A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Q on sealants & glue - pls advise  (Read 12671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madamspud169
Sewing machine

Me from a cpl of yrs ago

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2007 02:43:06 PM »

Q on using chalk.

Say for example I made a card & used chalk on the background, what is the best way to make it smudge proof? I know there's sealants you can buy but what exactly to buy, I have no idea. Can I just use a can of aerosol hairspray to set it?

Q on glue.

Theres such a wide variety of glue available, but I can't figure what type of glue is best to use with what material ie; paper, fabric, card, lace etc

If anyone would be so kind as to answer these questions I'd be really grateful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never mind horror films it's sewing machines that really scare me.
Pursuer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007 05:32:38 PM »

Hairspray works GREAT in a pinch!

Now, for the adhesives. For heavier items, I am falling in love with Glue Dots. Less mess, great hold.
Then for paper to paper, is use Elmer's Craft Bond Glue - it's effective and I only need a little dab in each corner.
If you have a piece of paper that's no more than 1 1/2" wide, you could check into Xyron runners... it's like making your own stickers, and it works great for/as adhesive.
Depending on the look, I found some really cheap clear photo corners too... those are greatfor just giving a little hold if you might want to take the picture off again to copy, finish distressing it, etc.

Another tip: If you don't want to spend so much on vellum, use tracing paper instead. Much cheaper. You could gently chalk over it, hairspray it and then you can have colored "vellum."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DebbieJ
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007 06:10:12 PM »

Be sure your glue is Acid Free and Archive Safe.  That is about all I know. LOL  I usually use Acid Free Glue sticks for gluing most anything.  But than I put my pages in page protectors too. 

You can always google Scrapbooking Tools and see what comes up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbie J
Homegrown Texan
tabykatt
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007 08:45:33 AM »

i know this is an old question, but...

i use super 77 for most things. it's easy because you just spray it on [i have issues with glue and getting it everything], and once it's on, it stays on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewrayme
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007 03:17:17 PM »

For the Chalks, I use a Fixative by Krylon.  You just spray it on and it's safe to use on your layouts.

Ahh, the glue question.  For Fabrics I use fabri-tac.  I also use Aleene's Tacky glue... works on A LOT of things.  For some of my projects I use a glue called Tombo.  Honestly, there are so many types of glues... just look in the glue section of say... Micheals.  They have them sorted for different uses (paper, fabric, metal etc.).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007 07:37:45 PM »

I like to use Elmer's spray-on glue.  It's easy to do and seems to stick better than glue sticks that most people use for scrapbooking.

The only downside is you have to let it set for an hour.  I'm impatient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
gg05
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007 11:58:29 AM »

I've always just used hairspray to set chalks and stuff. As for adhesives, I use Duck double stick adhesive rollers. They come in 4 packs at devil mart (walmart) for less than $9. If I have something 3d to stick on, I use glue dots. But so far, the duck seems to work for ribbon and fabrics. I also use my xyron...the little one for letters like I cut out with my cricut and the big one for random things. Then I also have this sakura glue pen. Its just like a gel ink pen but with glue instead of ink.
Anyway - hope that is helpful. I know the original question is kinda old but I just ran across it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC Challenge - 9/100
100 Happy Themes ATC Challenge - 1/100
*oops - got sidetracked on these somewhere along the way!*
fatandsassyopera
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007 02:18:12 PM »

i really like the 3m line of glue products for scrapbooking. THey are a bit pricier but they are acid adn ligrin free. I realy like their roll on adhesive that look slike a whiteout dispenser if you know what i mean.  Theirs is double side sticky for lay outs and if you dont' like where you placed the glue you can rub it off easily.  It is my favorite
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007 11:14:37 AM »

I third use the aerosol spray hairspray though, the pump kind doesn't work as well.  You can by a special spray in art stores to make chalk smudge proof, but it is expensive and hairspray works just as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BTStars
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007 04:19:19 PM »

I'm a broke college student and I'm stuck using gluesticks, which are fine, but I always get a little sad when i open up my books and find out a picture had fallen or something like that. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mickey Leigh and Legs McNeil Talk About I Slept with Joey Ramone
Ryan Brown Talks About Play Dead
Rebecca Chace Reveals Her Previous Occupation
Hape Kerkeling Reveals His Favorite Movie
Zebrafish: Behind the Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...