A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 47 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duct Tape Rose Bouquet with Tutorial!  (Read 30365 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bouquet , duct_tape_crafts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2007 09:53:19 AM »

As promise, I got boyfriend to do a tutorial for the lovely duct tape roses he made me for our anniversary, as seen here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=161856.0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/235/445280484_8f530ca82d.jpg
Here it goes...

First thing first, you're definitely going to need duct tape. I find that the "Duck" brand of duct tape works the best.
You'll also need
-Floral wire
-Wire cutters (to cut the wire)
-Scissors, or a razor blade and cutting mat

First thing you do is to get your floral wire. Unroll as much as you want, or if you get the precut stuff...well, thats how long  your stem is going to be. Just remember that the longer that the stem is, the harder it is to stand the rose up.

Next, take a piece of tape about 1" - 1 1/2" long and fold the top left corner down to the bottom right side, making sure to leave adhesive on the right side.

Then take the right side and fold it to the left side, making a triangle with adhesive left on the bottom.

Take that piece and fold either end over the tip of the wire, it depends on whether you're left or right-handed. Do it whichever way you're comfortable.

Now the key to making the center is to wrap the tape tightly. If the middle gets crinkled up, don't worry about it. You can take a pencil and push the crinkles out later.

To start making the individual petals of the rose, repeat the steps to make the first petal. Line up the second petal of the rose in the middle of the one you've used for the center. the tip of the new petal should be close to the same height and and close to center with the first petal. when you feel comfortable with the alignment, wrap that petal around the first one.

For every petal after that, point the tip of the petal in the direction you're wrapping. The corner that ends up on the top of the side of the petal should be lined up with the top tip of the previous petal. Wrapping petals in this fashion allow the rose to open up and look beautiful

Repeat this step over and over and over and over and over until you reach the desired size of the rose head. Just remember, a long stem with a big head wont stand up on its own at all!!!

Now its time to make your stem. Most sane people will use green tape, you know, to simulate a real rose but you can use any colour you like. <--Name the band and you're a winner!

Take your tape and pull off a long strip, it should be about as long as your stem. Rip it off, then take either scissors or a razor and a cutting mat and cut that entire strip in half. I find that the razor works better, and much faster, for those clutch situations.

starting at the base of the head, angle the tape at about a 45 degree angle and wrap it tightly downward, the tape will overlap and form creases, but that gives the stem character. If you have extra wire at the end when you run out of tape to wrap, chop it off and you have made your self a duct tape rose!

If you feel like experimenting further, try adding leaves or thorns to your stems.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011 03:06:39 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007 03:34:07 PM »

Those are beautiful.  Smiley Thank you for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
expressmail

Addicted to knitting, but won't share used needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007 04:08:26 PM »

i love them, what a great boyfriend you have! thanks for putting up the tutorial  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't you hate it when people fill up their signature with random junk you could care less about reading but when you see how long it is you figure it has to be important so you keep reading but it's not worth your time and you just wasted a whole minute reading absolutely nothing at all? I do.
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007 07:37:24 AM »

PINK FLOYD PINK FLOYD what do I win??? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007 06:09:55 PM »

Those are too neat, what a nice bf you have. There's nothing that says love like duct tape. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

konjio_pow
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007 07:41:34 PM »

yaaaaay tutorial thank you and seth for the tutorial, maybe i'll make a bouquet for my mom for mother's day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeHa
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007 01:23:36 AM »

rad! i know what i will be asking for an upcoming half-iversary...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
123shopaholic
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007 08:31:48 PM »

WOW that is soo awsome! i am totally gonna make a bunch for my dorm decoration!and it's perfect for gifts too! where did you find the pink coloured duct tape? would you find it at Rona or Canadian Tire or Home Depot?or Staples? haha i really want to the pink tape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007 02:04:29 PM »

shopaholic: I have no idea what Rona or Canadian Tire is.... we don't have those in New Jersey (maybe i'll see some on my trip to Canada this summer. Yay Canada!). We got it at Lowes (same as Home Depot). Staples has it too. Walmart has the best selection yet, but I'm not sure if they have those up by you guys.

Cute story: Seth the bf is color blind. He could only tell the colors of the tape by asking the Home Depot employees.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
sin esperanza
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007 08:36:02 PM »

those are amazing!  i'm going to make some as well.  thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
Thrift Shop Romantic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007 05:49:53 AM »

This is so awesome-- thank you for the tutorial. I really want to try to do this. They're beautiful and you'd never imagine they were tape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007 08:08:56 AM »

Thanks for all the great comments! I do have one suggestion- if you decide to try it yourself, use a thicker gauge wire- the flower heads are heavy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007 08:16:12 AM »

I must say your roses are prettier than mine!  The problem I usually have with my duct tape roses is that after a while they tend to fall apart...have you had that problem as well?  The only way I've figured out to solve it is to wire the whole thing together, like I did here:http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=112780.msg1076811#msg1076811
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007 08:16:46 AM by Haylie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
nika74
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007 03:53:14 PM »

thanx for the tut. i love iti have a whole tower of different colors of duct tape so i made a rose with lime green and black duct tape it looks sooo freaking awesome. im decorating my room with lime green and black so its perfect THANX THANX THANX!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007 05:58:30 PM »

thanx for the tut. i love iti have a whole tower of different colors of duct tape so i made a rose with lime green and black duct tape it looks sooo freaking awesome. im decorating my room with lime green and black so its perfect THANX THANX THANX!!!

nika: that sounds really awesome. Can you post a pict?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeatDazzzler
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007 12:44:34 PM »

