A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: winding yarn - making a skein w/out tools?  (Read 1201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 07, 2007 04:39:24 PM »

I was wondering if there's a way to make a new ...hank is it called? of my yarn without going and buying a skein winder or a niddy noddy? Whenever I look up winding yarn it only comes up with winding hanks into balls. Tutorials anywhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007 04:44:32 PM »

You can just wind your yarn around the back of a chair or something similiar to make a skein. Have you set the twist in your yarn yet? I would suggest doing that after you wind your skein. Just get some scrap yarn and tie a few knots around the skein to keep it all straight and then set the twist. I won't go into how to do that b/c I know if you look that up on here you will find some info on how to do that. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007 04:48:59 PM »

You can just wind your yarn around the back of a chair or something similiar to make a skein. Have you set the twist in your yarn yet? I would suggest doing that after you wind your skein. Just get some scrap yarn and tie a few knots around the skein to keep it all straight and then set the twist. I won't go into how to do that b/c I know if you look that up on here you will find some info on how to do that. Good luck!

Yeah...I already set the twist...last night. I just checked it and discovered it was dry. I figured you had to do that before making a skein. oops. Thanks though....I'll try the chair tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007 07:14:12 PM »

ITA w/ fiber angel. Before I had a niddy-noddy I just used the back of a wooden dining chair. Measure around the chair and you'll have  your yardage as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007 04:26:00 PM »

Okay...lol so I'm sure whatever I'm not doing is really simple but it's just not coming to me.....I wrapped my yarn around the back of the chair and calculated my yardage, tied a couple pieces of yarn around what's around the chair top to keep it together....but how do you turn it or whatnot to get it all nice and tight and twisted into the hank?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5074849    that one
or...
http://www.yarnwench.com/php/ItemShow1.php?InvNum=1331    this one

I don't mine either one (although I prefer the way the first link's yarn is...up and down) ....lol so what's the step I'm missing to turn my yarn into those?

Smiley Wink Lips sealed (and some bunnies because I just think they're cuties lol  Cry Kiss )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007 04:58:47 PM »

I put a hand in each side of your loop and just twist and twist until it's tight. Then put both of your hands together and your skein twists naturally together. After slip one of your hand loops through the other. HTH Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyd

warning: do not eat your fortune.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007 07:13:27 PM »

Hey Mistress_batty!

I make my skeins using a niddy noddy I made...  I ADORE this niddy noddy, and I'll let you in on my secret! 

Using three pieces of wood, or plastic, or whatever is straight  Grin and hold one in the middle of the other two.  Twist the first to the left 45 degrees and the bottom to the right 45 degrees.  Then... this is the special part...  duct tape it all together!!  I know it sounds silly, but it stays together and is all pretty!  If the duct tape gets those sticky edges you can cover it all with masking tape, because it's less sticky.

Wrap your yarn and then put your thumbs in each end and twist.  Just like ivycircle says!  It's that easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007 07:25:52 PM »

Hey Mistress_batty!

I make my skeins using a niddy noddy I made...  I ADORE this niddy noddy, and I'll let you in on my secret! 

Using three pieces of wood, or plastic, or whatever is straight  Grin and hold one in the middle of the other two.  Twist the first to the left 45 degrees and the bottom to the right 45 degrees.  Then... this is the special part...  duct tape it all together!!  I know it sounds silly, but it stays together and is all pretty!  If the duct tape gets those sticky edges you can cover it all with masking tape, because it's less sticky.

Wrap your yarn and then put your thumbs in each end and twist.  Just like ivycircle says!  It's that easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!!

ooo by any chance do you have a picture of it? lol I'm a visual person. Thanks for the tip...this week I think I'll look for stuff to make it. I have duct tape here on my desk so I'm almost there...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raynbow
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007 07:09:17 AM »

Even if you have a niddy noddy, when you get done you won't have a "skein".  It'll be just like what you get when you wrap it around the back of the chair, a big loop of yarn.

The last part is a manual process, like ivycircle described. 

Take one end of the skein-to-be in each hand and twist it til it's twisted as tight as you can.  Then bring the two ends together, and it should twist in on itself.  Then tuck one end through the loop in the other end, and that's what holds it together into the skein shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007 05:05:43 PM »

i use either a chair or my arm:  i start at the crook between my thumb and forefinger, wind below my elbow and around and around.  By this time i have a pretty good idea of just how long that distance is!  that said, i do hope to have a niddy-noddy soon. 

here is a link for making your own from pvc.  i do plan to try this:  looks pretty straightforward and cheap:

http://www.doctordirt.com/blog/niddy.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 New Ways to Style a Striped Sweater
Get The Kate Middleton Style
Street Style Standouts
Must Have Boots For Fall
Threads | T.I. Talks Clothing Line Akoo and Introduces Woman Line
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...