A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you ladies gather?  (Read 3793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007 08:38:40 PM »

Okay, the two versus one thing has always bothered me, especially since I am lazy lazy.  Thanks.

Another technique for those with sergers (or those who just want another excuse to get a serger).

Setting the differenial feed up with gather on very light material (its what you set higher when serging fleece or knits so they don't get larger as they're serged).

Or, pulling on the right needle thread gathers very nicely - the same as pulling on a bobbin thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007 08:57:21 PM »

ok  so  I  had to  gather  tonight and  the  directions  said to  do teh  2 thread  gather..... I  had  done  this  before   with  the  same  directions  but  yep  shortened  it to  one  baste...(lazy too)

anyway  tonight I did it  with the  2 baste  lines.  I  found  I had to  pull  both  bobbin threads  at teh  same  time to get  them to  gather  decent.   but  once I   figured that  part  out I  found  having 2  lines to  pull made  it  much  easier.... and  the  end  result  was  a  better  lay  and  gathered  look  ..... thanks to  all those that  hae  been  giving  us the  tips and  info!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
visforval

http://www.lolabee.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007 08:36:23 AM »

this is the greatest tip from my mom!

take a piece of waxed dental floss and zig-zag around the floss--when done--pull at either end and it will gather--

when your done sewing you can pull the piece of dental floss out and use it again.

it works great!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kymy
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007 11:41:15 AM »

Well I HATE gathering... most of my projects involve massive amounts of gathering, & I can never get it to be EVEN.  Anyways I splurged & spent the $3.74 for the gathering foot for my machine (sewing, the serger one is more)  Another method that I am in LOVE with is gathering with clear elastic!!!  I thing the elastic is .46 a yard at my local fabric store... anyways its easy to use & looks wonderful & perfectly even!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007 02:39:57 PM »

Yes, Kymy, clear elastic!

Here's a tute for anyone interested:
http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/gathering-with-clear-elastic.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmonkeymae
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007 04:34:39 PM »

take a piece of waxed dental floss and zig-zag around the floss--when done--pull at either end and it will gather--

when your done sewing you can pull the piece of dental floss out and use it again.

This always sounds wonderfully simple...but I've never done this gathering version because I have this question:  When you pull out the floss after gathering how do you secure the material so the gather stays put?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gee-nettie
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007 12:42:08 PM »

Newbie to craftster here!  Great website!!!

I have a question for those that have used a gathering foot.  I have been frustrated with it because it is rather unpredictable.  If you have a certain place to insert a gathered piece it has to be gathered just right.  How do you do that with a gathering foot?  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boingo82
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007 01:13:17 AM »

I put my stitch length to the maximum, then put my top tension as tight as it will go, and watch the fabric gather itself. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaberella
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007 02:53:22 PM »

I put my stitch length to the maximum, then put my top tension as tight as it will go, and watch the fabric gather itself. Wink

That sounds kind of brilliant. I am SO trying that. I have the clear elastic, which I haven't tried yet, and I have the elastic thread, which I also haven't tried yet. BUT, this sounds the easiest of all. I'll be in touch Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Doodleabby
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007 04:10:26 PM »

I would LOVE to do it that way but I don't have a tension control that I can see.  I have a Pfaff and I don't see anywhere that I can change my tension.  I have a gathering foot that I used yesterday, but I wound up with extra fabric that wasn't supposed to be gathered and the gathered part was so un-straight that I had holes in the dress.  I had to re-do that... grrr Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy Thoughts and Warm Hugs!
Bonnie

http://doodlebuggys.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Bright Lipstick
Quick Tips for a Polished and Professional Makeup
Easy Mirror-Free Makeup Touch-Ups
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial for a Perfect Natural Look
Skin Authority Product Review
Latest Blog Articles
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...