A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,802
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer clay hand mirrors [tutorial added to first post]  (Read 18801 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mansonette
« on: April 06, 2007 06:11:22 PM »

Ok.  So I've made quite a few of these...but here are the most recent. 

This one is going in the bag I'm making for a bridal shower gift.  I'm one of the bridesmaids.  The blue color matches the bridesmaids dresses.

Here is the first one I tried with this blue pattern...but I put this silver powder on the raised parts.  I like the one above better.

And this one is my absolute favorite.  It is a honeycomb pattern that I used gold and transparent yellow for.  I think the really thin layer of yellow that I used on top really adds dimension.  And I like the 'bly' on the front.  It's a bly because it was supposed to be a bee...but somehow looks more like a fly.

Whatcha think?  If I get better at them I might try to sell them in a local boutique here.  Who knows.  Someone might want them.

[TUTORIAL]

Ok.  So I made 2 more last night and took pictures along the way for the 1st one.  I also did the imprinting for it...but it is a lot easier if you don't.  You can do it whichever way you want...but I'll show you the more complicated one. 

This is what I use...

I first condition the clay to make it soft and easy to work with.

From experience...I powder the mold lightly with baby powder to keep it from sticking and tearing the clay later.

I lay the transparent layer over the design(a very thin layer-as thin as I can get it on the pasta machine and then I pull at it a little to stretch it farther without tearing it) and position it where I want.  Do not push down.  Just let the clay sit on top.

Decide which other color you'd like and do the same as with the transparent clay...only leave it a little thicker.

After they are both positioned where you'd like them, go ahead and start pressing down.  You'll have to be careful because the powder will make it want to stick to your fingers and lift off the mold.  You can lightly powder your fingers or you can just be really careful to not let the clay move position.

Make sure to turn it over carefully after you've pressed it down fully to make sure there are no air bubbles.  This is the time to get them out if you made any.  If you see big bubbles take a toothpick or clay tool and poke a whole down to the mold.  Work the air out and then smooth out the hole.  You'll never know after it is baked.

Push down your mirror onto the clay and start to lift up the clay around the edges.  DO NOT LIFT THE CLAY FULLY.  Work your way around pressing lightly around the edges to make contact around the edge of the mirror.

This is what it should look like once you've made your way around.

Take your clay knife or razor and start cutting the clay away.  Move the knife from the outside of the clay toward the middle of the mirror as you cut.  This helps push the clay up against the side of the mirror.  Cut the clay flush with the mirror.

You may not have a template, but you can use another mirror for this step.  Roll your scrap clay...or whatever color...out into a piece big enough to fit on the mirror side of the mirror.  Cut out a circle.

Set the circle on top of the mirror and center it as much as possible.

Smooth the clay down onto the sides.  I just move back and forth with my finger lightly until there are no open seams.  Make sure not to push too much because the side of the mirror might peak through.  If this happens, just take a scrap of clay and smooth it down over the edge.  I have a tendency to push too hard.

With the mirror still pressed on the template, cut out a smaller circle of clay and carefully pull it off the mirror. 

Smooth down the cut edges so there is a nice circle.

VERY CAREFULLY lift the mirror off of the template once the mirror side is finished to your liking.  I find this easiest to turn the template upside down and bend the edges back working my way around the mirror.  This takes a little bit and is slow...but I haven't ripped my clay yet.  Also moving to quickly will create air bubbles under the clay.  If this happens, carefully make a cut at the edge of the mirror and move the air out.  You can easily smooth over the cut without disturbing the pattern.

This is the finished mirror before it is glazed.

This is after glazing.  I call this one the beefy mirror, because it looks like raw ground beef with hardened grease/fat on it.  Kinda gross, but kinda cool.  I don't eat beef by the way.  That is why it has the grossness.

This is my second one from last night.  This one was transparent purple with silver underneath.  I didn't get the purple thin enough, so the silver doesn't show through too much.

