A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,027
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ceiling Disaster?  (Read 1769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bagheera
D 僆!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2007 10:47:10 AM »

HELP! Shocked

I printed one of those "rasterbations" (basically an image made of dots), and my mother advised me to use this double-sided tape. Well, I got bored of it and tried to take it down...

Detail of ceiling...

How (aside from painting) can I fix these brown spots that are currently nicely lined up in a rectangle shape above my head? Thanks!!!

(I figured this would go in either the Misc. discussion or Stitch'n'Botch... since it's more Botch and less Craft, I put it here. Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Death Note as I am? Clickies and show your support for a swap! Grin
---
As I lay back, looking at the stars, I began to wonder...
Where the heck did my roof go???
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007 10:52:25 AM »

You could staple some fabric above your room in a tent like fashion and create a faux canopy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyTuesday
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007 11:15:09 AM »

material's a good idea or you could always use old CDs - Here's a pic from the Craftster CD thread:

This is my ceiling (so far):
There up there with super glue, which seems to be working very well.
I have about 100 more I need to put up, I just haven't had the time.
 Smiley
omg i love this idea all though if i did it my mum would freak. GREAT JOB!!  Grin

Thread link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19564.0

or like this:

... but i can't imagine what the ceiling would look like when the CDs had been removed! ..might just make matters even worse  Wink

(edited--please don't leave an image in a quote, thanks!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007 06:06:20 PM by EmilyFlew » THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007 07:22:22 PM »

Is that tape residue left up there?
Or is that what's left after the tape pulled the ceiling paint finish off?

Even if you paint it you'd probably have to prime it first with some kind of something, maybe Kilz would do it.

Here's the good news, though- nothing brightens up a room like painting the ceiling with a fresh coat of ceiling paint. You'll wonder why you didn't notice how dingy it had been!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragongirl17
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007 08:31:00 AM »

hmm if you tore too far through you might have to use some spackle or something like that to go over those brown areas before painting. I know from my mother trying to take down wallpaper by just tearing it off the wall. She tore through the sheet rock many times and not just in one room, but in two rooms, I'm still repairing all those little spots like 4 years later *note I am extremely lazy about fixing things other than my sewing machine*
  But anyway if you do that all you have to do is smooth a little spackle over the spots and after its dry sand it down so its nice and smooth and then you can just prime and paint
  Hmm maybe I'll actually work on sanding my walls down a bit more today I just hate how much dust it creates since I'm doing such large areas and we don't even have a vacuum with attachments to get into all those little corners *pouts*
  anyway ignore my ramblings, good luck in whatever you decide to do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the future of America.... Be afraid, be VERY afraid

check out my stuff on ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/silverlilypetal/
bagheera
D 僆!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007 08:50:05 AM »

Ugh, it looks like painting will be the way to go. Sad I hate painting, and it's a rented place, so I was trying to avoid painting! Tongue How ironic.

It isn't tape residue, it's the layer below the ceiling paint.

Thanks for your help and advice -- I may just go with some posters (this time, I'll use poster tape!) or CD's for now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Death Note as I am? Clickies and show your support for a swap! Grin
---
As I lay back, looking at the stars, I began to wonder...
Where the heck did my roof go???
McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007 11:03:01 AM »

Thanks for your help and advice -- I may just go with some posters (this time, I'll use poster tape!) or CD's for now. Smiley

From now on, you might just want to use that PlastiTak stuff (sometimes called poster putty) for posters and other things you'll want to cover rented walls with.....it's kind of like silly putty, but doesn't leave any residue at all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Queen of the Savages
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007 11:30:09 AM »

From now on, you might just want to use that PlastiTak stuff (sometimes called poster putty) for posters and other things you'll want to cover rented walls with.....it's kind of like silly putty, but doesn't leave any residue at all...

BluTack is amazing. I use it for everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icemaiden
CSI addict!!

Annoy me...I'll set my pet sock,stripy, on you!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007 10:24:13 AM »

Blu-tack sometimes leaves a residue......i use white tack.Probably same stuff but its what they gave us when we moved into halls to stop that problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall,ninety-nine bottles of beer.Swab one down,run it through CODIS,ninety-eight bottles of beer on the wall"

"Would you mind if I took a picture for my bite collection?"
"Whatever rubs your Buddha."

"Don't touch me.I'm evidence
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007 10:50:44 AM »

I paint houses to pay bills and buy craft supplies- You could always just try to touch it up by daubing paint in those areas..Sometimes you can get away with that, but often it just makes it obvious the whole ceiling needs done.
It doesn't take that long- get a drop or plastic- extension pole- jammin music and off you go.
RubyTuesday- what an AWESOME CD ceiling!!!
I will have to do that some day
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Man Protests Museum By Destroying $1 Million Vase
5 Things You Never Knew About Scrabble
Performa 13 Shingerview: RoseLee Goldberg
Top 10 Worst Movie Accents
Performa 13: Shingerviews – Jennifer Wen Ma
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...