A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: blocking....  (Read 2254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creepyhugger
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007 10:14:05 AM »

i would just like to say that i blocked a sweater with pins for the first time last night and i must retract my statement above about pins not being necessary...  i stand awed and cowed by the power of pins.  incedentally, i used a mat that we use for camping and the carpet to pin the sweater to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007 02:15:09 PM »

I have one of those big accordion-folding cardboard thingies that are meant for cutting fabric on, and I often use that for blocking. I just unfold it on the floor in the spare bedroom, cover it with towels, and pin the knitted pieces to it. I'm also a fan of blocking before seaming, since it makes the edges so much tidier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007 11:23:07 AM »

i have to reblock my clapotis... i washed it and then threw it in the dryer b/c the yarn label said i could... damn thing went back to it's pre-blocked form!  Cry

i'm going to try the "towels on the floor" thing that many of you mentioned b/c i know i won't be able to get away with using the spare bed for blocking again (the perils of living with the parents)

so from now on i am going to put my clapotis on the drying rack and never ever in the dryer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
arabella
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007 05:48:04 PM »

I was actually just coming here to ask if I should block the good ole cabled scarf made from Lion Brand Wool Ease?  (mostly acrylic, partly wool).  will blocking do anything?  It's a present for my partner so I have to plan carefully if I want to block it, that's why I'm asking instead of just trying it.  (ok maybe also because I'm a bit lazy!)

just for fun here is a pic of the scarf.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007 06:05:16 PM by arabella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007 07:30:05 PM »

With that much acrylic I'm not sure how much you'll have success with blocking to set a permanent shape - worth trying IMO - but even with 100% acrylic, it will even and set the stitches nicely. Don't use steam unless you've tried it on a swatch first: some people like the way it goes soft, others feel it kills the item and takes away body/shape, makes it too floppy.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chevykaylor
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007 07:33:04 PM »

I agree with Sarah on all her blocking/not-blocking advice.  But frankly, it doesn't look like your scarf needs much help.  You did a great job, and any minor irregularities add to its charm as a handknit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007 08:06:55 PM »

With acrylic or a blend, just wash and dry can help even out the stitches.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
katie_ramone9
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007 09:18:06 AM »

I'm almost done knitting a sweater and i'm using 100% acryllic (its for a friend in southern california) and im not sure how to block it.  Its interweave knits arwen (second project down):
http://www.interweaveknits.com/preview/2006_winter.asp

the cableing is scrunching up and i want to even it all out but ive heard that blocking it wont do much.  is there any way i can even it all out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007 12:13:55 PM »

Once more -- you don't need to block acrylic; it's not like wool or cotton where you can push or pull it into shape and it stays there. Wash and dry will even out the stitches; you can let it dry flat rather than in the dryer, but that doesn't have much effect on the size. It needs to be knit to the size you want.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
arabella
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007 04:59:01 PM »

thank you so much!  I wish blocking would somehow magically make all my cables the same size!  oh well, hopefully he'll love it anyway because I made it for him with my own two hands and it took months!   I just wish I'd started when I knew more about yarn so that I could have done it in something nice instead of Wool ease.  it's not bad but I hope he doesn't compare it longingly to some of the lovely soft yarns I have in my stash now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Use Heated Rollers
How to Cut Your Own Fringe
How to Dry Your Hair
How to Style Naturally Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...