A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Something for brother-in-law in Iraq  (Read 394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shannon12
« on: April 10, 2007 06:22:12 AM »

I was thinking of making a little something for my brother-in-law, who is currently in Iraq  Cry. I am at a loss for idea. Can anybody give me any suggestions of what I can possibly stitch up for him to send along? I guess nothing too big cause he will have to carry it around. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adetten
Jen the Jew

You got to pick up every stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 06:52:03 AM »

Iraq is one of the toughest places when it comes to soldier caring items. But I understand your problem (brother went 1 round in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq, and going back to afg soon)

Think something small, very sturdy, and something non-detailed too. (This has to hold up through sand, sweat, and wear.) Thats if he's in the field. There are also those that have small cement bunkers included in supply compounds and main bases. If thats the case then you have allot more options.

So basically if hes a foot soldier or in a tank or truck (like my brother) and he's out on missions. I'd say a bracelet, a tag, something that lets him know his family loves him. Even something as simple as a cloth bracelet with his initials on it is nice. Maybe even a book marker or something he could stick in his boot or helmet.

If he's on a base, they usually allow small personal items, such as blankets, photos books, and larger items. A nice quilt with embroidery, or theres always the dusk cloths that they pick up from local vendors you could make one and put his initials on it. Initialed gun cleaning clothes, weapons are cleaned routinely to combat the dirt and dust that could potentially jam and cause a weapon to misfire

No matter how small it is, how detailed, how whatever, he will love it and cherish it because it comes from his home and his old family. Especially if he is in a high combat zone, it will help him stay connected and stay sane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What about simple people like you and me, All we wanna do is have some fun, bring some joy to everyone, play some music that makes you move, watch you shake your body and groove, bob your head to the beat and rock steady, Let me know when your ready, burn some herb and get irie.." - Outlaw Nation
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007 07:39:10 AM »

Maybe Adetten or someone who is more familiar with the military can comment on this, but what about something he can wear?  Is there some item of clothing that could be discretely embellished with good wishes from your family, something that wouldn't embarrass him or violate whatever standards of dress he has to follow?  I'm thinking of something like a t-shirt or boxers, but I really like the idea of the cloths or whatever.  It seems like something small and personal that he could have near him would be comforting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adetten
Jen the Jew

You got to pick up every stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007 04:09:56 PM »

Maybe Adetten or someone who is more familiar with the military can comment on this, but what about something he can wear?  Is there some item of clothing that could be discretely embellished with good wishes from your family, something that wouldn't embarrass him or violate whatever standards of dress he has to follow?  I'm thinking of something like a t-shirt or boxers, but I really like the idea of the cloths or whatever.  It seems like something small and personal that he could have near him would be comforting.

yes you can send him clothing that would have embellishments on it but it does depend on what situation he is in. If you do though you must remember that anything that is worn will not be washed on a daily basis, and will have a large amount of sweat, dirt, grease, and other fluids on it. Also look for undershirts, boxers, and socks be sure they are resistant and what not. But then again this depends on what he's doing for a job and depending upon which service branch he is in. Army does not stick to the assigned job so everything must be versatile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What about simple people like you and me, All we wanna do is have some fun, bring some joy to everyone, play some music that makes you move, watch you shake your body and groove, bob your head to the beat and rock steady, Let me know when your ready, burn some herb and get irie.." - Outlaw Nation
BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007 03:13:10 PM »

Helmet liner? I saw a site that was doing a knitting project for those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's a real burn, being right so often" - Malcomb Reynolds

Some of my illustrations:
http://www.dreamstime.com/easystreet_portfolio_pg1
My greeting card store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/easystreet
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mr. Bean from the Animated Series
Merging HDR Photos in a New Way
Roundtrip Editing with Adobe Photoshop
How to Sora of Kingdom Hearts
How to Create Photo Books with Lightroom 4
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...