A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Hobby Lobby getting less crafty too?!  (Read 1013 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2007 10:04:23 AM »

I went to the new Hobby Lobby in Norman, OK yesterday, and it was scary!  Over half the store was fugly home dec stuff, and I've never seen so many fake flowers.  There was only an aisle and a half of yarn, and very little fabric.  Most of it was fur, fleece, or seasonal.  Hobby Lobby never has much for notions or thread, but this was sad.  The only craft section that didn't suffer was scrapbooking and the kiddie Christian crafts.  (There's a Mardel in the same building, so why the need to have more in Hobby Lobby, I don't know.)
My mom noticed there was less yarn and fabric at the stores in Plano, TX too, so she asked one of the ladies at the cutting table.  She said they were going to get rid of the home dec fabric completely, and cut back on the other fabric as well.  She didn't know about the yarn, but guessed they were cutting back there too.
Anyone heard anything about this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AGFH
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007 06:43:24 PM »

I have noticed this too and it's very upsetting.
As you said, at least half of the store is home deco stuff now.

I am not a scrapbooker and it's no fun having to go past aisle upon aisle of scrapbook supplies just to get to my one littel tiny aisle of beads or thread.  Undecided

I did find my big 50's style vases there though so that makes me happy.

Michaels is acting like they are moving that way too.
Either that or they are going to carry nothing BUT scrapbooking supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
silverlining86

*Road Trip Junkie*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007 07:16:40 PM »

I can't complain about the abundance of scrapping supplies at our hobby lobby because I am a huge scrapbooker but I have also noticed that the fabric selection has dwindled down to seasonal, fleece and a few calicos and home decors which makes me very sad. I love fabric and since our local wal-mart has almost cut out their entire stock of fabrics I am left with JoAnns which is a good 15-20 minute drive from my apartment.  What is the deal with everyone dropping they're fabric selections? It bums me out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008 04:30:23 PM »

I dislike that they don't sell my corked glass bottles anymore. wth? I had to go to michaels and they only had 6, I needed 15, and I have no idea when they will get more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
plumpossum
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 11:32:37 AM »

My Hobby Lobby has been cutting down on fabrics for years now.  Ours tends to sell a lot of ready-to-finish or already finished furniture (it's a huge store).  There's also a good sized home decor, fine art, and framing section.  Ours gets very little business because of the location (on a painfully busy road, flanked by several other stores with similar products) and I'm always afraid that they're going to close  Cry  Hobby Lobby is my favorite craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008 08:19:30 AM »

I thought it was just my imagination that the fabric stock was getting smaller. Looks like I'm not crazy after all! That's really too bad. My town has an abundance of craft stores (HL, Michaels, Hancock, Joann) plus some small independent ones so the lack of fabric doesn't affect me too much, but I feel really bad for the people it is affecting. Good fabric is hard to find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lefty33
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008 07:01:40 AM »

I went there recently for fabric and the fabric section was maybe half full.  I was very disappointed.  That leaves only ONE fabric store in town with any selection at all.  Sad 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A triumph of pure reason, or else a disaster of abstract thought.  You never can tell which will be which until you try."  Adam Gopnik, The King in the Window
okittykat
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008 05:53:36 PM »

I have noticed the lack of fabrics offered at Hobby Lobby too.  I live in Frisco, TX and there is one about to open right near my home.  I'm curious if they are going to even have fabric.  There is a Joann's not too far down the road so i'm not that bad off.

I will say that the new Super Walmarts they are building around my area don't even have fabric anymore.  It is my understanding that they are getting away from it.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008 08:33:31 PM »

I have noticed the lack of fabrics offered at Hobby Lobby too.  I live in Frisco, TX and there is one about to open right near my home.  I'm curious if they are going to even have fabric.  There is a Joann's not too far down the road so i'm not that bad off.

I will say that the new Super Walmarts they are building around my area don't even have fabric anymore.  It is my understanding that they are getting away from it.  Shocked

Where in Frisco is the new one?  (Just in case the 2 in Plano and 1 in Allen aren't enough...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
okittykat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008 06:22:59 PM »

It's at Preston and Lebanon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get An Updated Modern Ponytail
Top 4 Best Clip in Hair Extensions
Sleek, Elegant Chignons at the Dennis Basso NYFW Fall 2014 Show
The Trick to Getting Rocker-Chic Waves
How to Create Slicked Back Red Carpet Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...