A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
838 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: old door-new coffeetable  (Read 13574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meli-melo
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004 06:30:04 AM »

I have been wanting to get some old doors and make a headboard out of them for our bed.  We will be getting a queen sized bed soon (hopefully) and I thought that it would make a unique headboard to get a couple doors, paint them and then I would probably have to fasten them to the wall.  Has anyone tried something like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2004 05:10:29 AM »

thanks, everyone!
meli-melo, please post pics, if you can, when you're done.  i love to see that.

and nicki-i searched online for table legs, but they were all stupid-expensive.  i paid around $6-8 at lowes (or was it home depot?)

if you can't find any, maybe you could decunstruct an old chair/thrift store find and use those legs.

good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004 06:03:34 AM »

Cool! In our old house we (my brother, mom and I) lived in a year ago, there was a garage thing fool of old book and like shower door (o.0) and stuff, and now just a regular old wooden door is my computer table. Me and mom agreed to paint it some day. Right now were painting our "summer kitchen" (place to cook in and have barbcues and stuff when its summer) Its going to be blood red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2004 08:36:03 AM »

What a great table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tracey
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004 01:20:12 PM »

Super idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An old door would also make a fabulous trunk lid! *(i think)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004 02:09:27 PM »

What an awesome idea for a coffee table!  I'm scouting the flea market this weekend for the perfect door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
craft-matic
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004 06:06:43 AM »

I made a door-coffee table last year sometime.  Only mine is long and low and dark blue.  I wish I could post a photo, but I can't at the moment. For the legs, instead of using table legs, which I didn't think would provide enough support for this door because it was full size, I used 12" by 3/4" boards, cut to the length of the depth of the coffee table (does that make sense?).  I used a double thickness of the boards, screwed them to one another from the inside, and screwed the table to the boards through the top, sinking the screws.  It's sturdy enough that I often use the ends of the table as little benches (the one by the TV specifically) and although the middle won't hold my weight, it will hold the weight of anything I put on there.  Best part, it's HUGE.  In my case, I didn't know where to go for an old door, being new to my area at the time.  So I used the $20 jobbie at home depot (I know I know.  But it was pre-primed!  No sanding!).  I get more compliments on my door table than anything else I own, except for my matching aluminum ladder shelves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004 06:01:42 PM »

wow i love that! such a good idea Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
tallulahwine

She was the still point in the turning world.-FSG.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004 02:44:45 AM »

We have a coffee table made from an old door in our home as well.  I started off with milk crates, very sturdy yet unattractive.  Then I found a set of four candlestick holders at GardenRidge for ten bucks and just threw some Model Magic on top of the short ones to make it level.  Low and behold, drunk roommate knocks it over and I invested in my first power tool to drill the NEW set of candle holders into the table, which the helpful man at Home depot informed me was oak.  Therefore, dense wood.  I felt like such a trooper though!  Power tools.  I don't even own a microwave!  Oh, a cool side note... the door is really old and we left the knob on because the lock fits a skeleton key which I have put on a chain and bolted to the door so when people stop by they always lock and unlock the door while they are hanging out.  Freud would have a field day I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

These songs are for you.-Leonard Cohen
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.-Oprah.
Do you remember when crayons were the coolest?
Bully rocks.  really.  they are girls.  grrr.
pipkin2020
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004 09:18:33 AM »

Great table - there are so many doors in skips round where I live.  I know someone who got a whole load from various dumps, and battened them all together to make a shed!  Anyway, I'm sure my DH would have a fit if I brought home a door  Grin 
I saw an idea for a door table once where someone had put a glass top on, and put big old keys in the 'display' space - from an antique shop, apparently.  Looked kinda nice.  The possibilities are endless - maybe art posters or retro wallpaper...
good luck with the 8-hour drive with a small person.  Top tip - GO AT NIGHT.  My mum lives 7 hours away, and we leave at 7pm, small person nods straight off, and we get there at 2am and just transfer her (and us!) to a bed.  Perfect, no hassle, no traffic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Weave at Ends
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...