A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: old door-new coffeetable  (Read 14055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2004 02:40:00 PM »

finally, i can post pictures.  whew!  Roll Eyes           ok, here goes...

i had an old door.  and noplace to rest my magazines and cuppa tea Sad  so, i set that door on some cement blocks and circular- sawed off a panel on each end, then sanded the edges.
i got some table legs and finials from the hardware store, along with some brackets to attatch the legs with.  
http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/amymdelisle/table/table2.jpg                            
then i drilled holes in each corner the same size as the bolt in each finial, and attatched them.
http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/amymdelisle/table/table1.jpg
finally, i painted everything.
http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/amymdelisle/table/table3.jpg
it really needs a better paint job, but for now, it's serving it's purpose.

eww, pics are blurry.  still learning this one... Undecided
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 08:21:58 PM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004 03:13:21 PM »

that's pretty awesome.  I really like the recesses in the door-- good for keeping rolly things and spills confined.  You could also put a glass top down, and use those recesses as display areas.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004 04:42:18 PM »

cool idea! I never realized you could buy table legs. the things ya learn Smiley

was it readymade... that... <typing out loud, sorry> did a hanging desk/table from a wall? I look lustily at abandoned doors  Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004 01:04:10 PM »

:)thanks, susank.  what a great idea- i'm picturing bottlecaps or a loteria collage or pressed leaves or fancy papers...the ideas abound!  all under the protection of a sheet of plexiglass...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004 08:58:17 AM »

ur table is too cute! i luv it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
crazy_pinKy

i love crafting!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004 10:16:33 PM »

I would put coffee beans under the glass..  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherriesrockmysox
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004 01:52:31 PM »

Good idea crazy!!
Maybe even some teaspoons.. th measuring kind maybe the copper colored ones, some coffee beans of course and some other goodies associated with coffee maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004 03:26:26 PM »

...except my man might be tempted to pilfer them when he runs out of coffee... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004 01:11:33 PM »

I love the loteria idea-- one of my favorite motifs, too.

Does anyone know the url for a table made out of electrical boxes?  I found it somehow, somewhere on Craftster, maybe deep in someone's website linked via their signature?

I know that's a bit off-topic, but it's table-creation oriented, and it was sooo rad, with similar areas under glass to store stuff.

Table legs are sold at IKEA (part of their make-yer-own table thang).  You can use lots of stuff-- thick dowels, heavy duty wire bent into a U shape, plywood (whole sides), stacked blocks...

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004 08:17:42 AM »

...except my man might be tempted to pilfer them when he runs out of coffee... Roll Eyes

Yep, that'd happen in my house too -  Shocked

I think you could make it a memory type thing for trips/vacations - pieces of maps, ticket stubs, matchbooks, post cards, brochures, etc. Or maybe inspiration for the next trip ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004 11:32:54 AM »

haha, trips, that's funny.  we're new parents and haven't taken a trip in awhile... Sad
and now i'm a bit scared to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_mom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004 08:54:16 PM »

Nah, don't be scared! Taking kids places even as infants teaches them! I have 4 kids 7 and under - trust me, I think I'd need to look up the word "vacation" in the dictionary to know what it meant! It doesn't have to be big trips - I have a bulletin board I hang at "kid level" in our "all purpose room" (dining room, art room, homework room, etc.) and whenever we go somewhere - museum, zoo, state park, etc. we pin up the brochures and pamphlets we pick up while we're there, and they stay there until our next outing.

Put baby memoribila there - pictures, little footprints and handprints, little socks, hospital bracelets, cards from family and friends, etc. Of course, being new parents, maybe just put a pillow on top of it and take a nap ...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004 08:41:57 AM »

(here i am, hijacking my own thread...)

I have 4 kids 7 and under

holy smokes!  Shocked
after reading that i feel like one baby IS a vacation.
we talk a lot about trips we'd like to take...someday.  i think we will just jump right in and take an 8 hour drive to the beach in a few months...i just hope she likes the loooong ride.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_mom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004 06:17:46 PM »

When I had just one, I thought that same thought - "how can I ever have more than one - some days I can't even get a shower!" But it gets easier ...

Back on topic - I have a "door" desk myself - my husband is a carpenter, so he brought home an old luan door, and I sanded it and stained it, and we painted and put on the legs from an old, tiny desk we had - I love it! It's huge and durable - and best of all - almost free!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004 07:07:12 AM »

My favotire thing about my door desk... the hole where the door knob was: thread all the computer coards down there it really helps to keep them neat. Grin
 I HATE tangled cords behind my desk, to many beads get caught in them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004 06:06:39 AM »

I wish I had thought of that - we filled the hole before I stained it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoshi
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004 01:22:28 PM »

that's awesome!  i have beenw anting to make a desk out of a door but a coffee table never occured to me! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second-hand-smoke
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004 05:10:02 PM »

ooooo! i LOVE that table! i was just looking at legs  at the hardware store this weekend and trying to figure out what to put them on. (hardware stores are so hard for me - i want EVERYthing i see.) but too bad i hadn't seen this! i have a bunch of old doors lying around. of course, i'm kinda odd, so i was looking at buying 4 different legs (all the same height of course! i'm not THAT weird! LOL) but i think that might look cool.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
SHELLYK.

