A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,348
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seam ripping technique a.k.a. proof I married the right guy  (Read 14832 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlfriday

I'm NOT a monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004 12:16:05 PM »

Okay I've been taught to use the longer side (the side without the ball) to rip stitches. I've done this for years and so have all the women in my family (dating back at least as far as my grandma, who was a seamstress). Anyway, if you google seam ripper instructions, you'll find that the ball side in fact does not go in the seam. I suppose you could do it but I don't think it's the correct way, per se.

Whatever works best for you I suppose.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is love? As far as I can tell, it is passion, admiration and respect. If you have two, you have enough. If you have all three, you don't have to die to go to heaven."
William Wharton
flyinpurplemunkiez
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2004 03:02:46 PM »

Okay, so what is the ball for then? I'd like to make a sigh of relief now because for aminture there I was thinking I had been doing it wrong for years. Aperantly I've been doing it right after all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homegirleh

this is not a llamatization!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2004 03:28:11 PM »

I think the ball, like someone said, is to keep you from hitting yourself with that end? I dont know. It might work both ways Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckyme60127
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2004 04:04:29 PM »

ok wait i'm confused, would the ball even stop the seam ripper from stabbing you w/ the other end bcuz isn't the other end longer? I actually stabbed myself in the hand w/ the other end yesterday and it hurt like no other, now i have a bruise and a cut from it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2004 04:23:53 PM »

I recently found out that I was using the seam ripper "wrong," but not in the "ball v. pointy end" way. I was using the pointy end (which works for me). But what I was doing was sort of pulling the two pieces of fabric apart and ripping between them (sometimes also ripping holes in the fabric in the process).

What I learned was to "rip" (or cut) every three stitches on "top" of the fabric... and then pull the thread off of the back and all the little ripped pieces on top get brushed off. I even use very sharp tiny scissors for this now.

I went to the Clover website, and they have a picture of this:

I'm not sure how you would get the ball end under the thread, if the thread was sewn tightly.

Perhaps the differing ends are for differing ripping styles? Ball end for the "pull apart two pieces of fabric" method (which may cause less fabric tearing) and pointy end for the "clip every 3rd thread" method? This, of course, is just my .02 -- use it however it works for ya!

Here's the direct link to the pic on the Clover site:
http://www.clover.co.jp/pw&q/picture/020-482.gif
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
SarahFroggy
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004 04:47:03 PM »

i'm agreeing with you kaesea cause i just sewed two pieces of scrap together to try it out. the ball way has gotta be for the pull apart way. it does work a bit better. but the pointy end is for the top way. which is what i do. it saves a lot of time. and being a quilter i am always taking stuff apart Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2004 07:47:51 PM »

OK... I must be dumb, because I have been using the seam ripper wrong MY WHOLE LIFE.
It took me FOREVER to rip out seams because I wasn't putting the ball part of the seam ripper INSIDE the seam, I was putting the pointy part inside the seam and the ball part was on top....

My husband just taught me that the ball end should be inside the seam and it goes SO MUCH FASTER!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ahahahahahahaha what a dumbass I am!

So I am posting this in the hopes that anyone who is using the seam ripper wrong will get it right before they waste thousands and thousands of minutes ripping seams BACKWARDS

The ball part?!?!?!?!
But the pointy end is so...Pointy!
You are NOT a dumbass, cause that would make me a dumbass & I'm not feeling that today:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2004 08:20:51 PM »

HOLY CRAP! are you kidding me? haha, wow, that makes sense, I hate it when you (using it the wrong way of course) accidentally poke through the fabric while rippins seams and end up ripping fabric as well......well I feel dumb..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2004 08:28:25 PM »

And all this time i thought the seam ripper was wrong...  Wink
this one project i did, the last seam needed ripping and i destroyed part of the fabric! it was very very annoying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
bluegum

Deranged Speed Knitting

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2004 08:17:17 AM »

Wow I wish that I had known this earlier it would have made things a lot easier
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if i could be anything i'd be your tear/because i was born in your eye/lived in you cheek/and died on your lip
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Sumo Wrestling
How to Draw Panini Cartoon
How to Draw Lelouch from the Code Geass
How to Draw Mater from the Movie Cars
How to Draw Michael Jackson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...