A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to buy roving: Sheep Shed Studio testimonials  (Read 30696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ozarkcat
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2006 07:44:43 AM »

Yes, angora comes from Angora bunnies, mohair comes from Angora goats. We're at the point that we're starting to sell some of the fiber to a local fiber store, and when these guys get a little bigger, we'll probably be able to start offering some through our webpage & will probably post here as well as a few other sites I can think of. I think you can see a little of the doe (mama) in the background, she's the really fuzzy charcoal grey blob in the background - she's technichally black, but on angoras, it's a bit lighter than the actual color.

We got into them about 8 or 9 months ago - I know we had them when we had family visiting over the 4th of July last year, but not when my daughter was born in April (gotta blame the mommy brain on that one;) ) They're really enjoyable little critters, and take just a little more time than regular bunnies because of the coats - you have to watch for matts (felting) & when they're blowing their coats (just like a dog or cat suddenly going into uber-shedding mode) you need to pluck them (which sounds a lot worse than it is - you get ahold of a little bit of hair & kind of let it slide through your fingers with just a little resistance, and it falls right out - usually they've got the next coat already growing in, but it's very short. The size of the bunny is usually cut in half by the time you're done. Some folks clip or sheer their bunnies, but I don't like the way the fiber ends up, because it gives it a blunt end instead of that ethereal bloom that it has otherwise.

You'll have to forgive me going on, I am a total fiber geek  Roll Eyes and could go on ad nauseum Wink

Cathi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
Handmade soaps, candles, fiber art, and more:
http://mistymanormercers.com/
chipper
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2006 08:07:49 AM »

those little cuties are soo, well cute  Grin  I'm definitely going to have to look into a bunny.  Maybe it'll help me with the "another baby wouldn't be a bad thing" thoughts I've been having  Smiley  I already have 3 (5 1/2, 3 1/2 and 2).  A cute little bunny that won't talk back... sounds like just the thing  Smiley    thanks for the pic
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

niftyknitter

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006 05:38:12 PM »

I have always wanted to learn how to spin but I have shyed away because of the cost, though continuing to stalk the spinning forums here longingly.... but when I saw this post I decided it was time to jump on the bandwagon, cause at those costs a spinning addiction would be practically cheaper than a knitting one, plus you then get to knit what you spin Smiley so I bought 2 lbs to start out with and will be making a DIY drop spindle when summer gets here to try this out... cant wait for summer to get here...
I also was given a thank you bag of a really pretty brown/black/white mix that I will uses to try as my first spinning attempt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
http://seewetzbike.wordpress.com
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006 08:16:50 PM »

AWW! I loved this thread (and immediately bought some fiber!) and then I saw those bunnies and my heart stopped!
I've been researching buying (and taking care of) a French Angora for almost a year...so if you're near enough, ozarkcat, I'm really in the market for one! 
This is actually my first post to the spinning board...I just got my wheel yesturday and had my first lesson today...although I taught myself to knit from a book and seem to be doing better when NOT in front of a teacher...so I don't know if I'll take more lessons...
Anyhow, now that I have a wheel, I'm ready for my bunny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ozarkcat
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2006 09:02:08 PM »

Staralee -
Sent you a PM about the bunnies.

We should hopefully have some more bunnies available in the next few months - this litter is probably another 2-4 weeks away from being weaned - we'd rather keep them with mama an extra couple weeks so that they're really healthy, so we are aiming for between 2-3 litters a year, probably, and will start being a bit more selective about our breeding within the next six months or so as we have a few more buns to choose from. The little brown one near the front is a chestnut agouti, which is like the fiber itself is variagated on a single strand of hair - very cool, and we'll be breeding that one in about 6 months, or a little earlier if he's feeling frisky Wink We're in southwest Missouri, but have housemates who are OTR truck drivers who get to most of the US, with the exception of the northern Rockies and a few areas of New England, and have helped us out with delivering/picking up things at various points in their travels.

Cathi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
Handmade soaps, candles, fiber art, and more:
http://mistymanormercers.com/
misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2006 08:29:33 PM »

just so you know, carol has some SUPERWASH for sale now as well as some already dyed mill end BUMPS.

I ordered 13 pounds of stuff.  I feel like I might puke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulicat
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2006 07:11:44 PM »

Oh Jennie, this is the bestest tip I have had on Craftster. *sniff* This roving has got me all choked up... I don't know how to thank you! My man would probably call you an enabler, but I can hardly contain myself! I'm expecting my 6 lb baby soon. Woo hoo!

Hey guys, can we give knitR a prize for this awesome find and her generosity in sharing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiehaynes
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2006 11:15:52 AM »

I think have ordered at least 10 ounds of that stuff by now, if not more!  I love mixing the greys with other fibers I have.  If you have not gotten any of the greys yet you really should...they are beautiful!  Thanks again for the heads up Jennie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2006 08:46:19 PM »

what's the difference between the "bells" and the roving? (sort of newbie spinner here) i want to order 1 lb of the greys and 1 lb of the browns, i just dont know if getting them in bells is a bad idea ( it's cheaper though)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Sockdiva
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2006 06:08:16 PM »

Hmmm, I STILL haven't gotten my order. I emailed last night, but no response as of yet. It was March 24th, so it's been weeks. Has anyone had any trouble getting their stuff? Or with communcation?

Sock
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sockdiva.etsy.com
Omiyage, unique yarns, fibers, and jewelry

http://deedolce.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Henry Coleman Talks About The Man from Oakdale
Rebecca Chace Talks About Leaving Rock Harbor
A ValueTales Treasury Book Trailer
Jessica DuLong Talks About My River Chronicles
Tweak Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...