I Love Great Danes!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004 03:16:55 PM »

That table is tooooo cute!!! and so shabby chic...I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicki
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004 09:52:55 AM »

Does anyone know a good online supplier of table legs? Screw on or bolt on? We don't have an Ikea around and they don't sell the legs on-line. The Home Depot near me stopped carrying them too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meli-melo
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004 06:30:04 AM »

I have been wanting to get some old doors and make a headboard out of them for our bed.  We will be getting a queen sized bed soon (hopefully) and I thought that it would make a unique headboard to get a couple doors, paint them and then I would probably have to fasten them to the wall.  Has anyone tried something like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firefly

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2004 05:10:29 AM »

thanks, everyone!
meli-melo, please post pics, if you can, when you're done.  i love to see that.

and nicki-i searched online for table legs, but they were all stupid-expensive.  i paid around $6-8 at lowes (or was it home depot?)

if you can't find any, maybe you could decunstruct an old chair/thrift store find and use those legs.

good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004 06:03:34 AM »

Cool! In our old house we (my brother, mom and I) lived in a year ago, there was a garage thing fool of old book and like shower door (o.0) and stuff, and now just a regular old wooden door is my computer table. Me and mom agreed to paint it some day. Right now were painting our "summer kitchen" (place to cook in and have barbcues and stuff when its summer) Its going to be blood red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2004 08:36:03 AM »

What a great table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tracey
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004 01:20:12 PM »

Super idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An old door would also make a fabulous trunk lid! *(i think)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004 02:09:27 PM »

What an awesome idea for a coffee table!  I'm scouting the flea market this weekend for the perfect door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
craft-matic
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004 06:06:43 AM »

I made a door-coffee table last year sometime.  Only mine is long and low and dark blue.  I wish I could post a photo, but I can't at the moment. For the legs, instead of using table legs, which I didn't think would provide enough support for this door because it was full size, I used 12" by 3/4" boards, cut to the length of the depth of the coffee table (does that make sense?).  I used a double thickness of the boards, screwed them to one another from the inside, and screwed the table to the boards through the top, sinking the screws.  It's sturdy enough that I often use the ends of the table as little benches (the one by the TV specifically) and although the middle won't hold my weight, it will hold the weight of anything I put on there.  Best part, it's HUGE.  In my case, I didn't know where to go for an old door, being new to my area at the time.  So I used the $20 jobbie at home depot (I know I know.  But it was pre-primed!  No sanding!).  I get more compliments on my door table than anything else I own, except for my matching aluminum ladder shelves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004 06:01:42 PM »

wow i love that! such a good idea Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
tallulahwine

She was the still point in the turning world.-FSG.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004 02:44:45 AM »

We have a coffee table made from an old door in our home as well.  I started off with milk crates, very sturdy yet unattractive.  Then I found a set of four candlestick holders at GardenRidge for ten bucks and just threw some Model Magic on top of the short ones to make it level.  Low and behold, drunk roommate knocks it over and I invested in my first power tool to drill the NEW set of candle holders into the table, which the helpful man at Home depot informed me was oak.  Therefore, dense wood.  I felt like such a trooper though!  Power tools.  I don't even own a microwave!  Oh, a cool side note... the door is really old and we left the knob on because the lock fits a skeleton key which I have put on a chain and bolted to the door so when people stop by they always lock and unlock the door while they are hanging out.  Freud would have a field day I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

These songs are for you.-Leonard Cohen
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.-Oprah.
Do you remember when crayons were the coolest?
Bully rocks.  really.  they are girls.  grrr.
pipkin2020
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004 09:18:33 AM »

Great table - there are so many doors in skips round where I live.  I know someone who got a whole load from various dumps, and battened them all together to make a shed!  Anyway, I'm sure my DH would have a fit if I brought home a door  Grin 
I saw an idea for a door table once where someone had put a glass top on, and put big old keys in the 'display' space - from an antique shop, apparently.  Looked kinda nice.  The possibilities are endless - maybe art posters or retro wallpaper...
good luck with the 8-hour drive with a small person.  Top tip - GO AT NIGHT.  My mum lives 7 hours away, and we leave at 7pm, small person nods straight off, and we get there at 2am and just transfer her (and us!) to a bed.  Perfect, no hassle, no traffic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
riotpirate
Girl

My cat and I are in love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004 08:11:18 PM »

i love your door coffee table (and all the other surfaces you can make with doors!) i will definitely pick up the next door i see in order to make myself some furniture, as i don't have ANY. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...