A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: blocking....  (Read 2728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007 10:14:05 AM »

i would just like to say that i blocked a sweater with pins for the first time last night and i must retract my statement above about pins not being necessary...  i stand awed and cowed by the power of pins.  incedentally, i used a mat that we use for camping and the carpet to pin the sweater to.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007 02:15:09 PM »

I have one of those big accordion-folding cardboard thingies that are meant for cutting fabric on, and I often use that for blocking. I just unfold it on the floor in the spare bedroom, cover it with towels, and pin the knitted pieces to it. I'm also a fan of blocking before seaming, since it makes the edges so much tidier.
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007 11:23:07 AM »

i have to reblock my clapotis... i washed it and then threw it in the dryer b/c the yarn label said i could... damn thing went back to it's pre-blocked form!  Cry

i'm going to try the "towels on the floor" thing that many of you mentioned b/c i know i won't be able to get away with using the spare bed for blocking again (the perils of living with the parents)

so from now on i am going to put my clapotis on the drying rack and never ever in the dryer!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007 05:48:04 PM »

I was actually just coming here to ask if I should block the good ole cabled scarf made from Lion Brand Wool Ease?  (mostly acrylic, partly wool).  will blocking do anything?  It's a present for my partner so I have to plan carefully if I want to block it, that's why I'm asking instead of just trying it.  (ok maybe also because I'm a bit lazy!)

just for fun here is a pic of the scarf.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007 06:05:16 PM by arabella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007 07:30:05 PM »

With that much acrylic I'm not sure how much you'll have success with blocking to set a permanent shape - worth trying IMO - but even with 100% acrylic, it will even and set the stitches nicely. Don't use steam unless you've tried it on a swatch first: some people like the way it goes soft, others feel it kills the item and takes away body/shape, makes it too floppy.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007 07:33:04 PM »

I agree with Sarah on all her blocking/not-blocking advice.  But frankly, it doesn't look like your scarf needs much help.  You did a great job, and any minor irregularities add to its charm as a handknit.
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007 08:06:55 PM »

With acrylic or a blend, just wash and dry can help even out the stitches.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007 09:18:06 AM »

I'm almost done knitting a sweater and i'm using 100% acryllic (its for a friend in southern california) and im not sure how to block it.  Its interweave knits arwen (second project down):

the cableing is scrunching up and i want to even it all out but ive heard that blocking it wont do much.  is there any way i can even it all out?

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007 12:13:55 PM »

Once more -- you don't need to block acrylic; it's not like wool or cotton where you can push or pull it into shape and it stays there. Wash and dry will even out the stitches; you can let it dry flat rather than in the dryer, but that doesn't have much effect on the size. It needs to be knit to the size you want.

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007 04:59:01 PM »

thank you so much!  I wish blocking would somehow magically make all my cables the same size!  oh well, hopefully he'll love it anyway because I made it for him with my own two hands and it took months!   I just wish I'd started when I knew more about yarn so that I could have done it in something nice instead of Wool ease.  it's not bad but I hope he doesn't compare it longingly to some of the lovely soft yarns I have in my stash now!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sichuan Mapo Tofu
How to Make Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 2
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 1
How to Cook Somen Noodles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...