Sorry for this being soooo long.  Post pics if you try it!  I'd love to see!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 10:36:43 AM by mansonette » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007 06:25:44 PM »

those are really great! i love the honey bee one. absolutely adorable! did you happen to bake the clay with the mirror already in there or did you bake it and then put the mirror in later? anyways really fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
raina.storms
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007 06:29:17 PM »

Those are cool! Can I ask where you got the plain mirrors? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007 06:29:47 PM »

those are really great! i love the honey bee one. absolutely adorable! did you happen to bake the clay with the mirror already in there or did you bake it and then put the mirror in later? anyways really fantastic job!

I put the clay all around the mirror and then bake it.  I bake it with the mirror side down setting on an empty soda can.  This way there are no shiny spots or weird marks from it baking directly on something.  Then when it cools I coat it in gloss air dry glaze.  I never worry about finger prints or weird spots on the mirror while baking, because a nice cleaning after baking will make it shiny and new.

Maybe I'll make a tutorial.  

I get the plain mirrors at the craft store usually where they have feathers and leather making supplies.  They come in a package of like 4 for a dollar or two.  It is a very cheap project.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007 06:32:15 PM by mansonette » THIS ROCKS   Logged
raina.storms
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007 06:33:17 PM »

Thanks! IMO, you could totally sell these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Masokissed
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007 08:53:03 PM »

Great job.

I am such a goof. I actually expected a mirror made of polymer clay hands. I guess I am a bit morbid... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007 10:43:56 AM »

I love the blue one!
Great job!
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squir_l
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007 11:31:49 AM »

those are beautiful! yes please please please do a tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007 04:23:27 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley I would like to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007 04:50:49 PM »

Dudeeeeee those are the greatest frekaing mirrors i have ever seen. lol
I have been playing with sculpey on my vacation this week but now i must try this with the days i have left.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
poprock6903
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007 04:52:50 PM »

i love the blue mirrors! they're gorgeous! and the honeycomb one is cute, too! I'd definitely buy one if you decided to sell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alana1223
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007 06:04:54 PM »

really cute!

Great job and thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bouncyflea
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007 08:20:23 PM »

Wow! I espeically love the honeycomb one, it looks awesome. (I kind of want to lick it.) I think you could sell them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poohbear92

Young Crafter!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007 09:34:51 PM »

I really like the honeycomb ones =D they are so cute! I would totally buy it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

old enough to know better
young enough to do it anyways.
mansonette
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007 10:31:00 PM »

Thanks you guys for your awesome replies.  It makes me feel so good to know others like my work.  I always over analyze my own stuff. 

I really wanna go out and try to sell my mirrors now. 

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007 10:55:10 PM »

mansonette - thank you so much for the amazing tutorial! and who wouldn't love your work?! seriously it's amazing. go sell them sweety! they will sell like hot cakes but you will sell they way faster! hahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
gwennie363
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007 11:23:51 PM »

Just had to let you know that a) those are awesome little mirrors, and I can definitely see them selling in a little boutique somewhere - especially "themed" ones (like the bee/honeycomb one), and b) what a great tutorial. I'll definitely have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty_karen1
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007 11:42:07 PM »

Those mirrors really are fantastic. You could definitely sell them. And thank you for a great tutorial. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patchouli
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007 05:46:11 AM »

I love your mirrors, they are really beautiful. And your bly is original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blogs... 1 in the oven and That Cricket Is... Not A Cricket!!

0****5****10****15****20****25****30**X*35****40
mansonette
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007 07:10:09 AM »

Thanks guys.

This morning I woke to find a wonderful present in my email.  The new weekly flyer for Hobby Lobby.

CRAFT MIRRORS 1/2 OFF FOR ALL!

