A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,307
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] fiber arts?  (Read 3064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennybean
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005 09:15:52 AM »

i think the knitting and crochet/misc weaving boards all need a reorganization. for example, spinning is under the knitting board and crochet is lumped with miscellaneous weaving.
i would be surprised if leah wasn't already thinking of this, what with the new debbie stoller crochet book in the works and all.

edit: i just realized the spinning board is brand new (i saw leah's note in the news up top) and i wanted to add i think it's great, but it would make sense to have it in a more general area because you can do things besides knit with spun yarn.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005 03:10:21 PM by jennybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005 11:41:18 AM »

jennybean and others...  Can you suggest a sensible break down for categories that includes all of the various things you do with fibers?

Perhaps list out your suggestion like this:

FIBER ARTS
-> Knitting
-> Knit-A-Longs
-> Crochet
-> Crochet-A-Longs
-> Misc Weaving
-> Spinning
-> Debbie Stoller's Stitch & Bitch Books

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
bea-bea
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005 12:11:17 PM »

"Fiber Arts" is how my mind would generally categorize anything that had to do with manipulating fibers so thse are the words I'd look for first. I think a distinction has to be made between the things people do with cloth (like quilting or sewing clothes) and the things which people do with fiber, which is broad enough to include things like felting, spinning, fusing stuff together to make a fabric, encrusting fabric, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005 12:50:29 PM »

leah, you are ultra talented. you have already made a wonderful list. but since you asked, i will attempt one too. Smiley warning: i dont know a lot about fiber arts! my point of view is that i am a newish crocheter who feels bad for the misc. weavers whose stuff is buried in that category and who is curious about other fiber arts. i think itd be nice to have a set-up where one could easily explore other things to do with yarn by creating a big umbrella of fiber arts. thats where my suggestion came from.

so here's my list  

FIBER ARTS
->Knitting
  -->Completed
  -->Discussion
  -->Knit-a-Longs
  -->SNB Books Projects
->Crochet
  -->Completed
  -->Discussion
  -->Crochet-a-Longs
  -->Debbie Stoller's Crochet Book projects
->Spinning/Dyeing
->Weaving
->Felting
->Purchased Yarn/Brands of Yarn (i dont know if its too specific, but this is a category where people could discuss substitutions, favorites, gripes, websites for purchasing, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005 02:48:28 AM »

Perhaps its the inner geek in me -- I love these suggestions, and wanted to add one. Would it be possible to add a section in fiber arts for macrame/hemp stuff? I've been trying to look for stuff on the site, and it seems to be fairly spread out. A lot of it is jewellry, but there's a lot of macrame/hemp stuff that isn't that's kinda lost in the miscelaneous shuffle. And also, macrame is super cool and deserves its oven board! Er, yes....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
corduroy cat
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005 04:12:01 AM »

thanks for starting this topic up again andi_sunrider! i would LOVE a felting board. how come only spinning and weaving made it into the fibre arts category??? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005 04:32:24 AM »

i also think a felting board would be great!  it would be nice to have a place for hand-felted items (as opposed to items made with craft felt) so they're easier to find.  yay for felting!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my website!  thecleverkitty.com
and my etsy shop! www.thecleverkitty.etsy.com
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005 10:26:23 AM »

yes! i get excited every time a topic says "felt", only to be dissapointed when it's craft felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005 10:55:25 AM »

yeah!  I have some felted projects to post, once I take some decent photos, and an appropriate place to put them would we wonderful!

Does anyone think each fiber arts category should have its own "discussion & questions" and "completed projects" sections, or are felting/weaving/spinning unpopular enough that it would be ok to put discussions, questions, and finished projects all together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
corduroy cat
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005 04:57:06 AM »

hmm i guess it depends on how crowded the weaving and spinning boards are now. i think a category of our own would be nice, especially if we can break it up into sections. would we break it down further into wet felting, dry felting/needle felting, so it doesnt become confusing trying to find topics on one or the other? isn't there also felting for people who knit, or is that the same as wet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Soup Dumplings
How To Make Sushi Rice At Your Home
How to Make Japanese Katsudon
String Beans with Sesame Seasoning Recipe
How to Make Kakitama-Jiru
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...