A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Confetti journal - Tutorial! IMG OBESE!  (Read 1820 times)
Tags for this thread: book_cover , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

klynslis
« on: April 09, 2007 08:16:59 PM »

I made a confetti cover for a new journal. Enjoy!

First, grab your text block and cut some cover boards (I like to use cereal boxes) about a quarter inch larger on the top and bottom and then on one of the sides than the block. Then cut two pieces of fabric and one piece of vinyl in the shape shown, with a seam allowance and space for the spine plus about 1/4 inch for the center and and on the outside of the spine, plus an envelope flap end that will reach about halfway around the front of the journal.

Cut one of the fabric pieces at the point where the right hand board would end, then press the inside edges over by about a half inch.

Sandwich the layers together as shown and paper clip the layers together to avoid puncturing the vinyl. Sew the layers together at about 8 stitches per inch, leaving an opening in the edge, which should actually be bigger than the one I left.

Turn the piece right side out and drop your confetti into the opening as shown. (I used shredded money, but I would suggest something flatter!)

Place one of your boards into the square end, and then distribute your confetti in that end, then sew through the board as shown.

Place the other board inside the other pocket, then shift it into the right position using the text block. Top stitch all the way around the perimeter of the book about an eighth inch away from the edge to keep the boards in place and to close off the opening.

Add buttons and a tie, and you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my etsy shop! http://LYarost.etsy.com
Paulasews
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 01:26:41 AM »

wow, thank you so much, you have just given me the perfect gift for one of my oldest and dearest friends! she is getting married in July and they are using love heart sweets (heart shaped candy with messages on, in case you don't know them) as their theme. I am going to make her a wedding journal for her to make note of all the finer details in and insert wedding confetti and love hearts between the layers. Now I just need to find where I can buy the clear vinyl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klynslis
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007 04:20:46 AM »

Paula -

You are quite welcome! Your idea sounds so great. You can buy the vinyl at the fabric store. It's quite inexpensive.

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my etsy shop! http://LYarost.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Doug Jaeger on How Photography Passion Plays Into Creative Career
OneMore
PlayItAgain
GlassGirl
Nature Photography in Yellowstone Park
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...