A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 305,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt-a-long!  (Read 20246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superstitch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007 11:01:05 AM »

ooh i cant use anything but cotton batting any more.. its so nice and flat and drapey and all that other good stuff, and i love the way it shrinks a little and makes the quilts look lived in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007 10:34:27 AM »

Can total newbies join your quilt-a-long?  I am going to be a grandma this summer and I want to make some quilts for the baby.  I can sew pretty well but I've never made anything like a quilt.  I will be a very young grandma and my daughter is a total rocker/hippie chick so I want to make a rockin baby quilt.  You think ya'll can guide me through this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007 11:00:16 AM »

I need to get in on this. I am starting three baby quilts this weekend, one will be a rag quilt, one a jar quilt and the third will probably be a log cabin. Than I have the squares from last years quilt block along that I need to get into a quilt for my son, some redwork squares that I need to put together for my mom and a grandmothers flower garden that I am doing all by hand out of fairy frost fabric for me. And that's just the start of my list!!!

I am also now a big fan of the cotton batting. No more poly for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

berol
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007 05:27:03 PM »

Can total newbies join your quilt-a-long?  I am going to be a grandma this summer and I want to make some quilts for the baby.  I can sew pretty well but I've never made anything like a quilt.  I will be a very young grandma and my daughter is a total rocker/hippie chick so I want to make a rockin baby quilt.  You think ya'll can guide me through this?

I should think so! Other than the english quilting where the template is sewn to the fabric this will be my first proper quilt, my first on a machine and my first at applique. I'm sure you'll find lots of help Smiley

Going back to grid rulers, I could only find one in inches-which would have been fine except I'd already started in cm and didn't really want to change. Grr.

I've already planned my next quilt (with this one barely started) as I really want to try Hawaiian Applique
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
superstitch

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007 07:12:45 PM »

i forgot about my most favorite quilt that i'm working on. I'm using heather bailey's free quilt pattern from the free spirit website http://www.freespiritfabric.com/core-pages/gallery.php?gal_id=108 This is definitely going to be the most time consuming quilt i've ever made. Each strip has to be cut a different width and length... but it looks so good! I actually have 2 blocks done but i only have a picture of the first one. I'm using mostly heather bailey's fabric and some denyse schmidt and some random ones that matched.

and the blog entry  http://superstitch.typepad.com/superstitch/quilts/index.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007 07:16:46 PM by superstitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
shannon1981
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007 08:09:43 PM »

Superstitch, I love those fabrics!!  That quilt will be gorgeous.

Here are pics of mine in progress.

The part that's actually put together is just the middle panels with the 2 borders.  I laid the rest out so you could kind of get an idea of what it will look like.  I'll also be hand appliqueing bamboo leaves on the dark blue part.

And here are the rough diagrams of what the finished quilt will look like.

I actually started a little bit of piecing this afternoon, but then my sewing machine started acting up.  Hopefully I can get it to behave tonight after the kids go to bed and I can cuss at it freely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007 10:18:33 PM »

I'd love to do a jar quilt too someday, I think they are so cute Smiley

Superstitch, A-MAZING, I have all those fabrics, you have such good taste, ahah Wink It's going to look fantastic...off to have a peek at that pattern...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007 10:36:29 PM »

i'm so addicted to heather bailey's new fabrics, i bought a half yard of almost all of them and then had to sit down and decide what to do with them and then when i found her quilt pattern it was meant to be! When i showed my sister the quilt pattern the first thing she said was "you're leaving off the ruffle right?" ...... are you kidding, what better for a florally girly delicious quilt than a ruffle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
emisaurus
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007 11:34:48 PM »

my "in progress" quilt
consists of 50 some odd pictures
first time punch embroidery
and winnie the pooh...
my best friend is graduating high school and moving way down the state
(right now we live near sac, and shes heading off to san diego in the fall)
and she will take me with her...
50 some odd pictures of me to sleep with.
haa haa....
and im having a terrible time with the embroidery.
i think i may scrap that idea and figure out another way to write on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ISO: 6 1/2"ish blocks of misc disney fabrics for "i spy" quilt Smiley
blog!  facebook! 
instagram!pinterest![/ur
Becca-poo
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007 09:10:28 AM »

I haven't tried this, but I've heard that putting a small piece of fine-grain sandpaper between your template/ruler/whatever and the fabric will keep it from slipping.  You could also put a piece between the fabric and the cutting surface. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
These 10 Basic Eye Makeup Styles Will Give You Life
Narciso Rodriguez - Spring/Summer 2016 - NYFW - Backstage, Runway & Interviews - Videofashion Collections
Kate Winslet Bans Photoshop
Beauty Tips To Help You Transition From Summer To Fall
Kylie Jenner Is Officially Sick Of Her Big Lips
Latest Blog Articles
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...