A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to buy roving: Sheep Shed Studio testimonials  (Read 32342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2009 08:20:20 PM »

Really? I know it is quite a lot, but I'd say only if you're buying very small amounts. For me, I calculated 6 pounds (white mill ends) plus shipping to be roughly $60 (USD). At $10 a pound, I've not seen many places that are that cheap, and if they are, it's before shipping. That's great for someone who wants a bunch o' wool they can dye themselves or whatever. Obviously I'd never ever pay that much for shipping if I was going for smaller amounts and/or more specialty stuff.

I'm curious though...what other online retailers are cheaper that you know of? Because I'm a poor, about-to-be college student who is always looking for cheapness now that she picked up this expensive hobby!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2009 07:04:29 AM »

I'll jump in and say that I think SSS shipping is outrageous, so much so that I've stopped buying wool from them.They used to have the cheapest wool available but that's just not true anymore; ounce for ounce, once shipping is factored in, it's as much if not more than wool from other online retailers.

yes at 55$ then add another 55$ for shipping (total 110$) for a 10 lb white grab bag, that still only 11$ a lb.... maybe thats not so exorbitant? perhaps it is.  I've honestly never payed much attention.... stinking recession.... LOL 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freefolk
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2009 04:33:40 PM »

If I were to order a pound of mill ends from SSS, it would cost me $17.52 with shipping. My last two orders of wool according to PayPal were $18.42 for one pound of gorgeous merino roving all in one length. The other order was $28.68 for over 2# of roving from a farm in California; again, real roving not mill ends. So, $16.34 a lb.

Mill ends require more work and you don't have the option of selling that wool as a dyed roving. It being the cheapest available used to make it worth it, but like I said, it's not cheaper or it's only negligibly cheaper than roving. Not worth it.

I don't have a regular go to person online; I just watch eBay for good deals. I never pay more than $1 an ounce for wool (before shipping).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009 04:36:56 PM by freefolk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2009 09:12:54 AM »

I have found that SSS mill ends take less work than most other fiber I have spun.  The stuff of comparable price at my local spinning shop is like spinning polyester stuffing.  Lots of pre-drafting. My stuff from SSS came in huge long lengths of up to 20 feet.  Once it was dyed, it looked just like the expensive stuff at my local shop and spun much better.  Zero pre-drafting.

I guess it is kind of a risk you take when buying mill ends.  I have never had a problem.  Shipping isn't that bad for me.  It comes out to just under $10 a pound if I buy 15 pounds. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2009 04:13:19 PM »

I bought 2 pounds from SSS and I was happy with it. I haven't seen anything processed for near that cheap. The shipping only went up a about .70 when I added my second pound. I was also really happy with my wool. It spins nicely and takes in dye nicely too. I wouldn't use the SSS roving to sell, but I don't think it's horrible. It is desirable as I've had it claimed in STS. I'm pretty sure I've claimed some too and lapoli even has some up right now. I really liked spinning the mill ends undyed. They're really soft. I also had huge lengths in my box. Two of them were at least 15 ft long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
bigboots
Hippy Pirate

Begin, believe, be, beget.

« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2009 08:28:06 PM »

Bought three pounds (1 each of white, black tones, and turquoise tones) just a second ago. I haven't even gotten the spindles made on Ponoko yet. Smiley Just got too excited I guess! It worked out to 11.683USD/lb after shipping. *finally prepares email to Ponoko for design consultation*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't pay the ferryman
blog |
artsy fartsy site | flickr | twitter
fancyarbor

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2009 11:46:51 AM »

I watch for sales on Paradise Fibers.  If you order in larger quantities, you can get a really good deal when they put their stuff on sale.  Plus, they ship quick and I've never had a problem with them.  Though, I will definitely be checking out those other stores!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2009 12:04:04 PM »

Roll Eyes .............Time to head to the Shed again.............lol...........15# didn't last as long as I thought it would.................. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
lariarocket
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2009 08:53:53 PM »

Reading all these posts has gotten me so jealous! I can't believe I'm just now reading this thread. I just bought a loom yesterday so fiber for spinning is out of the question at the moment, but you better believe I'll be buying from them VERY soon! They sound amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I don't have no costume, and I don't wear no new clothes...my body just follows wherever my heart goes*

http://my-ocean-view.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/lariarocket
Jane Doe

« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2010 02:57:28 PM »

I've just re-read this thread too
It's got posts in it that are 5 years old!
When I have some more time, I'm going to read through the lot, check all the studios mentioned are still in operation and do a new summary post.
Gee there's a lot to read through
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panning With High Speed Flash
Photographing Carnival Rides at Night
Off Book: Light Painting
Off Book: Technology Used for Seeing Beyond the Human Eye
How to Take Wedding Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...