A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Friend's Birthday!  (Read 752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexiii
« on: April 07, 2007 03:19:23 AM »

So my friend Marnie's birthday is coming up (the 23rd) and I have nooo idea what to make for her!
I don't want to buy anything because basically I dont know WHAT to buy her, and anything I would buy for her I would probably be better off making it for her. Also I have no money..Hehe.
So I'm hoping this is the right forum. Considering I've only been browsing since I've joined and this is my first post, I wouldnt be surprised.
But anyways, maybe you guys could help me with some ideas?
Should I tell you about her, maybe?

She's my bestest friend ever.
She's a lesbian.
Lover of rainbows.
Her fav. animals are whales.
Her second fav. animals are platypi.
Her and I are obsessed with Germany.
She loves cute stuff.
We have so so so so sooo many inside jokes.

Need any more information?

edit: I can sew a little [my sewing machine is broken though so i'd have to hand sew]
I have sculpey clay and im ok at sculpting.
I can draw but im kind of no good at painting.
I can do other stuff do i guess. Just suggest and I guess I can say whether or not I can do it. haha.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007 02:24:00 AM by lexiii » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007 05:21:59 PM »

Hi. I do not know what crafts you are into, but this project sounds like a prime candidate for an altered book- with that you can incorporate images of those things she likes, as well as some inside jokes (you might even stick the jokes behind windows or doors within the altered book)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
lexiii
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007 10:47:50 PM »

Thanks so much, meanderingartist!
That's a great idea!

Does anyone else have more ideas? I feel like spoiling her and showering her in gifts this year since I've given her small presents lately. I don't even think I got her anything for Christmas. Eek!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fudgegirl
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007 11:39:42 PM »

what crafts can you do? thats some info we really need! that will also mean more people are likely to have ideas and help you out... Wink
for now, here are some guesses:
if you can sew, maybe sew her up a simple whale toy?
if you're into polymer clay, you could make her some little platypi or whales and put them on earrings? you dont even have to buy polymer clay for this - you could make the stuff out of salt dough, so its practically free!
um....whoah... now im stumped! thats sad, 'cause i havent given you many ideas there have i? hmm... well, if you put up some more info, i'll try and help you out  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexiii
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007 02:27:59 AM »

oh, more great ideas! thanks Fudgegirl!

I updated the main post, I posted a list of a few things I am kind of good at. I like the whale stuffy idea, does anyone have a pattern for a whale stuffed animal?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fudgegirl
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007 06:51:18 PM »

cool.... i've had a lil search around craftster for whales and i found this :
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=83379.0;all
the only problem is you'd probably need a sewing machine to make it.....
if you're not sure about that pattern, you could make your own - i remembered http://www.freewebs.com/happywhaleproductions/forsale.html and if you click on the pictures, you can sort of see how the whales are constructed, and you can use them as a starting point.
You could also just make a really simple stuffy by getting a basic whale silhouette/outline and just sewing that up so you have a flat whale - you could make it like an IOU, give your friend a tiny felt whale now with some sort of message in/with it, and then later when you're sewing machine is working, you  could whip up a big whale!
heres what im on about :http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=156058.0
you could maybe make part of the whale out of rainbow fabric too  Grin

okay... other ideas: make little sculpey magnets of stuff she loves, or...oh! you could get a blank sketchbook/journal, cover it with cool contact/pictures to hide the not so exciting outside, and then on some of the pages draw some little pictures of platypi, whales, germany, and anything related to anything she likes Cheesy. you could also scatter through the pages little inside jokes and maybe quotes of silly things you guys have said? WHOOPS! i only just realised thats what meandering artist said..... Roll Eyes d'oh.... anyway, i'll stop ranting...hopefully you have some more ideas now?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexiii
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007 08:23:45 PM »

Oh awesome! Im stupid, I didnt even think of searching for whale. ehhh. I like that first whale, maybe I can try and do that...Im not sure how my hand sewing is,the last time i tried it wasnt so good but i was rushing so i dont know, but I can attempt it. Maybe that whale on a smaller scale would work better for me since i have to hand sew it
Well yesterday I made her a sculpey whale & a toggle bracelet made of some beautiful glass beads, I made it a rainbow. :]
I also did her card, so that's out of the way.
I'm thinking that even though I made the sculpey whale, I might make her the stuffie too. oh, I could put a keyring on it and I could give it to her as a keychain!
But thats enough whale stuff, haha, her card is even whale themed! But I do know she loves whales so I know shell just love this.

I'd like to make her the book/journal thing but I'm not really sure how'd I go about doing that. I wouldnt be able to fill up the entire thing with stuff because generally speaking, journals and blank books and the like are filled with at least 50 pages. and if I didnt fill it up with stuff I'd feel silly giving her a half-empty journal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fudgegirl
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007 11:20:05 PM »

whoah... i've kinda hijacked this thread.... oh well...

I'd like to make her the book/journal thing but I'm not really sure how'd I go about doing that. I wouldnt be able to fill up the entire thing with stuff because generally speaking, journals and blank books and the like are filled with at least 50 pages. and if I didnt fill it up with stuff I'd feel silly giving her a half-empty journal.

i think if you're giving her an altered journal for her to write/sketch in, dont try to fill up every page, just scatter stuff through - say, put a quote/joke on say, every 5th page, or a little whale drawing on the middle page of the book, and then a photo on every 9th page or whatever... that way your friend can still use the book, but here and there she finds a little surprise!
if you buy a smallish book, or she isnt into drawing/writing, you could always make it more like a scrap book, and stick pics of you guys together jokes etc on everypage.
If the present is turning out too whaley, you could always put non-whaley things in the scrap book, or even make her a stuffed platypus or something!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexiii
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007 01:30:15 AM »

Oh that's a great idea! No, she's totally into drawing & she's a wonderful writer.

So I did the stuffed whale and mine is kind of poopy, haha! I messed up on the calculations and well, it does have sort of a cuteish handmade look to it I suppose. hehe. Well I am thinking of also making her a bookmark and then I might do the scrapbook/friendship book thing only I was thinking maybe I should make my own little booklet and decorate it. Then i wont feel obligated to fill it up and then she wont feel like shes ruining it if she sketches or writes in it. (thats how I would feel if it were given to me, anyhow haha)

Well I feel dumb cause all i have so far is a bunch of little stuff. Aside from the book I'm going to make, anyways.
Well maybe I could pop by Boo Radley's [our favorite locally owned gift shop<3] and get her a book or some novelty item that she loves. hehe maybe theres something whale-y there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Kolko on How Culture Impacts Design Problem Solving
Why Choose SCAD to Study Industrial Design
How to Find Purpose in a Design Career
What Draws a Creative to Practical Problem Solving
How to Create an Interactive Design Experiences
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...