These are so rad but I can't figure out how to make them look like flowers.  Mine end up looking like a massive silver funnel.  Maybe I'm making the tape too long?  AGH!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know you're afraid and scared of the unknown, but seek my tender rhythm of justice, and you won't be alone.  Join me now as my peeps be true, drink from my goblet of beatbox brew.
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007 04:29:38 PM »

Perhaps the tape is too long? Otherwise, try arranging the petals so they are spread evenly across the rose, not vertically up. Kinda hard to explain- it takes a lot of playing around with to get right. Anyone else have any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xashiex
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007 12:17:28 AM »

this is great! thanks for the tute crafty bf are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatzudoin
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007 12:47:16 PM »

Oh I tried this for the first time! The tuutorial was actually something easy I could understand. Smiley I didn't do the wire. Since it was a test I just wrapped it around theeraser on my pencil. Now I need to go out to buy different colors and sit down to make a bouquet of flowers. Thanks for the tutorial! I'm sure I'm not the last to say that though lol. The picture is as follows...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007 02:10:09 PM by whatzudoin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do personal swaps if anyones interested. If your interested please write me!
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007 12:43:57 PM »

whatzudoin: I love the blue! Arent blue roses symbolic of friendship? Use heavy wire if you decide to go that way. Seth (the bf) used 24 gauge floral wire- which made the roses kinda floppy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatzudoin
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007 03:54:48 PM »

whatzudoin: I love the blue! Arent blue roses symbolic of friendship? Use heavy wire if you decide to go that way. Seth (the bf) used 24 gauge floral wire- which made the roses kinda floppy.

Haha I don't know what it's symbolic of it's just my fav color. So how to you make them seem more open? That's where I had little problem as you can tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do personal swaps if anyones interested. If your interested please write me!
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007 08:58:58 PM »

whatzudoin: try making your squares of tape smaller, and use more petals. Honestly, I didn't make them, so i dont know exactly what his tricks are. But I watched him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinksparklystars

Muffin <3 Pumpkin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007 07:41:13 AM »

Thanks for the tutorials, i had seen your room on another thread and thought those roses were so cute! For sure going to use them in my decor for my new apartment  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatzudoin
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007 08:08:16 PM »

Ok I kept trying and this is what I camee up with lol. I hope you like it. The tutorial was awesome! I just kept adding that was the problem with it. Smiley It's my new craft thing for my room and it's addicting lol.

Below is the hidden one in the picture...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007 08:09:28 PM by whatzudoin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2007 05:25:18 PM »

whatzudoin:I love your roses! The multicolored petals are awesome- I think I will have to try that next! Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatzudoin
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2007 05:29:38 PM »

whatzudoin:I love your roses! The multicolored petals are awesome- I think I will have to try that next! Great Job!

Thanks.. HAHA see my problem now is it's so cool it's addicting. I made a bunch for my room and I sent one to my friend for his birthday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artist.nerd.musiclover
wanna-be graphic designer

"Peace, love, and math!" ~David Krumholtz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008 06:49:21 PM »

Hmmm.  I might make these for my psych teacher and Latin teacher (they're getting married on Saturday).   Grin

Now to find a ride to Home Depot... DAAAAAAAAAD!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008 01:10:32 PM »

Thanks so much for the awesome tute!

My husband had the evil idea of wrapping my brother's birthday gift in 60 yards of duct tape. We then wrapped it like normal and I added a rose for the top as a "clue". All we have here is the silver kind but I'm happy with how it looks. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008 07:42:16 PM »

SkyyAngel- I busted out laughing when I read that. What an amazingly evil idea! I will do this to someone this Christmas.

You know what would be better? To put the present in multiple boxes, and wrap a few completely in duct tape. Or maybe something else inbetween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008 03:55:11 AM »

Oh he was also going to wrap up a layer in 550 cord (parachute cord) that he'd have to unwind or cut through as well as the 100 MPH tape (duct tape but cannot be torn, you have to cut it) in another layer but we couldn't find his stuff. Smiley I at least insisted on using the whole roll of duct tape, DH wasn't going to do that at first, but I insisted that I wanted the package to be "squishy" it had so much tape on it.

As we were wrapping I also came up with the idea of a layer of pennies or washers or something metal that you couldn't cut through and would have to stop and remove a bunch to get through the rest. Couldn't do that though since we have to mail my brother his package and if they decide to x-ray it and can't see through it... well, I'd rather not have the bomb squad involved on my brother's birthday, LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008 10:21:11 AM »

Very cool!
I was quite pleasantly surprised to find the duct tape roses being very pretty.
Nice boyfriend of yours to show us how!
Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
oldprin
oldprin

Brian and I with the magic snowman

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008 02:33:03 AM »

Shocked Wow! Those are way cool! Does he know how to make a duct tape wallet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oldprin
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008 07:54:06 PM »

Onecraftybean: Nice ex-boyfriend. And actually, he turned out to be a very not-so-nice person. But thats another story.

OldPrin: I have made duct tape wallets in the past, but I carry so many cards, it became a hassle because duct tape residue always found its way onto my cards. And they didnt last very long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePrettyThing

oneprettything.com

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008 03:04:55 PM »

That is SO sweet and so thoughtful! you have yourself a keeper! I'm totally linking to this tutorial in the Daily DIY as well as bugging my bf for not being creative! ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Olivia Wilde Supplies Colorful Spring-Dress Inspiration
2013 MTV Movie Awards Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Kristen Stewart
Beyoncé Nails the Island-Style Look in Cuba
Featured Blogger: Annabelle Fleur of Viva Luxury
The Pencil Skirt: An Office Staple is Reborn
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...