A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Liscense Plates  (Read 5068 times)
Tags for this thread: license_plate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AliaMcHugh
« on: January 02, 2004 03:36:22 PM »

I recently moved from Washington to Idaho and need to get my Washington plates replaced with Idaho ones this week. My Washington plates I want to keep because they're of sentimental value to me but I don't want them just sitting in my closet in a box. Any ideas??

-Alia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shaeon

"Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004 06:07:26 PM »

The most obvious suggestion is to hang it on the wall, but license plates on the wall do tend to remind one of a truck stop.  

I have seen license plate handbags, and checked this out on the web.  There's this place that will make one for you, at http://www.isabellagrape.com/Custom%20License%20Plate%20Items.htm.  I didn't see any how to sites that tell you how to make these, but the same site that will make them for you has license plate back packs at http://www.isabellagrape.com/License%20Plate%20Handbags.htm, which appear to just be a back pack with a slightly curved license plate attached to it.  That wouldn't be too hard to do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004 06:43:36 PM »

I've heard of using road signs to make tables on this site...you could possibly make little end tables or tv trays with your plates.  Just attach to a tv tray or find a small bottom for a leg and perhaps get a piece of glass cut to place ontop.  You could also drill holes into them, or maybe use the holes already there for that matter, to make a folder, scrapbook or journal.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004 06:58:14 PM »

i so love the journal

http://www.littlearth.com/

p.s. how cute is the "handlebar brush"?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
jenthezero
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004 09:29:42 AM »

Mine are hanging on my wall.  But since I'm redecorating my room, I'm thinking of doing something else with them...I've seen license plate journals, but making one would require some power tools.

A one-inch (or so) strip is cut from the center of the plate, and used to bind the book.  Rings are attached to this strip, the other two pieces are attached as the front and back covers, and the book is filled with paper.  It's cool, but I don't have the tools to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My middle name is Martha!
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004 08:34:58 PM »

I saw While You Were Out the other day (on TLC) and the made a really cool memo board frame out of a bunch of licence plates...they were trying to re-create the look of a fifties diner and the nailed them all on hap-hazardly in different directions and it looked really good. You only have two tho....maybe you could make a memo board that's frame looks like a road...put one on the top and one on the bottom...and put little modle cars on the frame on the two other sides...i saw something similar. anyways, hope I inspired some of you crafty people, lol. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004 11:18:09 PM »

This might not be interesting to you, but my aunt makes these amazing birdhouses!

Its just a little wooden box painted, with a small hole in it for the birds. and then two old license plates as a roof (you know like slanted ---> /\ )
and then she uses a spark plug as a perch!

they are so cute! she sold them at a craft fair and they were gone in seconds!
(she also made them out of old cowboy boots and bandana's! creative!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AliaMcHugh
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004 11:38:45 PM »

I just wanna thank everyone, I have so many ideas! I'm not sure which one I'm gonna go with but once I decide I'll definitely post a picture. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CircusManager220
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004 08:51:09 AM »

I found one on the road and it is on my wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004 09:06:28 AM »

well i guess living in the uk has one good thing going for it... we don't have to change our plates if we move house  Smiley

however your plates look cooler than ours  Wink

some great idas here anyways...i'd go with the sentimental theme... maybe make the plates into a box (or attach them to an existing box) for keeping memories in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004 10:32:40 AM »

As my state has changed its plates, I have two old ones just sitting around.  I bought a sheet of metal from the hardware store which they were nice enough to cut for me.  I had them cut it to the width of a plate and the height of about 5 plates.  Then, once it was home, I drilled holes in the top hang it by (wear saftey glasses) and used some metal-metal glue to attach one plate at the top and another at the bottom.  The center is now a message board with magnets I made with bottle caps and a magnet glued inside.  BTW the remaining piece of metal now is mounted behind my stove as a back splash. It is hung the same way as the megnet board.

*Ok I did the purse and will post it but unless you are good with rivets and metal, this is not the project for you.  No wonder they are so expensive.  However, I had it out on the town and got A LOT of compliments.  Even guys were coming up!  I never had that happen before!  Wish I had this when I was single. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004 05:04:40 PM by NynaeveAS » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spikey_chic

hello, im artistic...not crazy =)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004 11:43:42 AM »

ive seen people make them into cd cases and little planners...it take a load of work though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixiestixchick65

"I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004 01:37:52 PM »

I dunno if this is for you, but when I moved from New Jersey to Florida, my mom and I documented the move.... you know, pictures of the house as it was emptied, friends that helped us move, receipts of the hotels we stayed at along the way.  Once we got settled into our new house, we put in a new "chapter" with pictures of our new house, paint and fabric we'd like to use, our dream rooms, etc.  It was kinda like an interactive, personalized scrapbook, and for me (being only 4 at the time), it helped me remember my old house and made the transition a little easier.  You could make something like that and use your old licence plate to bind it.

