A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seam ripping technique a.k.a. proof I married the right guy  (Read 13197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mayerlove
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2005 01:20:32 PM »

holy crap i've been doing this wrong for a long time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Talon
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2005 08:52:21 PM »

I fee enlightened now.  Thanks medea!   Cheesy

and here is another model that looks like a torture device:
http://columbiariverquilting.com/squizzers_spring_action_seam_ripper.html

"Seam squizzers" has got to be the coolest phrase in existence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2005 09:15:05 PM »

I gave up on seam rippers years ago after too many in the fingers or under the nails or in my leg!   Roll Eyes
Go to the hardware store(or craft) and buy those razor blades with a safety side. Lay your fabric flat and lightly pull the razor blade against the edge of the seam.. I found it helps a lot to put one edge under your presser foot and the needle in the seam. This way you can pull it tight and lay the blade edge between the two layers and lightly pull towards you. Then adjust your needle in the seam again and pull lightly. The has worked great for me for ten years now and there's no going back to stabbing myself with a point! unless you count the scissors I dropped on my foot! Huh
It does take a little practice to do this without cutting into your fabric  but I admit I've had many many many reasons to practice! Tongue  Why do it once when you can do it three times or more? Ohhh right - for the practice!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2005 07:14:40 PM »

wow! no place like craftster can make you feel good about doing something so easy as using a seam ripper the wrong way.
because i admit. i too have been using it wrong all my life. man. Lips sealed Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Superchica

Keeping you Chic & Unique

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2005 11:21:55 AM »

I recently made this discovery myself, so don't feel bad.  I've been sewing for years and years and always hated ripping out seams.  Now I know how it's supposed to be!!!  GEEZ LOUISE Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elleshellmo
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005 11:22:32 PM »

I'm sorry, but this whole topic annoys me to no end.
I find seam rippers to be excedingly easy to use.  How do you insert a little ball into a stich?  Why would they make it such a big ball if it were meant to fit in a stich?  It doesn't make the least bit of sense.  Everything I have found online says you insert the pointed end.  Maybe those having trouble are trying to yank the thread out rather than cut it.  The blade part at the bottom is there for a reason.  You  hold the blade with the flat part running parallel to the fabric, insert the pointy part until you reach the blade at the bottom and cut the thread.  You can then yank out a couple of stiches up.  I assume the ball is there to keep you from nicking yourself with the blade at the bottom of the U shape, which is very sharp.  Perhaps this method works better for holey, loose fabrics like chiffon, that doesn't mean that it's the right way to remove all seams.

Did any of you even try this new method before you blindly decided you and thousands of others have been wrong all of your lives?  And there is no right way or wrong way to use something like this.  I'm sure there are many different methods that work for many different people, so if you can remove a seam the way you always have, why change?

aaaaargh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlagurl
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2005 02:39:59 AM »

Sorry for ANNOYING you, but it IS SO FAST I don't know why I did it any other way and I was EXCITED so I made this thread....wow I didn't know something so mundane could annoy anyone, use the seam ripper however you damn well please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
estilosa
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2005 02:00:50 PM »

Well, I for one thank you Starlagurl. I'm going home to try this today and see if it works. I have the sneaking suspicion that the ball end will work fabulously fast for pulling apart seams...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Sara
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2005 02:04:18 PM »

I'm officially a dumbass... I've been doing it wrong too.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monamant
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2005 11:57:18 AM »

WOWWW
::smacks self::

my fashion teacher uses it wrong too then. haha we're so silly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Bea from Fish Hooks
How to Draw Oscar from Fish Hooks
How to Draw Peter Griffin from Family Guy
How to Draw the Incredible Hulk
How to Draw Tweety Bird
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...