Now it is a REALLY cheap project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007 12:36:23 PM »

love your mirrors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shootingdreams86
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007 02:38:36 PM »

I love your mirrors, the honeycomb one is my fav.  I decide to make one for my friend she is having a baby soon and the baby's name is going to Alexandra Rose so i did an A and a rose on the back. i still need to glaze them but I'm to broke this week.  They are not as awesome as yours but i thought i would share how your great tutorial helped me.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/shootingdreams86/a.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/shootingdreams86/a1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mansonette
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007 05:11:25 PM »

I love your mirrors, the honeycomb one is my fav.  I decide to make one for my friend she is having a baby soon and the baby's name is going to Alexandra Rose so i did an A and a rose on the back. i still need to glaze them but I'm to broke this week.  They are not as awesome as yours but i thought i would share how your great tutorial helped me.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/shootingdreams86/a.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/shootingdreams86/a1.jpg

That is too cute!!  It totally made me smile!  I'm sure she will love it.  It feels so good to make things for other people. 
I know what you mean about being broke.  I am on my last couple dollars already til the end of the week...but I bought Velcro today after work.  What the hell do I need Velcro for???  Who knows, but I needed it.  Oh well.  Such is life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystalthepirate
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007 06:49:43 PM »

amazing!! i love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiesdream
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007 08:20:13 PM »

Oh my god..  Roll Eyes
This is so interesting!! I am motivated by you after reading your posts..  Wink Your project are very fantastic. Do make some more!!
I will also try to make ... Good job done!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007 08:30:16 PM »

Oh my god..  Roll Eyes
This is so interesting!! I am motivated by you after reading your posts..  Wink Your project are very fantastic. Do make some more!!
I will also try to make ... Good job done!!!  Kiss

Thanks!  I'd love to see yours when you are done.  I've moved back on to purses for the moment, but will definately make a stop at making mirrors again. 
It seems like I can't stay doing one thing too long.  I gotta jump from clay to fabric to beads to crochet...to whatever is in front of me when I get the urge.
Thanks again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007 09:40:54 AM »

what a wonderful idea for a bridal shower present!!! meaningful and functional and just wonderful (however, the bly is my favorite!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
crafty wise creations
crafty wise creations

me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007 11:34:21 PM »

awww i can't wait to try these. what great gifts! i'll be sure to post pics once i find the time to make one or two!!! thanks for the tute!!! xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007 09:21:15 AM »

Ok.  So here is what I finished for the bridal shower that is in an hour and a half.  Do you guys think I should add anything else?  Or is something stupid that I should take out??

Thanks!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007 01:03:48 PM »

bags are the greatest, should be loved
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tabbathehutt
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007 12:41:19 PM »

WOW, that is awesome! What a fun shower gift!!

So here's my big question: where did you get the designs/molds that you used to create the pattern on the mirrors? I checked hobby lobby and they had a clay mold that I liked and almost purchased, but they were made of a blue rubber material and I was worried about dealing with the air bubble problem when I couldn't see through the mold.

My mom and my best friend both have birthdays coming up and the mirrors would be a fun thing to make them if I could get all of the materials together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tabbathehutt
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007 12:43:02 PM »

And another question- you mention the transparent layer a few times... did you somehow find transparent fimo or does the fact that it's just a really thin layer make it transparent?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007 04:10:07 PM »

tabbathehutt: I actually got the molds from Michael's? I believe.  They are Makin's brand and they are for the Makin's brand air dry clay.  They come in 4 different sets...I got set C because that was the only one I saw there at the time.  I used the patterns backwards though.  I had to study the plastic sheet for a while to figure out how the pattern would come out.  I wanted it raised just like the plastic sheet...so I had to press it on the back.  Don't know if that makes sense.

Here is a link to the Makin's texture sheets so you know what to look for.  I think they were about $4:

http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/texture_sheet.htm

They have a lot of other neat tools on their site I might have to look for!

Oh...and about the transparent clay.  I use Fimo Soft #14 Transparent.  It isn't really transparent unless you get it super thin(and it stays white until it is baked).  They also have a bunch of other transparent colors.  Like on the honeycomb mirror I used transparent yellow on top of gold so it would look like it had some depth. 