:-*ciao xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ciao xox
stykz
[insert catchy custom title here]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004 11:35:34 PM »

hey all.. havent been on here in a while..  been feeling the need to make something lately but i've been lacking inspiration..

anyways, a couple of days ago, i had to change the liscense plates on my car (which sucks because i'd just about gotten my old plate numbers memorized Sad) but i kept the old plates because i figured surely i could do something with them, make something out of them..

i dont want to hang them on the wall or anything like that - i just dont think it would look right unless i had a lot of them, and since i only have the two, i think it would look tacky..

so, if any of you happen to read this and it sparks an idea, please post it. i'd really appreciate it Cheesy

thanks ever so much,

stykz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookgirl
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004 08:19:34 AM »

Don't remember where, but I've seen people use license plates to make notebook or album covers and to make purses.  For the notebook, you can either cut the plate in half to use as covers, or bend into a |_| shape for a smaller book.  Or use both to make a bigger one.  Use an awl or metal punch for the holes.

You could use them to make planters or votive holders, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gagreel
snickerdoodle cookie

I heart Queen

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2004 11:25:37 AM »

someone on here made a purse out of one....

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=2162.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never paint my dreams or nightmares, I only paint my own reality"   -Frida Kahlo
AnarchyForSale
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2004 07:09:56 PM »

You could send them to me! lol..you could hang them on your wall as 'decorative wall ornaments' if you have boring walls like i do. Or you could make a car collage. get a peice of cardborad/thick paper and collage cars or signs n stuff then stick the licence plate in the middle and hang it on your wall for all to enjoy! hehe..just a thought..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Only when we eat up this planet will God give us another. We'll be remembered more for what we destroy than what we create." -Invisible Monsters / Chuck Palahniuk
rubber duck
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004 07:51:53 PM »

make bookends bend it like l_l and like it would rap the 2 end books
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kokopu
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004 07:10:23 AM »

I made a cd book.  Cut the plate in half and drill two holes close to the cut edge on each half.  YOu can buy cd sleeves from t@rget.  Attach everything together with loose leaf binder rings. I used a piece of cord elastic tied through the original bolt holes in the back half of the plate to hold the book shut.  Seems to work pretty well and is way cute.  I would post pics but my camera is broken  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lulu101
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004 04:55:11 PM »

You could get a big box, make it into a toy car and stick on the lisence plates! So fun! I like the idea of sticking them on your wall
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
homegirleh

this is not a llamatization!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004 11:27:15 AM »

I saw a show on decorating design-ey stuff once and they wrapped old liscence plates around big candles...I dont remember how, but they looked cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004 11:37:19 AM »

I was raised with boy scouts and as a fund raiser, they allways use them to make birdhouses. Just bend the plate into a V shape and pop it on the roof. TADA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
ChloeR
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004 11:48:40 AM »

Yes, my idea is a birdhouse also. My grandmother has one hanging on her tree outside. It's an old boot with a Texas license plate bent in half as the roof... It's really TOO cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schi118
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004 03:16:04 PM »

hi!  i just moved to texas from florida for school and don't want to throw out my old florida license plate...  i'm looking for something to do with it without cutting it up.. any ideas?  i'm open to furniture ideas, handbags, anything as long as it stays in one piece for now.  thanks!!!

::kayleigh::
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004 03:21:09 PM by schi118 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sumimac
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004 08:36:24 PM »

I've seen them used as roofs on bird houses.  It would stay in one piece, a bent piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schi118
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004 09:17:20 AM »

interesting, but sadly i'm in a dorm so that option is out... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sararara
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2004 07:50:40 PM »

hey, this may be too late, but I saw a lamp made of an old liscense plate a few days ago- I wish I had a pic, but it was wrapped in a circle with the lampshade on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2004 07:54:22 PM »

A long time ago I used to see people with purses made out of them. I think a notebook or a journal would be cool as well. Or you could bend each of them in half and punch some holes in it qnd it could be a lantren if you put a light in it. Post picts of whatever you end up making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VoodooToaster
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2004 08:13:10 PM »

In my latest issue of Artitude zine, they cut out the individual numbers on the plate and made keychains out of them.  Looked really cool, but work and tool intensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schi118
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2004 10:06:29 PM »

wow guys, great ideas!  thanks so much.. i ended up just hanging it in my room for now tho   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
casslyra
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2004 08:59:29 AM »

here is a link for making it into a book
http://www.diynet.com/diy/qu_metals/article/0,2025,DIY_14214_2269561,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Marzluff Shows How Crows Recognize Human Faces
Isaac Mizrahi Interviews Susan Fales-Hill on Imperfect Bliss
Sally Jenkinson Performs Her Poem "Lullaby"
Jeffery Deaver Talks About His James Bond Novel "Carte Blanche"
CHI Marathon Author on the Best Way to Recover from Running a Marathon
Latest Blog Articles
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...