A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper or Plastic? With Tutorial  (Read 5205 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2004 08:14:47 AM »

These are the first items I've posted on Craftster.

This is a purse/tote made from Ed Hopper art postcards:

Here's one from Starbucks brouchures:

& a couple of shots of an album purse I made:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/be/28/88_1_b.JPG
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/bc/b5/6e_1.JPG

& a Route 66 Postcard Purse:

HERE'S MY TUTORIAL!!!

Ingredients:

posterboard
interfacing
spray adhesive
paper designs for the showy side of your purse
clear vinyl
clear contact paper
clear nylon thread
grommets & a grommet tool
rubber aquarium tubing

Process:

1. Take a peice of posterboard & iron heavy interfacing on to it--this will act as the base for your purse.

2. The purse is made of five sections: the front & back, the bottom & the two sides. Think of it as a box, the front and back have to be the same size, the sides will be the same height as the height of the front & back. The bottom will be the same width as the front & back and the same length as the two sides. Okay, for conversation's sake the front and back are 3  x 5, the sides are 3 x 2 and the bottom is 5 x 2. (Which is going to make you a teenie little purse.)

3. Take the paper sections and using spray adhesive, attach it to the interfacing side of the posterboard in a cross shape (the bottom is in the middle flanked by the two sides with the front above it and the back below). Cut away all of the excess posterboard so that you only have the cross part. (Note if your bag won't fit on the posterboard, put the front, back & bottom together & cut the two sides out separately. You can attach the sides with clear packing tape after you've cut it out.)

4. Lay the cross down on the clear vinyl, pretty side down so that you're looking at the posterboard side. Take clear contact paper and seal the posterboard part to the vinyl part with the sticky stuff on the contact paper (sticky back plastic for our Eurocraftsters).

5. Cut away the excess clear vinyl leaving a 1" border all the way around the edges of the cross.

6. Take your clear packing tape & fold the vinyl edge over what will be the four top edges of the purse & tape it to the posterboard side. (The posterboard side will be the inside of your purse.)

7. Take a hole punch or a grommet tool and punch four holes to run the handles through. Insert the grommets & hammer them flat.

8. Take your purse to the sewing machine and stitch the sides to the front & back. You now have a box! You will have to do a little origami to get the thing smushed down so it will go under the pressure foot. I use a big long plastic ski looking foot to work with vinyl. My best tips are to use clear nylon quilting thread & a new sharp needle. I use a pretty wide zig zag stitch & it holds very well. Cut off the excess plastic after you've stitched the sides together.

9. Take rubber aquarium tubing and cut it into two equal sized peices to use for handles. Thread the handles through the grommets & knot the ends. You can leave the knots on the outside of the bag or on the inside, it's a personal preference thing. You can also run thin ribbon, string or bead chain through the tubing before you knot it to add interest & color to your handles.

10. Carry your purse with pride  Grin  

I'm sorry I don't have pics posted but I have fits trying to get the picture situation to work.  Huh

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011 12:10:52 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004 08:47:26 AM »

hi those are really cool... how did u make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dalaimama

In the spring the grass grows all by itself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004 10:58:02 AM »

Your bags are great!  I especially like the postcard bags.  I have a huge postcard collection and I would love to make some bags with them.  Could you explain how you made them?  I'd love to see a more close-up picture too Grin  Thanks and again, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come Visit My Online Shop! Bella Dia Designs
michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004 11:06:23 AM »

I especially love the last oe -- the Route 66.  How Cool !!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004 01:54:01 PM »

i especially like the idea of starbucks brochures...i have never been to starbucks  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004 02:21:30 PM »

Thanks ya'll.  Grin The whole idea started many moons ago when I was making purses out of road maps & funny papers covered in clear contact. The problem was that the purses didn't hold their shape very well & being an attention defecit crafter, moved on to the next thing. This time around I've reinforced the paper with cardstock & heavy interfacing, as well as contact paper & clear vinyl. They've been so much fun to make & I have taken orders for purses made from beer carriers, nursery rhyme books, playing cards...you name it.

I'm going to work out a tute when I have time to take all the pics & such. Thanks for the kind feedback!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004 02:34:42 PM by sasto » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004 07:05:45 PM »

a tutorial asap please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxXXkindelXXxx
highway robber

i want to be the girl with the most cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004 06:45:05 PM »

i saw a book once on sale of Jewish crafts, but i looked at them (eventhough i am not jewish) and there was a bag tute similar to your bags, they suggested using jewish sheet music for songs and covering them with contact and using clear tubing from the hardware store for the handles and to tie up the sides. I tried it with some random things i printed off my computer, song lyrics, etc. it turned out ok, but definately kind of loopy. Very simple to make, use the 8x11 sheets for the front and back and then cut one in half for the sides. The tubing cost like a dollar at Home Depot.
sorry i dont have a pic. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

< let's get something done, too much idle time is wasted. Let's cut to the chase, and don't be afraid!> A.O.M.
gwensmom
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004 06:49:17 PM »

Very nice bags!  I'm looking forward to the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Altered Angel

Art Design Jewellery & Gifts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005 03:25:22 AM »

Oh WOW I REALLY want one! 

Yes Pleasseeeeee do a Tut ~ Is it ready yet  Huh LOL.

Oh I HAVE to have one of those!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy, Breezy Mermaid Hair Tutorial
Gold Tipped Braids at Mara Hoffman NYFW 2014
Half Up Bella Thorne Hair Tutorial
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
How to Create Mermaid Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...