Hope this helps!!  Post pictures when you are done!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tabbathehutt
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007 04:18:54 PM »

Thanks for the great help!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MirthFairy
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007 12:01:20 PM »

I love the bee one. I really have to try this. I think It might be time for me to go to the craft store!

I love bees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyteen
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007 07:02:11 PM »

These are absolutely amazing! I just HAVE to try these. Great idea for gifts. What type of glaze do you use for them? I have never used polymer clay before so the name/brand or whatever would be great!

I cannot get over how much i love these. Super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007 10:24:05 PM »

I have two different kinds of glaze that I use...Eberhard/Faber which I LOVE and Sculpey which I just started experimenting with.  I have never tried the matte finish, just glossy.  It is located right where the clay is in the craft store and it is air drying.  The Eberhard/Faber was like $5 I think @ JoAnn's and the Sculpey was 2.99 @ Hobby Lobby. 

Make sure to post pics of your mirrors!  I'd love to see what you come up with!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpyMcPimpin
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007 11:38:51 PM »

I was looking at your amazing mirrors-- You have talent to think of that yourself--- I really want to try, but I am not familiar with the products in the picture.  I was reading through your posts and I got what you mentioned--mirror ,pasta thingy, glaze, clay knife, molds, but I think there was something else in the picture -----in a bottle?  Sorry, I am new to this.  Also, a question about the clay--does it actually matter what clay you use---or should I look for a certain brand.  Oh, and the paint-- did you use a special paint?

Thanks, if my baby lets me stay in the store long enough to find all this stuff--I'll try this this week.

Sandy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007 08:21:58 AM »

Ok...lets see what I all had.  Most of this isn't necessary, just I just had it already so I used it. 

I use Fimo and Sculpey III clay.  I mix them regularly, and haven't had any issues.  The baking temp. for each is slightly different, but I just go somewhere in the middle.  I have a clay knife, not necessary, but oh so handy.  Craft mirrors...obviously .  I have square ones, but haven't tried them yet.  I like the round ones a lot.  That orange thing is actually a scrapbooking supply.  It is just a Fiskar circle template thing.  I don't think it was expensive, and I use it more than I ever thought for a number of different projects.  I have the pasta roller.  I wouldn't have it if I didn't get a really good deal on it.  You can use a lot of different methods to roll out your clay if you don't have a pasta roller.  If you google rolling out polymer clay you will probably get a lot of good ideas.  I have the molds.  They aren't necessary, but I just wanted to try something different.  Don't know if you already saw this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=165506.0 but it is a good look at what you can do without molds.  And the stuff in the bottles is the glaze.  This isn't necessary either, but makes your mirror nice and shiny after they are done baking.  I also used a ceramics tool...the little pointy tool to help me cut out the circles.  You can use anything for that, even a pencil.

Pretty much the 'necessary' things are: clay and craft mirrors.  I'd say the semi-necessary things are: clay knife and glaze.  Everything else is fluff.  A pasta roller really does conditioning the clay easier though.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007 10:43:22 AM »

Really glad to see you imported this here! Grin Grin

a question about the clay--does it actually matter what clay you use---or should I look for a certain brand.

Yes, brand of polymer clay makes a difference in several ways.  Especially if any of the clay will be thin (like this mirror covering) or projecting, and later stressed, Sculpey and FimoSoft will be brittle and can easily break, whereas Premo, FimoClassic (different from FimoSoft though packages almost identical), and Kato Polyclay will be strong in those situations.  (Sculpey and FimoSoft will also be softer when they're raw, so harder than the others for getting precise details when you want them... and anyone with hot hands, totally forget those.)
There's more info on brands if you're interested, on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm

As for glazes-finishes, there are several that are made by polymer clay manufacturers, and if you can afford the EberhardFaber/FIMO "spirit-based" gloss or matte (not their water-based versions of those), that's the best if really pricey.
Otherwise, clayers often use a wood finish (Varathane--indoor, gloss) or a vinyl floor polish (Future) because they work great and are cheap. (Polyform/Sculpey's finish can be fairly thick and gloppy, and is more expensive than Varathane and Future but not as expensive as Fimo's.)
Check out this page for much more info on all the finishes/glazes one can use with polymer clay, including those:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

Translucent clays can be purchased pre-tinted, or you can tint the colorless ones yourself.  In this case, just a very thin layer of regular translucent clay is used (translucent looks milky till baked... the thinner it is, the "clearer" it will be after baking, and also adding a layer of clear finish or sanding and electric-buffing will give a glassy covering that makes translucent clay even more translucent or transparent).
There's lots of info on using translucent clays, and making them very thin, etc., on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/translucents-glow.htm

where did you get the designs/molds that you used to create the pattern on the mirrors? I checked hobby lobby and they had a clay mold that I liked and almost purchased, but they were made of a blue rubber material and I was worried about dealing with the air bubble problem when I couldn't see through the mold.

As for texture sheets, molds, and stamps, there are loads of them that can be used with polymer clay.
The type you saw in Michaels was rubbery and opaque, but air bubbles are seldom a problem for most of those things when used with polymer clay ...actual individual "molds" are usually filled by pressing the pointy end of a teardrop shape of clay into any particularly indented area (like the nose of a face, e.g.) if there is one, and when pressing textures molds onto/into sheets of clay (with a pasta machine, or just a roller or brayer), the clay fills in everywhere very nicely (...but there could always be air, or moisture, inside the clay itself which could be a problem bubble-wise, though there are ways to avoid that).
Almost any type of molds, stamps, or texture sheets can be used to impress raw polymer clay, and they can be things just found around the house or things are intended for other uses. 
Texture sheets can even be things like rough sandpaper or sheets of plastic canvas used as "stamps... or texture sheet "molds" can be made from all those things too, then used to make reverse images. 

For much more info about all those things, check out these pages:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/stamping.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/texturing.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm

If anyone wants to check out a bit more info about making clay frames around mirrors, these two pages have lots of tips on making frames, covering mirrors and glass, etc.:                           
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/frames-mirrors.htm
(probably easiest to do a Ctrl + f search on that page using the word mirror... or just check out the large and medium size "frames" in general)
...and there's more on "covering" glass (mirror) or plastic or metal in general on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007 10:46:14 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
yamwam
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007 01:00:27 PM »

I love love love the honeycomb mirror!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loose pleats sink fleets

Wists
craftyteen
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007 07:55:43 PM »

Alright so, I got all the stuff and tried this tonight! It turned out awfully. I bought the texture sheets, but I'm not sure I'm using them right, because I can't seem to get the clay way down into the grooves and keep the pattern. Just practice maybe? Also, I think I mixed too much brown in with my transparent, as it completely covered up the teal color. How thin is the clay supposed to be? I'm not sure if mine was too thin! How long did you bake yours? I didn't really know how thick mine was so I just did 7ish minutes.

Sorry for so many questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mansonette
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007 04:47:02 AM »

You need to bake it at least 15 minutes if not more.  15 minimum.

Also, make sure to dust the mold with baby powder so you can easily remove it later. 

About the mold, you have to work at it a little to get all of the clay down inside.  I run my sheet through the pasta roller on the largest setting once I think I've got it just to make sure.  Just makw sure you use the baby powder, or some kind of release.

