A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] fiber arts?  (Read 2830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2004 05:34:14 PM »

hi.

i'm a needle felter (among other things) and i know there is a weaving place.  could it maybe combine witha  few other miscellaneous things to be a fiber arts area instead?  there are more of us out there, i know it!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009 04:22:37 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004 05:51:26 AM »

Would that include spinning?Huh I am quite new to this whole spinning thing (still haven't even put the drop spindle together...I'm lazy) and keep using up my fiber to make felted soaps....bad me!! But I would love it if we had a board specifically for fiber stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
portobello
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004 08:31:59 PM »

Yes, yes, yes. I think weaving is included in crocheting, or something, which is wierd. It's hard to browse for weaving stuff within another category.

Plus I'd love to get information about felting, spinning, etc..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayla
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004 09:41:49 PM »

hi!
this is my first post, i've been looking around the site for a while!!
i would be really intrested in a fiber arts area, i have just started to felt, and weve  i've been a long time knitter
and was just introduced to  spinning, so it all sounds likea good idea to me! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004 06:10:50 AM »

what ahve you been felting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leslieduckie
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005 03:03:44 PM »

I too would love a fiber arts area. I'm always doing searches for felting and needlefelting to see what other folks are making. It'd be great for felting and other fiber arts to have their own area in Craftster. I make felted flowers hair pins and brooch pins.

Since this isn't the place to post pics, here's just a link: http://liability.tekno.us/~leslie/albums/artsandcrafts/IMG_0842.sized.jpg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005 03:16:59 PM by leslieduckie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
Accessories for the Feisty-Minded
www.feistyelle.com
Super K
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005 03:26:22 PM »

I second the motion...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ophelia
*OpHeLiA*

i <3 craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005 12:05:01 AM »

HECK YEAH!
Fiber arts is a lost art - more specifically weaving.

It was my mother's major in college (during the 70's) and I have been waiting forever for it to come back.   Is there any other weavers out there?

I have tons of weaving projects, and books with tutorials and I don't know where the heck to post the stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005 05:24:50 PM »

now that there's a spnning board, for whatever it's worth, I think that it and weaving should be part of a new fiber arts board.  fiber arts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missgeekcore
Duchess of geeks.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005 08:51:19 AM »

I think a fiber arts area would be wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennybean
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005 09:15:52 AM »

i think the knitting and crochet/misc weaving boards all need a reorganization. for example, spinning is under the knitting board and crochet is lumped with miscellaneous weaving.
i would be surprised if leah wasn't already thinking of this, what with the new debbie stoller crochet book in the works and all.

edit: i just realized the spinning board is brand new (i saw leah's note in the news up top) and i wanted to add i think it's great, but it would make sense to have it in a more general area because you can do things besides knit with spun yarn.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005 03:10:21 PM by jennybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005 11:41:18 AM »

jennybean and others...  Can you suggest a sensible break down for categories that includes all of the various things you do with fibers?

Perhaps list out your suggestion like this:

FIBER ARTS
-> Knitting
-> Knit-A-Longs
-> Crochet
-> Crochet-A-Longs
-> Misc Weaving
-> Spinning
-> Debbie Stoller's Stitch & Bitch Books

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
bea-bea
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005 12:11:17 PM »

"Fiber Arts" is how my mind would generally categorize anything that had to do with manipulating fibers so thse are the words I'd look for first. I think a distinction has to be made between the things people do with cloth (like quilting or sewing clothes) and the things which people do with fiber, which is broad enough to include things like felting, spinning, fusing stuff together to make a fabric, encrusting fabric, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005 12:50:29 PM »

leah, you are ultra talented. you have already made a wonderful list. but since you asked, i will attempt one too. Smiley warning: i dont know a lot about fiber arts! my point of view is that i am a newish crocheter who feels bad for the misc. weavers whose stuff is buried in that category and who is curious about other fiber arts. i think itd be nice to have a set-up where one could easily explore other things to do with yarn by creating a big umbrella of fiber arts. thats where my suggestion came from.

