A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,590
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baby quilt size  (Read 964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ranchelmarie
« on: June 06, 2007 05:05:18 AM »

So I've made a couple baby quilts before, but didn't really pay attention to what size I made them, just picked a pattern (one large log cabin square) and went with it. So my question is, what does everyone think the best size for a baby and/or toddler quilt is? I've seen everything from 30x30" to 45x60".
I'm thinking a nice 40x40" ish square woud be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007 02:07:25 PM »

40 x 40 is probably a good size, but really you can get away with a wide range.  Babies are pretty tiny when first born and need little car-seat sized blankets, which then can become blankies they just carry around.  Something around 36x45 is convenient because you can just buy a yard of standard 45" width fabric for the backing.

I'm making a toddler quilt that's 40"x56", and I think that's a nice transitional size between a baby-blanket and a twin-sized bed blanket, should be good for napping, and it will take a few years for the child to outgrow it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SweetMemoriesQuilts
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007 10:07:40 AM »

I do my baby quilts 36" x 48" which is equivalent to a standard crib sized comforter. It's great because it's big enough to transition to a toddler bed, but small enough to be used as a throw.

Crib Mattress 28" x 52"
Standard Crib Comforter Width anywhere from 28" to 36"
Standard Crib Comforter Length anywhere 46" to 52"

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007 06:02:48 AM by jMi - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster Guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007 07:35:07 PM »

I prefered 45" by 36" ones...  They seemed better to wrap up the baby in and were wide enough to to reach side to side and head to toe if you were covering them up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
thismomsews
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007 07:46:12 PM »

It depends on what it will be used for really.  If it is just to cuddle in it can be on the small end.  If it is a floor quilt for playing on, I make them big 45" x 60".  I am working on a crib quilt right now that is 40" x 52".  It fits so nicely on my sons bed.  (it is a convertible crib-you take the front of the crib off to make it like a daybed and it still uses the crib mattress.  He is almost 3 and just started using a blanket in the bed.) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mini_Grey
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007 05:16:14 AM »

I'm like you RanchelMarie, sewn a few baby quilts with no regard for the size! LOL But personally I prefer a rectangle sized quilt that a square one. Good for sleeping under in the cot, in the pram, in the car etc. Just a more practical size, just IMO though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilly
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007 03:28:09 PM »

I think square quilts make nice floor quilts for playing on, while a rectangular blanket around 40 X 50 is a nice size that will last them a long time for wrapping baby up in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vickyvicvicvic
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007 06:12:35 AM »

Bump this thread back up while I have a question too Wink

Im making one just now and I cut out all the pieces to fit it together to get a sense of size.  currently it is 150sm by about 91 (5ft by 3ft) but that seems huge for a little baby.  It would probably do her until she was a teenager and then some.  Do you guy think I should make it smaller - say 4 ft by 3 ft instead (the bonus there being that it would make my pattern look les stretched out!)?
ANy help appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Man Magnet Oil Perfume
See the Emerald Collection from Sephora and Pantone
How to Get Bold Lashes: #THIS. W/ Elizabeth Holmes
Pro Tips For Shallow, Hooded Or Monolid Eye Makeup
Fashion 2.0 Award Attendees on the Worst Fashion Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...