You should bake your mirror longer and see if that makes the brown a little more transparent.  I don't know if you have a pasta roller, but I roll my clay out to a size 1...which is super super thin.  If it is too thick, it won't get too transparent.  Also, make sure to mix only very small amounts of other colors to tint it.  The more other clay, the less transparent it will be.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyteen
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007 11:17:22 AM »

Thanks, I think I added too much color into the clay. I will try baking it longer. I did use a pasta machine and did it on the thinnest it could go. I will also try to run the mold through the machine, I never thought of that! I also forgot to put powder on the mold. Whoops!  Wink I will hopefully have some time to work on another one tonight! Thanks for your help. If I get one to turn out well I will definatly post pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007 09:49:47 AM »

I think I added too much color into the clay.

craftyteen, as mansonette said, try a little less added clay color in your translucent.... it really takes very little to tint translucent clay.  Also, some regular clay colors have a certain amount of translucent in them already (that's not at all obvious unless viewing a thin sheet of it in front of a strong light, preferably in a dark closet)...those will work better than the more opaque colors (white, btw, is the most opaque! because it contains titanium oxide).

You can also use other "clearer" materials to tint translucent clay with... for example, small amounts of artists' oil paints, or alcohol inks (by Pinata or Dahler-Rowney, both now at Michaels I think--for brown, mix red and green or 2 other complementary colors together).  You can also use small amounts of acrylic paint but since acrylics contain water, you'll want to allow them to sit in the clay overnight before baking to avoid steam/trapped air which can cause bubbles.

I will try baking it longer. . .  . I did use a pasta machine and did it on the thinnest it could go. . . .

All polymer clays do have to be thoroughly cured or they won't be as strong as they could be, or they could actually leach oily stuff onto porous surfaces later (...also an oven thermometer really needs to be used to make sure the oven used is actually at the temp showing on its dial).  The temperature for curing polymer clay is usually 275 for the Sculpeys and Premo, 275-300 for Kato Polyclay, and 265 for the FimoClassic and FimoSoft.

The thickness of the clay (at its thickest area) will determine how long to bake.  Generally, it's 15 min. per quarter-inch of thickness. 
All clays can be baked longer though (and they will all be stronger) but the translucents (particularly Sculpey III's) will often darken somewhat (there are various ways to avoid that on my Baking page
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/baking.htm
under the Darkening category). 
Also, a brief bump up to 300 degrees has been shown to increase the clarity of translucent clays (Kato can go up to 325), but you'd have to check out your particular clay and situation. 

(Other things which will increase the clarity of translucent clays are applying a clear glaze or sanding then electric-buffing, and some people feel that an "ice-water plunge" when the clay is still hot from the oven works too though the effect may or may not last. 
And of course, the thinness of the clay is probably the most important.)

There's more info on all those things on the Translucents page I mentioned before, as well as differences between brands of translucent, how to make the very thin sheets, etc.:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/translucents-glow.htm
You might want to check out these categories there:
...Clearest Results
...Thin Sheets
...Brands
...Making Your Own "Tinted Translucents"

I will also try to run the mold through the machine, I never thought of that! I also forgot to put powder on the mold.

Many people just lay their sheet of conditioned clay over the texture sheet (mold) then roll over it firmly with some kind of roller by hand, but you can also do it in the pasta machine (sometimes that tends to sorta curl plastic texture sheets a bit tho', but doesn't affect their use later).

Releases are usually necessary for large sheets of clay impressed onto texture sheets (but not necessarily for other clay sizes).  Lots of things can be used as releases though.  For most clays, a spritz of water is great (but not for the Fimos because of some of the fillers they use).  All clays will work well with a light brushing of cornstarch on the clay, but actual talc (which may not even be around now) won't as easily rinse off the clay later.

Other things that work are glycerin, metallic powders (if you want that effect), ArmorAll (but only if you don't want to add anything to the clay later because they won't stick), and other things.
There's more info on releases to use with polymer clay here if you want to check them out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm (click on Releases)

Have fun!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 04:22:11 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are the 4 Best Hair Styling Tips?
Hanging Out With Ms. Louisiana
How Andrea DeLuca Stays Bikini-Ready All Year
Best Summer Buys for Busy Moms
Best Toners For All Skin Types
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...