A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,541
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nearly done with wedding/ceremony invites  (Read 2139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*MAR*
« on: April 08, 2007 10:18:25 PM »

One set of wedding invites nearly down, one to go....

I made most of the Chicago wedding ceremony/reception, rsvp, maps, etc. The only piece of the puzzle I bought was what I used for the reception invite (because everyone is invited to the reception, our ceremony is private). I was going to make the whole she-bang, but I saw the most perfect photo on an invite (a bride and groom kissing, riverside) and couldn't find it anywhere to duplicate it myself. We're getting married on the river and it was too perfect, plus it fit with both the Walt Whitman and Robert Frost quote I wanted to use!  Here's some shots of the work we've been doing. After spending a week on the STD's, I am finding this is moving much quicker!

Here you can see the ceremony invite on the left, our lovely b&w reception invite in the middle and the embossed ceremony card envelope on the right:

Outside of the ceremony invite:

Inside of the ceremony invite, with green vellum insert:

Detail of my envelope embossing, phew! That took a while, but I love how it looks and feels!:

So, getting close! Just have to get the RSVP's finished, work on the map a bit more (I'm not totally jazzed with my first attempt, 4 hours and still not in love with it.....), the labels are nearly done, and my honey just bought the stamp on line!

Tell me what you think, or if you have any questions.
Thanks for looking,

M*

THIS ROCKS   Logged
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007 12:41:00 AM »

I really like the embossing.  Did you use a rubber stamp?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
Murphy88

My Mom made and designed my dress!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007 07:38:00 AM »

That's a really great poem. It is sentimental but not cheesy. The colours are awesome too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007 12:06:45 PM »

I really like the embossing.  Did you use a rubber stamp?

Yep, rubber stamp. I wrapped it over the top of the envelope to make it look more pro. I also made sure the branch end goes OFF the envelope. The first couple tries had the branch end, truncated at the end of the stamp, and it looked so silly. I started rubbing off the ink in that section and got the look I wanted. Then, the embossing assembly line began! ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007 12:10:06 PM »

That's a really great poem. It is sentimental but not cheesy. The colours are awesome too!

I thought so too. The other quote we used is a Walt Whitman quote, "Just as you feel when you look on the river and sky, so I felt." Both of the quotes have a natural feel, are taken from longer pieces, and I haven't seen them used a lot. That helps with the "cheese" factor, if you haven't seen the quote a million times.

Thanks! I love the colours too. Our other colour is fuschia. They are basically all the cherry blossom colours. I am trying to figure how to work a bit of fuschia into the invites without it seeming too thrown in. I may just have to suck it up and stick with the green and brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007 08:27:02 PM »

That's one of my favorite Robert Frost poems. I think my older sister is planning to read it at our ceremony. Awesome how great minds think alike. Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
*MAR*
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007 09:14:31 PM »

That's one of my favorite Robert Frost poems. I think my older sister is planning to read it at our ceremony. Awesome how great minds think alike. Lovely work.

That's cool!
I'm trying to figure out a reading for one of my sisters. It has to be short and sweet and not religious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007 10:24:28 PM »

I think my younger sister is going to find part/all of a song by bob dylan to read. She's a really big fan of his, so it'll be a neat part of her personality incorporated into my wedding. Both of my sisters are being a little indecisive but we've got time. But song lyrics can be a really good place to co-opt readings from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
*MAR*
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007 10:54:58 AM »

Yes, that is the direction we were headed, as we're both musicians. What sucks is that the songs that MEAN so much to us are so dour or sad, and wouldn't be appropriate for a wedding. Trying to dig through all the sad music we listen to for a bit of sunshine is hard, without it being maudlin. I don't know. argh. We're dj'ing our own wedding and I've just finished uploading the music, there's 7 hours thus far..... gotta be something happy AND prophetic in that mix, right?  Wink

I was joking to him last night that since we're getting married on the Chicago River, we should use "Take Me To the River" by the Talking Heads for our recessional. "Don't know why I love you like I do....". ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007 11:31:40 AM »

Here's the inner and outer envelopes all lined up and ready to go! We mailed them off last week, and are already getting RSVP's, it is so exciting!!

Oh, and I didn't write things out by hand, as I have terrible handwriting. I think our guest will forgive us, as I made the invites by hand! At least, I hope they will. Also, I didn't spell out the name of the states, that is a no-no, whoopsie. and I was informal with the names on the inner envelopes. Another ettiquette failure, but I think I'll get over it. I wanted our guests to feel the casual nature of the event with the way we addressed them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rainbow Cupcake Recipe
How to Make Nutella Fudge Pops
How to Make a Tapioca Pudding With Coconut Caramel Sauce
How to Make a Chocolate Cake With Nutella Buttercream Frosting
A Strawberry Spin on Classic Lemon Bars
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...