguet
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007 01:23:31 AM »

That's awesome!  I love how you have your own little cozy crafting retreat!  The setup is compact yet complete and organized.  Looks like you've thought of everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://muguet.wordpress.com/

And the essential wistlist:
www.wists.com/muguet

Recycle your books and get new ones! PaperBack Swap
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007 08:00:55 AM »

I did this too.. though now my Dh's tools have made it into the closet with out my permission and we have to talk Angry

I'll have to take a picture as soon as I claim it back.. good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vampirial_Lust
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007 11:11:36 AM »

I really like the idea of hanging the fabrics/paper on hangers. Its been driving me Batty for the last month trying to figure out how to store them.
Thanks for the idea. U ROCK!  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

L i N z E e
jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007 02:56:42 PM »

Hahaha! Bombgirl did you throw some clothes around before you took your "before" pics to make the "after" pics even more dramatic? I should do that! It's like an Oprah show where they show the before and then the after is like sparkling. I can't wait to see after pics!!!!

CraftinginMyCave, that is just a rockin idea! I would so love to have my own little "room"! My boyfriend thinks my "crafty" house is a little on the nerdy side but I can't figure out where to put my stuff. Darn these old Chicago buildings!

It is nice to see though that there are other stuggling crafters who don't have houses and "craft rooms" or a craft wing to the house. I feel a little less lame. I'll take some pics when I get home and post them so you get an idea of my little area. Maybe I'll throw some stuff around so my after pictures will looklike day and night! Kidding! Smiley

Keep posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007 08:25:28 PM »

Hahaha! Bombgirl did you throw some clothes around before you took your "before" pics to make the "after" pics even more dramatic? I should do that! It's like an Oprah show where they show the before and then the after is like sparkling. I can't wait to see after pics!!!!

oh god i wish that was the case...sadly that's what my room looks like after we've slacked on cleanign for a while

i know what i'm going to do, just need to go to ikea. i'm getting clothing racks (basically a standing closet rod) to hang all my fabric and for the smaller pieces i'm going to get those cloth shelves that hang on the rod and put them in there

i'm just hopign that it'll FIT in the really really small area behind my clost door that's my crafting area
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007 08:48:59 PM »

We've all had days like your clothes on the floor and when you live in a small space more times then you would like.  Do you have a Dollar General in your area?  When I was in mine last week they had really cool stacking bins. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Manipulate a Selection in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Selection Tools in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Lasso Tools in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...