so here's my list  

FIBER ARTS
->Knitting
  -->Completed
  -->Discussion
  -->Knit-a-Longs
  -->SNB Books Projects
->Crochet
  -->Completed
  -->Discussion
  -->Crochet-a-Longs
  -->Debbie Stoller's Crochet Book projects
->Spinning/Dyeing
->Weaving
->Felting
->Purchased Yarn/Brands of Yarn (i dont know if its too specific, but this is a category where people could discuss substitutions, favorites, gripes, websites for purchasing, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005 02:48:28 AM »

Perhaps its the inner geek in me -- I love these suggestions, and wanted to add one. Would it be possible to add a section in fiber arts for macrame/hemp stuff? I've been trying to look for stuff on the site, and it seems to be fairly spread out. A lot of it is jewellry, but there's a lot of macrame/hemp stuff that isn't that's kinda lost in the miscelaneous shuffle. And also, macrame is super cool and deserves its oven board! Er, yes....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
corduroy cat
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005 04:12:01 AM »

thanks for starting this topic up again andi_sunrider! i would LOVE a felting board. how come only spinning and weaving made it into the fibre arts category??? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005 04:32:24 AM »

i also think a felting board would be great!  it would be nice to have a place for hand-felted items (as opposed to items made with craft felt) so they're easier to find.  yay for felting!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my website!  thecleverkitty.com
and my etsy shop! www.thecleverkitty.etsy.com
rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005 10:26:23 AM »

yes! i get excited every time a topic says "felt", only to be dissapointed when it's craft felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005 10:55:25 AM »

yeah!  I have some felted projects to post, once I take some decent photos, and an appropriate place to put them would we wonderful!

Does anyone think each fiber arts category should have its own "discussion & questions" and "completed projects" sections, or are felting/weaving/spinning unpopular enough that it would be ok to put discussions, questions, and finished projects all together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
corduroy cat
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005 04:57:06 AM »

hmm i guess it depends on how crowded the weaving and spinning boards are now. i think a category of our own would be nice, especially if we can break it up into sections. would we break it down further into wet felting, dry felting/needle felting, so it doesnt become confusing trying to find topics on one or the other? isn't there also felting for people who knit, or is that the same as wet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005 03:50:12 AM »

hmm, i'm getting frustrated looking for feltling stuff on here! how do we go about asking Leah to look into this?Huh? Sad

ATTN LEAH: WE NEED A BOARD FOR FELTERS !!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005 06:26:22 AM »

Just added this! Smiley I also moved a bunch of posts in this new folder but whenever you guys encounter a felting-related post that belongs in there, you can hit the Report to Moderator button and say that it needs to be moved into Felting.

A question for you felters...

When someone posts a project or a question about felting a knit or crocheted item -- Should that stay in the Knitting / Crochet boards or be put this new Felting board?

For now I've ONLY been moving threads about non-knit and non-crochet felting into the new Felting board.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005 06:29:01 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
corduroy cat
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005 07:02:20 AM »

ooh thanks so much leigh! you work fast, lol Cheesy

my view on wet felting knit items is that it probably would be good to put it in this board. reason being, some people don't actually knit the items they felt, sometimes old sweaters are used to create bags, etc. so my thinking is that the process of wet felting exisiting items is a craft in itself. this being said, i myself don't knit, so the people who do might have a different opinion.

any wet felters here have an opinion?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leslieduckie
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005 04:37:03 PM »

Hooray! Thanks Leah! I agree with teamwang that wetfelting knits should stay with the knitting board. Wetfelting exists as a process in and of itself outside of knitting so it's probably best to keep them separate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
Accessories for the Feisty-Minded
www.feistyelle.com
meg4568
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005 05:37:45 PM »

yeah, this is how i feel. (sorry if i sound snotty)

The process of felting a knitting a bag and felting it is so much simpler and doesnt actually involve "hand felting" so i think they should be seperate... also, i worry that knitting and crochet will flood the felting board if they are added. (I'm a felt SNOB, i know)

but thanks SOOOO much for the board. As a pro-felter, i really appreciate it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005 12:12:23 PM »

I think a bunch of people who do felt knits would get confused and make a lot of wrong posts. I have knowledge of both realms tho I do not needle felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chicken and Dumplings
Discover 5 Breakfast Casseroles
How to Make Sausage and Cheddar Grits with Fried Eggs
How to Make an Easy Mac and Cheese
How to Cook Pork Chops With Roasted Apples and Onions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...