A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt-a-long!  (Read 13896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2007 07:55:52 PM »

Great job emlee_bee - you make awesome quilts for your VERY luck friends Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2007 09:43:20 PM »

Great job emlee_bee - you make awesome quilts for your VERY luck friends Smiley Smiley Smiley

thanks!
so far only the boyfriend and best friend have been important enough to get quilts Tongue
and they are oh so fun to make though!

my mom's sewing machines do take a beating from me though Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caecilia42
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2007 07:47:13 PM »

You're so generous with your time! I've knit socks, scarves and hats for a few people, but I can't imagine all the time you spent on that quilt...

It has been a bad weekend here (this is literally the view from my apartment, but luckily I was at the office on Saturday), so I spent some time working on quilts to keep occupied. I should have been doing my real work, but couldn't concentrate.

Here's my finished top with border: though i'll be hanging it with the zigzags going side to side.

I also pin-basted my little windowsill quilt, and add batting after all, since I had leftovers after cutting the batting for the big quilt. While I wait for my walking foot and clear thread to arrive, I've started cutting pieces for my next quilt - My Blue Heaven at quilterscache.com.  The blocks finish at 12"x12", so they seem huge after my 1" squares.  Oh, the finished top is based on the scrappy bargello at www.quiltville.com, though I fiddled with the math to fit the scrap fabric I had available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thrillme
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2007 07:49:06 PM »

Caecilia42 - that is RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME!!!!! I can't even imagine having enough patience to cut and piece all of those tiny pieces!  Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caecilia42
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2007 05:02:03 AM »

Thanks, but it's actually done in strips, 1.5" x 12". You sew all the strips together (56 in my case), then cut the set into 1.5" wide vertical strips, now made up of 1.5" x 1.5" squares. You pull apart each vertical strip one block above or below where you pulled apart the previous, and sew the now-offset vertical strips together. I made 6 panels of 8 steps. Here's the tutorial at quiltville.com that I used. She has in-process pictures that might make more sense than my explanation.

So I only worked with tiny squares when I screwed up (started cutting one strip set at only 1" wide, so I had to replace all the miscut squares).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007 05:05:47 AM by Caecilia42 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2007 08:18:45 AM »

Is it just me or has it been super quiet on the quilting board lately??  Anyone have some sewing to share...I'm so bored without the quilting board!  Oh that rhymes kind of.

I am making my l'il brother a t-shirt quilt.  It is 50"x64" so far and I can't decide if I should put a border on it or not...  Although he is MY little brother, he is actually quite big (six feet three inches) so maybe even for a throw quilt it should be a little bigger?  But I HATE doing borders...mweh.

K now I want to know what you guys are doing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
rainylakechick
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2007 08:40:34 AM »

LibbyK, I think a border would look nice with this quilt.  What are you doing for binding?  Either the border could be the same plaid as the non-tshirt material in the quilt, or you could use something that compliments it.  Or were you going to use the plaid material for binding? 

Take it from someone sort of tall (I am 5'Cool: I would recommend making the lap quilt a little bigger than too short.  I hate having too-small blankets when my feet are cold!!

As for my quilting progress, I have a top I am working on...  Just need to add the border and then I'm finished!  Err, well, finished with the top.  Then I can add the back, filling, and then bind and quilt it.  Smiley 

I'm also taking a paper piecing class this Sunday.  I can't wait!  I'm going to use the class to put together a Christmas table runner, which will be a gift for my mom this year.  Hooray for early Christmas gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2007 09:50:59 AM »

I definitely think a border would look great on your quilt, LibbyK! Smiley

I am thinking of using up some of my stash (STILL trying to do some stash busting!) and making a really funky quilt. I printed out some ideas the other day- like a yo-yo quilt or the chinese coins kind... I like them because I can really make use of all of my fabrics instead of pairing up colors and designs!
Maybe joining this will get me motivated to start! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2007 02:30:26 PM »

My machine has been broken so I borrowed SILs but it doesn't have a walking foot or quarter inch seam so I have been doing normal sewing but no quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Butterfly
How to Crochet a Pansy Flower
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 2/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Granny Squares
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 1/5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...